PDA

View Full Version : McCullers could see more playing time

stillers4me
11-15-2014, 08:41 AM
One week after the New York Jets rushed for 150 yards against the Steelers, a rookie defensive lineman could be in line to become a bigger part of the game plan against the Tennessee Titans.

Defensive line coach John Mitchell said on Steelers Nation Radio that he is going to insert Daniel McCullers into the lineup in hopes he can clog things up in the middle.

Starting nose tackle Steve McLendon did not practice Thursday because of a shoulder injury and is unlikely to play against the Titans...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/14/Steelers-Notebook-McCullers-could-see-more-playing-time/stories/201411140111

Dwinsgames
11-15-2014, 09:47 AM
wonder who is giving him psychic advice none of us would have had him designated inactive last week ....

Craic
11-15-2014, 09:49 AM
I could have sworn I saw him on the field last week.

Dwinsgames
11-15-2014, 09:51 AM

you might be right , but I could have sworn he has been inactive since Mclendon returned from his last hang nail ( dare I label him as a durability concern ? )

tube517
11-15-2014, 09:55 AM

Yep. I think he was inactive vs the Ratbirds

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

stillers4me
11-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Headline says "more playing time".

Dwinsgames
11-15-2014, 10:07 AM
He was active vs the Jets , not sure he actually played but was active ... http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-inactives-for-Jets-game/e1dc39ac-bdb1-452b-99dd-bd82f8db90ed

Count Steeler
11-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Definitely saw him in 2 plays and he got schooled. Mangold is no slouch.

Moose
11-15-2014, 09:35 PM
I like the idea. Let's see what this big boy can do. It would be great to see him bust a few chops ! I'd use him on short yardage too, hand him the ball and let him plow forward a yard or two....LOL !

Lady Steel
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/08/11/ca523,0,2192,1669/20140811-SteelersTrainingCamp006.jpg
Andrew Rush/Post-Gazette

That picture, though. :sofunny:

KeiselPower99
11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
So does this mean the Cam Thomas experiment is about over? I thought he played better at NT than at DE but thats not saying much.

Dwinsgames
11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
So does this mean the Cam Thomas experiment is about over? I thought he played better at NT than at DE but thats not saying much.

one can only hope

Mojouw
11-17-2014, 12:12 AM
So what happens if McCullers gets in and his total lack of technique gets him schooled?

Should I start blaming Tomlin now, or do I have to wait until Josh Mauro gets a sack?

In all seriousness, I am sorely disappointed I will be driving for work and only get intermittent radio of this game. I would really like to see how the big man does.

Dwinsgames
11-17-2014, 03:44 AM
So what happens if McCullers gets in and his total lack of technique gets him schooled?

Should I start blaming Tomlin now, or do I have to wait until Josh Mauro gets a sack?

In all seriousness, I am sorely disappointed I will be driving for work and only get intermittent radio of this game. I would really like to see how the big man does.

still time to get "sirius" about about the game

fansince'76
11-17-2014, 08:55 AM

This.

Count Steeler
11-17-2014, 02:16 PM

You can only learn so much on the bench. Get in there and get whooped. Let's see what he is made of.

steel striker
11-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Lets see what he does.

Mojouw
11-17-2014, 02:42 PM
still time to get "sirius" about about the game

Well done sir, well done indeed!

Shoes
11-18-2014, 10:19 PM
What happened to McCullers? Seemed like I saw Thomas in there more than Dan.

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2014, 11:34 PM
What happened to McCullers? Seemed like I saw Thomas in there more than Dan.

i was about to say. this thread was a damnable lie

one side only
11-19-2014, 07:48 AM
I think he played 11 snaps.

Steelerette
11-19-2014, 10:52 PM
McCullers issue isn't that he's too tall. In time he can be a successful starter, even if we accept that from time to time we'll give up a play because the Center got leverage and knocked him right on his ass. It's going to happen every once in a while even after he masters his technique. We can live with that though for all the good he's going to bring to the table in return.

The issue is that he hasn't mastered that technique yet. Yes he looks like a beast once or twice a game. Everyone who complains that playing old guys and retreads is holding back development... ought to be pleased that McCullers is getting as much experience as he is - because IMO he is still learning and is not ready to be "the guy".

There has to be a point where you say... okay technique and experience or not, he's still got to be better than Cam Thomas. I have a harder time arguing against that one. It will be really nice to see McLendon in there after the bye and I hope Dan continues getting looks here and there to end the season. McLendon is not a great NT but at this point we just need to not make big mistakes on defense... and that's a lot easier without Cam Thomas in there.

Mojouw
11-20-2014, 07:36 AM
McCullers issue isn't that he's too tall. In time he can be a successful starter, even if we accept that from time to time we'll give up a play because the Center got leverage and knocked him right on his ass. It's going to happen every once in a while even after he masters his technique. We can live with that though for all the good he's going to bring to the table in return.

The issue is that he hasn't mastered that technique yet. Yes he looks like a beast once or twice a game. Everyone who complains that playing old guys and retreads is holding back development... ought to be pleased that McCullers is getting as much experience as he is - because IMO he is still learning and is not ready to be "the guy".

There has to be a point where you say... okay technique and experience or not, he's still got to be better than Cam Thomas. I have a harder time arguing against that one. It will be really nice to see McLendon in there after the bye and I hope Dan continues getting looks here and there to end the season. McLendon is not a great NT but at this point we just need to not make big mistakes on defense... and that's a lot easier without Cam Thomas in there.

This. The other 10 guys need to know that McCullers is going to execute his assignment. Due to being raw as hell and green as grass, he can't be counted on to do that in all game situations yet.

Thomas may stink, but he knows where he is intended to be.

zulater
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
This. The other 10 guys need to know that McCullers is going to execute his assignment. Due to being raw as hell and green as grass, he can't be counted on to do that in all game situations yet.

Thomas may stink, but he knows where he is intended to be.

Just watched Bishop Sankey's touchdown run against us. 62 penetrates , gets off his block and pursues the play pretty well. Does his job as far as I could see. You know who didn't though? Cam Thomas and Jason Worildis that's who. Both were owned. Then throw in Mitchell hopelessly lunging at the play in the second level ( Timmons turned the play into him, play was there to be made) .

What they see in Cam Thomas is beyond me? The guy sucks. Same for 93. Has a handful of decent plays. But far more often than not gets abused by the opponent. Probably least cost effective player on the team. Well actually no probably about it. Guy doesn't even come close to earning his pay.

Mojouw
11-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Just watched Bishop Sankey's touchdown run against us. 62 penetrates , gets off his block and pursues the play pretty well. Does his job as far as I could see. You know who didn't though? Cam Thomas and Jason Worildis that's who. Both were owned. Then throw in Mitchell hopelessly lunging at the play in the second level ( Timmons turned the play into him, play was there to be made) .

What they see in Cam Thomas is beyond me? The guy sucks. Same for 93. Has a handful of decent plays. But far more often than not gets abused by the opponent. Probably least cost effective player on the team. Well actually no probably about it. Guy doesn't even come close to earning his pay.
That is one play.

The black hole of suck that is Cam Thomas and Jason Worilds is a whole other topic.

fansince'76
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM

He didn't even have to get a sack... :lol:

Dwinsgames
11-23-2014, 07:03 PM
He didn't even have to get a sack... :lol:

he should have never been in a position to be stolen away ....

Shoes
11-23-2014, 07:11 PM
he should have never been in a position to be stolen away ....

…………meanwhile back at the ranch, Landry Jones will be eating his 400th bag of sunflowers seeds next game day Sunday.

Dwinsgames
11-23-2014, 07:24 PM
…………meanwhile back at the ranch, Landry Jones will be eating his 400th bag of sunflowers seeds next game day Sunday.

and DHB will still be dropping balls and making ST gaffs ....

and Justin Brown will still be collecting a paycheck for nothing .....

and Mike Mitchell will still be the 64th ranked starting S in the league ...

and Cam " Can't" Thomas will continue to be pushed backwards ....

and Jason Worilds will still be the over paid invisible man ...

Shoes
11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
and DHB will still be dropping balls and making ST gaffs ....

and Justin Brown will still be collecting a paycheck for nothing .....

and Mike Mitchell will still be the 64th ranked starting S in the league ...

and Cam " Can't" Thomas will continue to be pushed backwards ....

and Jason Worilds will still be the over paid invisible man ...

Pretty sad I'd say.

one side only
11-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Steve McClendon didn't practice today. I'd say Big Dan gets his second consecutive start.

Shoes
11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
That's good news!

86WARD
11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Another list of blunders by the front office. I find it unbelievable that they had the insight to sign Antonio Brown long term...

Count Steeler
11-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Another list of blunders by the front office. I find it unbelievable that they had the insight to sign Antonio Brown long term...

They actually backed into that one because Wallace was being stubborn. Don't know if they intended to sign both or not.