PDA

View Full Version : Report: Russell Martin Signing With Toronto

Lady Steel
11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Report: Russell Martin Signing With Toronto

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Catcher Russell Martin is reportedly signing with the Toronto Blue Jays.

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman tweeted out the deal a short time ago.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/report-russell-martin-signing-with-toronto/

:no:

zulater
11-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Was never a matter of if. Always a matter of when. The Pirates tagged their move before Martin even signed by trading for Francisco Cervelli. Nutting and his self imposed 85 million dollar salary cap, (which they wont even come close to meeting), strikes again.:jerkit:

X-Terminator
11-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Ridiculous. I'm sorry, but no one can convince me that they couldn't have signed him to that contract. So it would have pushed them over $100 million...big deal. Well, it's a big deal to El Cheapo, because God forbid he actually have a payroll more in line with his finances and the rest of the fucking division.

SO tired of the bargain basement shopping and allowing good players to walk because Nutting is so damn cheap. It's just a matter of time before McCutchen is traded, because does anyone REALLY think Nutting is going to pay him the big bucks he will be owed at the back end of the contract, or pick up the 2 options at $17 million a piece? No fucking way. Same for Cole, because there's no way in hell they will pay what Scott Boras will inevitably ask for.

The league needs to step in and force him to sell. Enough is enough.

Count Steeler
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Your lose is our gain. Sorry Buccos, but at least you have made the playoffs the last 2 years. The Blue Jays are on 21 years. The Jays will probably lose a pitcher or two.

Any chance you want Brandon Morrow? Please.

SteelerFanInStl
11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm just glad that he didn't sign with the Cubs. He would've hit a ton in that ballpark.

Cards traded for Jason Heyward today. Hopefully he can get back to his 2012 numbers and the Cards can sign him to an extension.

X-Terminator
11-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm just glad that he didn't sign with the Cubs. He would've hit a ton in that ballpark.

Cards traded for Jason Heyward today. Hopefully he can get back to his 2012 numbers and the Cards can sign him to an extension.

And here is yet another example of why the Pirates will be nothing but an also-ran in the division. The Cards identified a problem (albeit an unexpected one with the passing of Taveras), went out and fixed it with a quality player. Meanwhile, the Pirates identify a problem, and instead of keeping the existing solution on the roster, they instead trade for a guy who can't stay healthy and was suspended for PEDs. But at least he was cheap, and that, of course, is all that matters.

Hindes204
11-17-2014, 04:12 PM
I've said he wouldn't be worth the $15M he was gonna get....so I will say he's definitely not worth the $16M+ they over paid for him.

zulater
11-17-2014, 04:24 PM
The Pirates became significantly worse today. But Nutting saved a ton of cash. So it's all good.

Exceptional circumstances can call for exceptional actions. Sometimes you build a variance into your business model if the potential reward is big enough and obtainable through your actions.

X-Terminator
11-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh, and let me just add. Does anyone really believe they will spend the money they "saved" to plug holes in the rotation and at 1st base with a quality talent? You are living in fantasy land if you do. Nutting will just keep that money in his pocket, as always.

Hell will freeze over before this franchise ever has a 9-figure payroll. The Penguins might have one before the Pirates do, and the NHL has a salary cap.

zulater
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Oh, and let me just add. Does anyone really believe they will spend the money they "saved" to plug holes in the rotation and at 1st base with a quality talent? You are living in fantasy land if you do. Nutting will just keep that money in his pocket, as always.

Hell will freeze over before this franchise ever has a 9-figure payroll. The Penguins might have one before the Pirates do, and the NHL has a salary cap.

Yes I do. I think he will consult with Santa and the Easter Bunny and figure out where that money might best go to make the Pirates champions. I'm thinking they might invent a time machine and bring back Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente circa 1971. :hmm:

Count Steeler
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I didn't know Martin was from Toronto. Blue Jays should have been able to get a home town discount.

Hindes204
11-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Knew it was coming. And I disagree with a lot in this thread, but it's futile to keep arguing about it.

martins numbers will decline in the coming years and Toronto will regret overpaying him

cervelli will prove to be a viable replacement

elias Diaz will be the starting catcher in 2016 and Martin will be forgotten about

KeiselPower99
11-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Kinda late to the conversation here but in all honesty would you give a 32 year old catcher a 5 year deal? Very few teams would. A team like Toronto who needs to win could have and did. I think we could have found a better catcher than the 3 we have ended up with but this is life in a small market.