PDA

View Full Version : 3 Things I Saw I Liked (or something like that)

tony hipchest
08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Farrior doesnt look slow or washed up or like he's lost a step.

timmons looks huge AND fast!

troy lining up on the line of scrimmage seems to limit or dictate what the offense wants to do.

Dixon seems to have more experience than one NFL start.

burnett didnt drop this one.

aaron smith got a sack.

redman rebounded from injury and quickly got back in the game. musta had the wind knocked out of him.

mewelde is still a serviceable back up.

a. brown seems to have more experience than 1 preseason game. neither rookie wr has dropped a ball yet.

i like some raw emotion and some chippyness from ike but punching a helmet is straight up stupid (looked like he got in an upper cut to the gut, though).

steelers defense is not on their heels even when the opponent is inside the red-zone.

WHAT I DONT LIKE-

penalty on opening KO.

ikes stupid fight.

clock mgmt/play calling at end of half with less than 30 seconds on the clock. it sucked. 1 sneak, 1 run and 1 pass = clock run down and no fg attempt. :huh:

urgle burgle
08-21-2010, 11:47 PM

hes got foote and others to spell him.

agreed. this may be his coming out party. news at 11.
troy lining up on the line of scrimmage seems to limit or dictate what the offense wants to do.

the amazing thing about troy, is that he dictates a lot on the opposing offense. in reality, that is his true effectiveness in lebeau's scheme. Dixon seems to have more experience than one NFL start.

looked good. much better pocket awareness. agreed, but has yet to play against first teamers this preseason.
burnett didnt drop this one.

he looked good also. that was a good "hands" catch if yu go back to the tape. aaron smith got a sack.

Your my boy blue! ref to aaron. he makes so much difference, its not funny.

redman rebounded from injury and quickly got back in the game. musta had the wind knocked out of him.

if he doesnt make the team, then he mustve fucked tomlin's wife. mewelde is still a serviceable back up.

yeah, hes ok.
a. brown seems to have more experience than 1 preseason game. neither rookie wr has dropped a ball yet.

don't jinx the rooks.
i like some raw emotion and some chippyness from ike but punching a helmet is straight up stupid (looked like he got in an upper cut to the gut, though).

i liked it too, shows that our d has a chip, especially the secondary. bitches beware. steelers defense is not on their heels even when the opponent is inside the red-zone.

stood stout.
WHAT I DONT LIKE-

penalty on opening KO.

ikes stupid fight.

clock mgmt/play calling at end of half with less than 30 seconds on the clock. it sucked. 1 sneak, 1 run and 1 pass = clock run down and no fg attempt. :huh:

that was inexusable. someone must be flogged. out of timeouts, less than 10 secs to go, if i remember, and you run, up the middle? unless he was trying to make a point to the o-line or running backs, bullshit.

Shoes
08-21-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree Tony, but man does it hurt to watch Lefty run :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 12:09 AM
lol.... DAAAAMN! i left out leftys 2 left feet scramble!

in regards to the power play at the goal line ending the half, i do think tomlin was trying to show some balls and force the guys to sack up and punch it in. it looks great on paper if you got the people and plays to pull it off.

i would prefer to not see that "unleash hell on the goal line" mentality in the season. those 3 points coulda been the difference between a tie or a win at the end of regulation. if tomlin was testing and experimenting, i kinda give it a pass.

however i DO gotta wonder if it was just arians being arians. that is a typical arians move to do the complete opposite of what is conventional and works more than 50% of the time.

Galax Steeler
08-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Lefty is not the best when it comes to scramblimg. I think from what I have seen the last two games Dixon should be a starting.

Nadroj 20
08-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Didnt you say 3 things? :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
i was kinda disappointed to see essex at guard with the first team. they have 16 games of essex to evaluate him from. i thought they would've been better served to use these preseason games to look at other options and get guys experience and playing time with the starters at right guard. ( foster, pouncy, urbik , leggy )

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
The Rookie WR's look impressive and Brown's returning tonight was above average and def. think he will be a weapon on both positions!

Shoes
08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Matt Spaeth even caught a nice pass down field.

steelerdude15
08-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah. Lefty has some... impressive scrambling skills. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Matt Spaeth even caught a nice pass down field.:chuckle: i mentioned him for gameball in the gameball thread.

Shoes
08-22-2010, 12:57 AM
:chuckle: i mentioned him for gameball in the gameball thread.

:toofunny:

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Didnt you say 3 things? :chuckle:

yeah... something like that.

Mach1
08-22-2010, 01:12 AM

in regards to the power play at the goal line ending the half, i do think tomlin was trying to show some balls and force the guys to sack up and punch it in. it looks great on paper if you got the people and plays to pull it off.

i would prefer to not see that "unleash hell on the goal line" mentality in the season. those 3 points coulda been the difference between a tie or a win at the end of regulation. if tomlin was testing and experimenting, i kinda give it a pass.

however i DO gotta wonder if it was just arians being arians. that is a typical arians move to do the complete opposite of what is conventional and works more than 50% of the time.

That's what I'm thinking. Pre-season and see if ya can punch it in.

ricardisimo
08-22-2010, 01:45 AM
I liked seeing rookies moving the chains, and getting time in the preseason, especially the WR, who look like long-term keepers. This draft might quiet a lot of concerns about Colbert's Day Two drafting skills. I liked the win. I liked most everything I saw from the D-line and linebackers.

I thought we were going to see Pouncey at center more and earlier, and we didn't, so that was not great. Maybe I just missed it. The fight was bogus, and the secondary looks better, but still a long way off. It's scary to think that Burnett and Lewis might be our best options. Bomar, quite honestly, looked a little too comfortable given his status.

I was also deeply disturbed by how many times I saw Troy diving at some guy with the ball... and whiffing. That's just not supposed to happen, but it did, at least three or four times. Here's hoping it's just rust.

tony hipchest
08-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Bomar, quite honestly, looked a little too comfortable given his status.

I was also deeply disturbed by how many times I saw Troy diving at some guy with the ball... and whiffing. That's just not supposed to happen, but it did, at least three or four times. Here's hoping it's just rust.

i think eli woulda done worse. steelers have a nasty habit of playing down to the sucktitude of the qb they are facing.

troy definitely was a victim of his speed tonight. he just needs to get that timing honed in. the speed and closing time seems to be there which suggests the knee is fine.

SteelersinCA
08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Every time I saw him dive in I jsut hoped the knee would hold up. It looks gewd.

ricardisimo
08-22-2010, 02:22 AM
That's true, it's quite telling that even if he was whiffing he was still the first guy there. That means his speed is definitely back.

MasterOfPuppets
08-22-2010, 03:15 AM
flozell showed once again why dallas cut him loose.

Steeldude
08-22-2010, 04:15 AM
i liked...

the WRs

i disliked...

the O-line. it's going to be a tough year again.

The Duke
08-22-2010, 04:25 AM
neither rookie wr has dropped a ball yet.

hey that's an upgrade over sweed already :chuckle:

and I agree about timmons. The whole league better watch out for this guy....

true. Tuck was killing him with different moves every pass play. And Tuck is a guy he saw twice every year

On the run game though he seemed pretty good

I couldn't help but laugh when they called him for a holding penalty though

Steeldude
08-22-2010, 04:34 AM

the sad part is he isn't worse than any other tackle on the roster. the O-line looks bad

HometownGal
08-22-2010, 05:34 AM
the sad part is he isn't worse than any other tackle on the roster. the O-line looks bad

True dat. Our starting OL gives me the willies. :horror:

Big Flo is known as an excellent run blocker but a bit sucky on pass protection and it shows. He really isn't any better or worse than the rest of the line and is an adequate fill in for Colon for a season. We could have done worse. :noidea:

Texasteel
08-22-2010, 07:06 AM
I thought both of the starting OTs looked slow and clumsy, but we did take steps to solidify the interior, and I think that will pay off soon. We just may have to do something about the outside pass rush. Looks like I will be screaming OT come draft day again.

Galax Steeler
08-22-2010, 07:19 AM

I thought he would be better then what he is showing how did the guy make it to the pro bowl.

st33lersguy
08-22-2010, 07:19 AM
3 things I liked

1.The WR play

2. Watching Ben play

3. Redzone Redman

3 things I didn't like

1. Ike's fight

2. Arians setting new low for stupidity at end of 1st half

3. Inconsistent O-line

stillers4me
08-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm alittle concerned about Troy whiffing on tackles. He gets the benfit of the doubt.....possibly not playing at 100% yet.

The o-line ........oy vey. :doh:

MULLDOG24
08-22-2010, 07:32 AM
I thought both of the starting OTs looked slow and clumsy, but we did take steps to solidify the interior, and I think that will pay off soon. We just may have to do something about the outside pass rush. Looks like I will be screaming OT come draft day again.

You and me both bro!!!

polamalubeast
08-22-2010, 07:34 AM
I liked

QB play well(Ben,Left,Dixon)

I didn't like

Same thing st33lersguy.......1. Ike's fight

2. Arians setting new low for stupidity at end of 1st half

3. Inconsistent O-line

NCSteeler
08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm not a O line talent evaluator so I never know who to blame, but I know enough to be REAL tired of seeing NYG D linemen on our running backs 5 yards in the backfield

Steeldude
08-22-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm not a O line talent evaluator so I never know who to blame, but I know enough to be REAL tired of seeing NYG D linemen on our running backs 5 yards in the backfield

it's going to happen all season long. the steelers kept neglecting the O-line(since 2002) and this is the result. they need to draft a OT in 2011.

kemo is overrated. yes, he is big and strong, but he doesn't seem to possess a brain.

perhaps things will get better, but i am not holding my breath

BPS3akaWirels3
08-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Lefties performance last night was based on how Dixon has been playing and thats ok by me..

SteelerSal
08-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Gotta say that Dixon looks calm and cool and I think he should be Ben's replacement during his suspension.

steelatl
08-22-2010, 09:35 AM
it's going to happen all season long. the steelers kept neglecting the O-line(since 2002) and this is the result. they need to draft a OT in 2011.

kemo is overrated. yes, he is big and strong, but he doesn't seem to possess a brain.

perhaps things will get better, but i am not holding my breath

I can't figure our o-line out. At times they look good(not great) decent run blocking/pass protection and then others they just completely whiff. Even Miller was a human freaking turnstile on that reverse to ARE.

SteelerSal
08-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I can't figure our o-line out. At times they look good(not great) decent run blocking/pass protection and then others they just completely whiff. Even Miller was a human freaking turnstile on that reverse to ARE.

Only the second preseason game with a new o-line coach and an new faces on the o-line that needs to gel together. We will be fine. IMO

SteelerFanInStl
08-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Agreed. Starks looked bad too.

zulater
08-22-2010, 11:02 AM

He's lost weight ( in a good way) and it shows.

Good bet for a breakout season.

Dixon seems to have more experience than one NFL start.

I was very impressed by dixon, accuracy, good decision making, I really want to see what he can do with 1's against 1's. Hopefully he'll be given the start in the 4th preseason game.

aaron smith got a sack.

:applaudit:

I liked how they had Redman playing fb with the ones, and what he did taking handoffs as the upback. I think that formation could vastly improve our 3rd down conversion rate in short yardage situations. In other words this could be huge!

Neither figures to clear waivers either to get to the practice squad. It's going to be an interesting dillema as to whether they can retain a roster spot for Logan.

Very unlike Ike, I don't see it as a trend, he's got enough of a history that you can chalk it up to an abberation. doesn't concern me in other words, and if it gave the coaches a better feel for Burnett and the rest of the corners it might turn out to be a plus.

steelers defense is not on their heels even when the opponent is inside the red-zone.

WHAT I DONT LIKE-

penalty on opening KO.

ikes stupid fight.

The stupidest part was that they didn't have Leftwich spike the ball after ARE got the first down catch at the 2! The 3rd down run was equally stupid.

Arians at his finest.

7willBheaven
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Only the second preseason game with a new o-line coach and an new faces on the o-line that needs to gel together. We will be fine. IMO

Right on. I think people are over reacting about the OL...it isnt that bad. They are improving the more they play. Adams looked better...he actually pancaked Tuck right after the ARE reverse that i think Heath let Tuck go by him. The holding call on him...didnt look like holding to me or a few others i talked to about it. Was he perfect? No...but he is learning that side of the line. The second group of OL look really good i thought. Also for the person who mentioned about Pouncey early on...he was in like the 2nd series...and alternated with Hartwig for like 4-6 series i think then when the 2nd team OL came in he stayed in. Remember its only preseason guys/gals!

SteelersinCA
08-22-2010, 12:04 PM
True dat. Our starting OL gives me the willies. :horror:

Big Flo is known as an excellent run blocker but a bit sucky on pass protection and it shows. He really isn't any better or worse than the rest of the line and is an adequate fill in for Colon for a season. We could have done worse. :noidea:

Give him time to work with our coaches to get his technique down. He'll be fine.

Killer
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Starks looked as bad as Flo. I wish we went with all the young guys for a change.

2nd team O-line rocked - Hills, Foster, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Starks looked as bad as Flo. I wish we went with all the young guys for a change.

2nd team O-line rocked - Hills, Foster, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott

I agree with the 2nd team here. There is the future! Whoo hooo! Leftie improved from last week, but his running/scramble is a terrible eye-sore!