PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Steelers' subpar outings against bad teams not a mental issue

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers’ penchant for losing to bad teams is not a mental issue and is more about having two of his star players commit four turnovers against the New York Jets.

Tomlin said it has been uncommon for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to throw two interceptions and NFL receiving leader Antonio Brown to lose two fumbles, but that’s what happened in the Steelers’ 20-13 loss to the Jets on Sunday.

Roethlisberger had only three interceptions prior to the Jets game and had not thrown two in a game since the 2013 season finale. Brown is one of the most sure-handed players on the team.

“I’m sure we can bounce around a myriad of things, but I tried to focus on what’s tangible, and on Sunday we turned the ball over and didn’t get any,” Tomlin said. “When those things happen, you have a tough time winning football games.”

It was the second loss this season to a team that had one of the worst records in the league. Since the start of the 2012 season, the Steelers have lost seven games to teams whose combined record at the time they played was 9-36 – a .200 win percentage.

The Steelers will get another one of those teams Monday night when they play the Tennessee Titans (2-7), who have lost six of their past seven games, in Nashville.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/11/Tomlin-explains-Steelers-recent-losses-to-bad-teams-looks-ahead-to-Tenn/stories/201411110170

steelreserve
11-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers’ penchant for losing to bad teams is not a mental issue and is more about having two of his star players commit four turnovers against the New York Jets.

You know what committing four turnovers is? A mental issue. It's not all just bad luck. All four of them were on plays that were stupid, stupid ideas on somebody's part.

tube517
11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, let's count how many turnovers were committed in those 7 losses (or all the losses to bad teams since 2009). Making those type of mistakes against bad teams is definitely a mental issue. It means you are too cocky and think you can just overcome those all the time just because the opponent is "bad." Only the 1970's Steelers could overcome 7 turnovers in a playoff game(s) and win, because they were that good. No other Steelers team since then can say or do that.

Count Steeler
11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
So it is our game plan to stink out the joint in the first quarter and then start to play. This week, unfortunately, Ben and Brown could not keep the ball.

Sorry Mike, from the coin toss this week, you had mental issues.

ALLD
11-11-2014, 03:50 PM
A deflection to avoid personal responsibility.

zulater
11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
The Steelers were down 10-0 before the first turnover occurred. In my opinion Antonio's first fumble was about poor play design rather than poor ball security on AB's part. 84 is doing the right thing by switching the ball over to the right arm when Wilkerson punches the ball from behind. The concept of running a screen inside the tackle box against that front 7 was a recipe for disaster. Anyway regardless of fault. We were down 17-0 after only one turnover was committed. So the four turnover argument is kinda empty if you ask me. The wheels came off early independent of the turnovers. I think it's more fair to say the turnovers were more symptom than disease. As an example Pouncey and DeCastro played awful. Their piss poor play wasn't caused by the turnovers. Suisham missing a chip shot that should have never been attempted has nothing to do with the turnovers. Not being able to cash in first and goal from the 1/2 yard line had nothing to do with the 4 turnovers. Sorry excuse Mike Tomlin.

ALLD
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Mike Tomlin acts like he is trying to protect somebody.

steelreserve
11-11-2014, 04:47 PM
The Steelers were down 10-0 before the first turnover occurred. In my opinion Antonio's first fumble was about poor play design rather than poor ball security on AB's part. 84 is doing the right thing by switching the ball over to the right arm when Wilkerson punches the ball from behind. The concept of running a screen inside the tackle box against that front 7 was a recipe for disaster. Anyway regardless of fault. We were down 17-0 after only one turnover was committed. So the four turnover argument is kinda empty if you ask me. The wheels came off early independent of the turnovers. I think it's more fair to say the turnovers were more symptom than disease. As an example Pouncey and DeCastro played awful. Their piss poor play wasn't caused by the turnovers. Suisham missing a chip shot that should have never been attempted has nothing to do with the turnovers. Not being able to cash in first and goal from the 1/2 yard line had nothing to do with the 4 turnovers. Sorry excuse Mike Tomlin.

^^^ Agree with all of the above.

The sad thing is, even with the four turnovers, we had every chance to still win the game, which is pretty incredible. The Jets didn't just play out of their minds or "better than their record" and leave us in the dust. That was NOT a very good football team we lost to. We just sucked shit in every phase of the game, and I mean REALLY sucked shit, like 2 Girls 1 Cup level sucked shit. I guess you could say the defense played OK except for giving up the one 70-yard bomb.

ALLD
11-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Tomlin is sounding like a politician and not a coach.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202804003885630

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Tomlin blames Steelers loss to Jets on turnovers, not lack of preparation

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/11/Tomlin-explains-Steelers-recent-losses-to-bad-teams-looks-ahead-to-Tenn/stories/201411110170

salamander
11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Tomlin needs to STFU already and do his damn job. I'm sick of hearing him spew this crap out and never back it up. He's all talk. /end rant.

bayz101
11-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Turnovers literally kicked the game off for us. Heck we were rolling down the field until Brown fumbled it away at the beginning. I believe us fans want desperately someone to blame when honestly, it's a team loss. We gave the ball away all game and failed to take it away. But no, Fire Tomlin, Fire Haley...fire everyone.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Mike Tomlin acts like he is trying to protect somebody.

HIMSELF.....

after all Haley does not predate the issue of tanking vs cellar dwellers and the Def only gave up 20 points even though they where covering up for the Offenses 4 turnovers