PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are wrestling with why they struggle versus poor teams

stillers4me
11-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Just as there are must-win games in the NFL, there are must-not-lose games. And the Steelers keep losing them.

So instead of immediately focusing their attention on their next game, against the Tennessee Titans, the Steelers (6-4) chose Monday to look into their rearview mirrors. The sight they saw was familiar.

“You definitely have to go back and look at this because there's a lot of stuff out there we could have prevented,” left guard Ramon Foster said of the 20-13 loss Sunday to the New York Jets. “It's not one of those things where they just outplayed us. ... You can't be a pro team doing the stuff like (the Steelers did).

“We're going to look at it and slap ourselves in the head because there was so much left out there. You can't make excuses for it.” ..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/7123377-74/steelers-game-jets#ixzz3Io8CeyYR

Count Steeler
11-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Every game is must-win. That right there is the problem. You can not take a week off. Every opponent is worthy of your best.

Bring it every week. What a weird concept.

GoSlash27
11-11-2014, 06:34 PM
I've been pondering this myself, and I think I have the answer.

It's not a case of insufficient preparation and motivation, but rather an excess.
The Steelers have dropped so many games to so many bad teams that it's in their heads now. They try too hard, force plays, and panic because they're trying to do too much.
They have no confidence against crappy teams and it's affecting their play.
The only cure I see is to focus on the fundamentals and sound individual play. Once they beat a few lousy teams, the problem will fix itself.

zulater
11-11-2014, 07:06 PM
I've been pondering this myself, and I think I have the answer.

It's not a case of insufficient preparation and motivation, but rather an excess.
The Steelers have dropped so many games to so many bad teams that it's in their heads now. They try too hard, force plays, and panic because they're trying to do too much.
They have no confidence against crappy teams and it's affecting their play.
The only cure I see is to focus on the fundamentals and sound individual play. Once they beat a few lousy teams, the problem will fix itself.

You may have hit on something. I don't think it's the preparation per say. But I think the idea was planted in their head that we can't beat ourselves against these sort of teams. Rather than play with attitude that we're going to go out there and take it as they did against the Colts and Ravens the overwhelming sense becomes don't let them take it from us. Kind of a hunter vs being the hunted type mindset. I think we're better in the role of the hunter as opposed to taking the mindset of the prey.

blackngldblood
11-13-2014, 02:49 AM
You may have hit on something. I don't think it's the preparation per say. But I think the idea was planted in their head that we can't beat ourselves against these sort of teams. Rather than play with attitude that we're going to go out there and take it as they did against the Colts and Ravens the overwhelming sense becomes don't let them take it from us. Kind of a hunter vs being the hunted type mindset. I think we're better in the role of the hunter as opposed to taking the mindset of the prey.

This makes sense. An average team gets the shaky legs and jitters and trips over their own feet in games against teams like the Patriots whereas the Steelers are always finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against these bottom feeders. There's a reason Ben has never won in Oakland. It's all in his head. They need to just go out and beat the brakes off the Titans with no mercy Belichick style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
11-13-2014, 08:50 AM
I have a different theory. That since this team started losing consistently to bad teams, is about the same time they themselves experienced a talent drop-off. So say since the last SB appearance. Some of the talent has continued to fight an increasingly one-sided battle with father time, and some has been replaced with less talented players, while some has been replaced with talented players who are young and inexperienced.

Put that together with some questionable coaching calls and you have the perfect recipe for an inconsistent team.

Moose
11-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Every game is must-win. That right there is the problem. You can not take a week off. Every opponent is worthy of your best.

I've said this from day one ! I'm a firm believer when you ONLY have a 16 game schedule, every game opponent has to be treated as the team that stands between YOU and the PLAYOFFS ! Which most of the time is exactly that. That loss against a bottom feeder could very well be the loss that eliminates you from division winner or wild card. If you can't beat that bottom feeder you damn sure don't need to be in the playoffs. Now they are looking BACK at a losing game and see what they did wrong ? Are you FK'N kidding me ? Spend time looking at a losing game ! They don't think that the fumble, interception , dropped pass, etc., had anything to do with it ? Hey MORONS !- turnovers, non scoring redzones pretty much is a big part you bafoons !! Instead of spending time looking back, spend the time and fix the damn problem of just those 2 inabilities. Come out at every kick off like you are playing a Colts, Patriots, or Ravens team, and one of the main problems......play ass kicking football for 60 minutes ! No matter what the score. If you can put up 50 pts on an opponent, DO IT ! It's not high school or college, but everyone is supposedly professionals with big ass paychecks. Prove why you should be getting that check or a larger one. Pathetic performance in everyone of those losses against those bottom feeders and they should be ashamed to sit and say to the fans that they need to look back and see where things went wrong ! Fk'n bafoons, are you kidding me !

GBMelBlount
11-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Every game is must-win. That right there is the problem.

You can not take a week off. Every opponent is worthy of your best.

I am with Count.

This is the simplest explanation and it makes the most sense to me.

86WARD
11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

It's too bad you can't get that message to the team. Maybe if you get in tight with the Chaplain, you and Bieber can relay this message to the team?