PDA

View Full Version : Coaches "furious" with Bryant/Wheaton route running and Haley says screen passes work

one side only
11-14-2014, 07:48 AM
http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/11/14/friday-insider-russ-real-farewell/

Great stuff as always from DK . . . recommend subscribing.

The Steelers are much more dissatisfied with the route-running of Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton than they’re letting on publicly. I was told their breakdown of film — game and practices — show not only poor routes but also quitting on plays. They’ve been furious with both at various intervals.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2014, 07:53 AM
It's a shame that Brown's work ethic, intensity and focus is not rubbing off on others.

Steelman
11-14-2014, 09:39 AM
It's a shame that Brown's work ethic, intensity and focus is not rubbing off on others.

Yeah, Bryant I could understand, but Wheaton being included in this just seems unacceptable for a guy who's been in the system for as long as he has. I don't know if Wheaton is just a slow learner or what, but he's been pretty disappointing.

zulater
11-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah, Bryant I could understand, but Wheaton being included in this just seems unacceptable for a guy who's been in the system for as long as he has. I don't know if Wheaton is just a slow learner or what, but he's been pretty disappointing.

Agree. Bryant is a rookie. A lot to process there. Not even part of the team until May, and you've got to get up to speed on the fly. But with Wheaton there's no excuse. He needs to challenge himself more and work harder to get the mental part of the game down. .

Mojouw
11-14-2014, 12:09 PM
If past is any prologue, it has typically taken guys who dominated in college by being bigger and/or faster than everyone else, about 3 years in the pro game to "get it". 3rd year, the lightbulb goes off for most of these guys and they are finally able to marry the physical skills to the mental demands of the NFL.

Obviously for some it happens quicker and some, never at all. Dez Bryant was thought a "bust" by some for about 2-3 years. Now he is one of the most dominant WRs in the game.

steelreserve
11-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Anyone who would come out and defend the short dumpoffs and screens behind the LOS needs to be hit in the back of the head with a blunt instrument such as a lead pipe. It wasn't working at the start of the season. It didn't work last week. For the three weeks or so that we abandoned it, the offense was great. It is not coincidence. Only a complete idiot could miss that.

fansince'76
11-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Anyone who would come out and defend the short dumpoffs and screens behind the LOS needs to be hit in the back of the head with a blunt instrument such as a lead pipe.

You certainly have a way with words, SR. :lol:

st33lersguy
11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
How about this, stop running F-ing screen passes! When you play an anemic secondary like the Jets have and going downfield is what worked so well the past 2 weeks, then go downfield!

fansince'76
11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
...I think our screen game has been a really good weapon. We had two good ones. One got called back on a penalty that could have gone either way on Maurkice Pouncey. It has been a very good weapon for us, and we have to keep it as a weapon.”

Great - so we can expect more of the same in Nashville until we're too far behind too late in the game to catch up and we finally take a deep shot that goes for 80 yards and the only TD we wind up scoring, I presume? :coffee:

zulater
11-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Anyone who would come out and defend the short dumpoffs and screens behind the LOS needs to be hit in the back of the head with a blunt instrument such as a lead pipe. It wasn't working at the start of the season. It didn't work last week. For the three weeks or so that we abandoned it, the offense was great. It is not coincidence. Only a complete idiot could miss that.

Complete idiot? Like Haley. Yeah that fits.

fansince'76
11-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Complete idiot? Like Haley. Yeah that fits.

The quote about the screen being an "effective weapon" really says it all as far as I'm concerned. Might as well just start us at 3rd-and-15 on every drive. If the offense comes out on Monday night and does the same thing they did during the Jets game, I'll be tuning out very early.

Craic
11-14-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't hate those types of screen passes. They do work. The problem is, like most any other play, they work best when set up, and when the other team doesn't expect them.

Moose
11-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I do hope that there are quite a few other things with this team that the coaches are 'furious' about !

Steeldude
11-15-2014, 02:15 AM
Agree. Bryant is a rookie. A lot to process there. Not even part of the team until May, and you've got to get up to speed on the fly. But with Wheaton there's no excuse. He needs to challenge himself more and work harder to get the mental part of the game down. .

But it is no excuse for Bryant's laziness. He was doing this in pre-season camp too.

They should bench Wheaton for Moore.

Dwinsgames
11-15-2014, 04:33 AM
I was against the Wheaton pick from the onset , but that's spilled milk at this point ...

Bryant is young and got a late start with the team and limited reps until recently so look for improvement in that department , that being said have to love the production he has had while " learning" if that says anything about how good it will get once he catches on and gets more reps and looks on game day ...hope they are careful to not make him tentative