PDA

View Full Version : If you were told, "We'll be 7-4 heading into the bye-week . . ."

Craic
11-17-2014, 11:28 PM
As the title says, forget everything we think we know about the Steelers. Jump back to the Saturday before the first game.

Now, if you were told that we'd be 7-4 heading into the week 11 bye, with a fifth best conference record (and first best in our division), splitting games with the Browns and Ravens, half a game behind the Bungles for first place, and currently sitting in the last playoff spot, but with the distinct possibility of moving into the third spot quickly, what would you have thought?

Personally, after two 8-8 seasons, I would have taken it without a second thought.

zulater
11-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah I get your point. But we have played the Titans, the Bucs, the Jets, the Panthers, and the Jaguars. Five of the crappiest teams in the league.

X-Terminator
11-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Yeah I get your point. But we have played the Titans, the Bucs, the Jets, the Panthers, and the Jaguars. Five of the crappiest teams in the league.

The team doesn't make the schedule. They just play the games.

Craic
11-17-2014, 11:43 PM

Actually, I don't have a point. I just wondered what people would say. I'm kind of surprised at the record. And, knowing that crappy teams are our achilles heel, hey, that might not be a bad thing going 7-4 against five bad teams. Now if we can just keep up that identity, since we have no more bad teams on the schedule (I think), we'll be in the SB. :wink02:

zulater
11-17-2014, 11:48 PM
You're right. If you told me after the Browns loss they would be 7-4 at this point I would have accused you of smoking some funny stuff. Still hope this games is a springboard and not just a temporary high.

Butch
11-17-2014, 11:51 PM

Yes but we lost to two of those teams, barely beat two more and wiped out the last one when everyone thought they were good. Maybe we were lucky to face Carolina early. I agree with Craic that easy teams are our achilles heel, so in answer to the question, yes I am surprised.

Steelerette
11-18-2014, 12:05 AM
It all depends whether this bye week is a chance to heal... or a momentum killer. It would be a very nice spot to go into a bye for any normal team.

But this hasn't been a normal team since... well ever. Even that '79 team got their ass beat by the Bengals.

steelreserve
11-18-2014, 12:05 AM
I would've thought it was a real possibility, given our soft schedule and the fact that everyone else in the division also had serious problems.

However, I wouldn't have expected us to get to 7-4 by winning the hard games and losing the easy ones.

Lady Steel
11-18-2014, 12:36 AM

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Actually, I don't have a point. I just wondered what people would say. I'm kind of surprised at the record. And, knowing that crappy teams are our achilles heel, hey, that might not be a bad thing going 7-4 against five bad teams. Now if we can just keep up that identity, since we have no more bad teams on the schedule (I think), we'll be in the SB. :wink02:

They do have the 4-6 Falcons and 4-6 Saints on the schedule. The Saints are truly horrid on the road, so they might have a shot there. They never play well against the Falcons, though, especially in Atlanta. The other 3 games are against the Bungles (2) and Chiefs, both teams with winning records.

SCSTILLER
11-18-2014, 12:54 AM

Well, when it comes to the Steelers, they only play some of the games some of the time.

Aussie_steeler
11-18-2014, 03:21 AM
I was on record for this team going 6-10

I am here to eat humble pie.

This team is winning despite the inherent deficiencies that I still see.

Glad the 2014 schizophrenic steelers proved me wrong.

Getting Ike, Shazier, Jarvis, Steve Mac and Troy back on the field can only be a good thing.

Dwinsgames
11-18-2014, 05:06 AM

technically we have played 4 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL ( Raiders missing and Panthers removed )

we stand at 2-2 in those 4 games ......

Count Steeler
11-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Day 1 of the season, yeah I would take it.

Now, knowing the blown opportunities and how easily we could have a better record, D+.

GBMelBlount
11-18-2014, 06:38 AM
I am pleased.

I think this team is on it's way up.

Both the offense and defense are young and improving.

Also, our defense, which was the biggest X factor this season, has what, 5 starters out with injuries?

I consider us fortunate to be in the running all things considered.

We get our defensive starters back by the end of the season it could be a fun finish. :crossed:

harrison'samonster
11-18-2014, 07:43 AM
if I were told that we'd be 7-4 heading in to the bye I couldn't be happier. I understand people are upset about who we lost to, but a loss is a loss. The only thing you can do is learn and move on.

Looking forward, we need the players coming back from injury to step up and it would be great to see Tuitt break into the starting line-up. The future is looking bright, but we need to fix the D-line and hopefully more time with Munchak will have our O-line being a force. Might take another year to see this team play the way we want to see it.

86WARD
11-18-2014, 07:48 AM
At the beginning of the season (and with what we know now,) I would not have taken this record. They should've lost two games to this point IMO. One against the Ravens, one against the Colts. Maybe being a little overly optimistic at the beginning? Sure. But looking at the schedule and knowing the talent on this team. I don't think it was that overly optimistic.

Now 7-4? It's okay. Could be a lot worse.

st33lersguy
11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Before the season started, I was expecting this 7-4 start, and will take it after 2 8-8 seasons

ALLD
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Making us the best of the crappy teams, even though we lost to a couple of the others.

polamalubeast
11-18-2014, 04:59 PM
The Steelers have only played 3 good games this year....Panthers, Colts and Ravens

The 4 loss were also very ugly(by 20 at Baltimore,by 21 in Cleveland,loss vs 2-8 Jets and Bucs)....This is one of the worst 7-4 I have seen in my life

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
The Steelers have only played 3 good games this year....Panthers, Colts and Ravens

The 4 loss were also very ugly(by 20 at Baltimore,by 21 in Cleveland,loss vs 2-8 Jets and Bucs)....This is one of the worst 7-4 I have seen in my life

But they're still 7-4. At this point, who the eff cares how they got there?

Anyway, it's still looking good for my 10-6 record, which I stuck with even after they lost to Cleveland when everyone else was predicting 5-11.

Steeltreal
11-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Everyone here knows what We do in December!

Shoes
11-18-2014, 10:15 PM
I believe my prediction was *8-8 possibly 9-7* I still think that's where the Steelers will finish, but would be delighted to be wrong.

X-Terminator
11-18-2014, 11:31 PM
I believe my prediction was *8-8 possibly 9-7* I still think that's where the Steelers will finish, but would be delighted to be wrong.

With 3 of their 5 remaining games at home, I'm thinking you will be. But of course, this team is impossible to predict from week to week, so nothing is off the table.

Shoes
11-18-2014, 11:50 PM
With 3 of their 5 remaining games at home, I'm thinking you will be. But of course, this team is impossible to predict from week to week, so nothing is off the table.

:chuckle:

fansince'76
11-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Well, I predicted 11-5 before the season, and that's where I'm sticking. Especially considering that Troy, Shamarko, Shazier, Jones and Ike could all be back after the bye.

fansince'76
11-19-2014, 04:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ee02WLxGk

:chuckle:

steel striker
11-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Hey I'll take it and, still a chance to win the division.

blackngldblood
11-19-2014, 02:43 PM
It's not the seven and four that I'll take, it's the being a half game back from the division lead and having to play the division leaders twice in December that I'll take. After the last two seasons, with five games left, knowing this team controls its own destiny instead of having to pray that 5 teams lose every freakin week is pretty nice. No unneeded band wagoning! Woo hoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelreserve
11-19-2014, 03:21 PM
I had them going 10-6, you can look it up. That sounds about right for now. I'm guessing we'll lose to Atlanta and New Orleans and beat all the teams with winning records.

Then first playoff game - against Denver in Denver. I guess that's not as bad since Clark doesn't play for us anymore, but still.

blackngldblood
11-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I had them going 10-6, you can look it up. That sounds about right for now. I'm guessing we'll lose to Atlanta and New Orleans and beat all the teams with winning records.

Then first playoff game - against Denver in Denver. I guess that's not as bad since Clark doesn't play for us anymore, but still.

We would be without a FS with or without Clark anyways, haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk