PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers are 1-8 in Tomlin vs. teams with a .200 winning percentage or less

polamalubeast
11-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I do not know if that's true but if this is true, this is WOW

Maybe this is since 2012

st33lersguy
11-10-2014, 11:09 AM
That is beyond pathetic.

polamalubeast
11-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib ·

Steelers actually have lost 11 times to sub-.500 teams at the time that they played them since 2012. Teams had 15-48 record. Steelers 32-30

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

tube517
11-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Sounds about right. Someone else posted 0-7 against losing teams. Whatever the case, we have been bad since 2012. Really bad.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2014, 12:03 PM
That is just inexcusable and should be enough to get anyone fired.

At this point, I'd rather have Rex Ryan as head coach than Tomlin.

slippy
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
rex ryan? .... ummm no.

GBMelBlount
11-10-2014, 01:10 PM
This is about the most embarrassing, effed up and indefensible statistic I have ever seen in my life.

Overconfident & complacent jackasses is the only explanation I can possibly see.

Take your balls out of the jar Tomlin.

This team needs a kick in the ass and a shot of testosterone.

Dwinsgames
11-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Tomlin is 7-11 vs sub 500 teams

- - - Updated - - -

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/11/09/column-accolades/

polamalubeast
11-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Since 2012, Tomlin is 1-7 when playing on the road against teams that had a winning percentage below .200 when they met. That includes 0-3 in 2012 against the Raiders, Titans and Browns, 0-2 in 2013 against the Bengals and Vikings (in London) and 1-2 this year with a win over the Jaguars and now losses to the Ravens and Jets.

ouch

ALLD
11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
They went back to playing tight choreography with Elvis the OC who was too cool to prep for the opponent. Tomlin needs to let somebody give the speeches next week. He isn;t getting it done.

X-Terminator
11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
The 2013 Bengals and 2014 Ravens really shouldn't be included in that stat. That is cherry-picking at its finest.

vader29
11-11-2014, 10:38 AM
From Ed Bouchette's Blog:

Noll's Teams Beat Up on the Bad Ones

We will turn things over today to your Ask Ed questions. In that vein, we lead off with timely research from one of our regular correspondents, the good journalism professor, Dr. B.F. Battistoli of Fairleigh Dickinson University. Citing information from the Pro Football Hall of Fame,( http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/2014/6/14/chuck-noll-1932-2014/#sthash.d41ER8dY.dpuf), he writes:

Everyone talks about the '70s Steelers' record against losing teams, and I googled and checked it to refresh my memory. The stat is amazing - but what I found truly surprising was the record against winning teams - check it out:

"Above all, Noll put an emphasis on winning against teams that finished under .500. During an eight-year span beginning in 1972, they won an incredible 59 of 60 games against the so-called weaker teams. His record at the same time against teams finishing above .500 was undistinguished 29-26-1. In postseason play, however, his Steelers were 13-4 during that period.

So, the greatest team in the history of the NFL was only three games over .500 against winning teams! Frankly, I'm amazed. There's the secret! Beat the losers - every time - and split with the winners, and you'll be dancing in the ball in January.

Noll "put an emphasis on winning" against losing teams. The absence of such evidence in the present edition of the Steelers is all too obvious.

Best regards,

Dr. B.F. Battistoli

Assistant Professor Journalism

Fairleigh Dickinson University

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/11/11/Noll-s-Teams-Beat-Up-on-the-Bad-Ones/stories/201411110001

GBMelBlount
11-11-2014, 10:41 AM
So Noll was 59-1 against teams with losing records.

All I needed to know.

Great find Vader...

tube517
11-11-2014, 10:51 AM
So Noll was 59-1 against teams with losing records.

All I needed to know.

Great find Vader...

Amazing record.

I think I know that one loss. I believe it was that 1979 game vs the 0-6 Bengals where we got our asses handed to us 34-10. I think Noll asked the players if they threw the game. :lol:

Before 2009, Tomlin had a good record vs losing teams. Since then, the wheels have fallen off and he has sucked. Badly.

steelerdude15
11-11-2014, 10:53 AM
I've been thinking about this issue for the past couple of days and I wonder if the reason why they play poorly and lose to bad teams is because of the Steelers' mental approach. I wonder if the team thinks that because they are playing poor teams, that it could be an easy win for the Steelers and they mentally check out which results in poor play. Just food for thought.

NCSteeler
11-11-2014, 11:05 AM
May be we should be asking why they beat good teams?

SteelMember
11-11-2014, 11:53 AM
At least he didn't "take them lightly"... please.:rolleyes:

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about this issue for the past couple of days and I wonder if the reason why they play poorly and lose to bad teams is because of the Steelers' mental approach. I wonder if the team thinks that because they are playing poor teams, that it could be an easy win for the Steelers and they mentally check out which results in poor play. Just food for thought.

I also think the problem is mental....Everyone is tired of seeing the Steelers lose against bad teams, especially since this problem seems not to be close to be resolved

st33lersguy
11-11-2014, 12:06 PM
If they miss the playoffs, Tomlin needs to be fired (along with Colbert and Haley)

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 12:12 PM
If they miss the playoffs, Tomlin needs to be fired (along with Colbert and Haley)

I agree with you, but I do not think it will happen for Tomlin and Colbert.But I think it could happen next year if they miss the playoffs for a 4th time in a row, since the contract of Tomlin ends after the 2016 season

One thing is sure, Tomlin needs to be on the hot seat

steelreserve
11-11-2014, 12:48 PM
May be we should be asking why they beat good teams?

Because they're actually a pretty talented team, but the coaching and preparation is all over the place. The only thing that's consistent is that every time there's a bad team on the schedule, our preparation is the equivalent of smoking weed all week.

Mojouw
11-11-2014, 01:04 PM
The difference between "bad" teams and "good" teams in the pre-salary cap era and the post salary cap era isn't even comparable. Prior to the salary cap you had the good teams hoarding talent and backing up HOF'ers with future HOF'ers -- think Joe Montana being backed up by Steve Young. What I am trying to say was that the gap between the 70's era Steelers and a league bottom feeder was immense. That's why they changed things. The gap, while still present, is much narrower today.

I am not saying that the Steelers should have lost to the Jets or the Bucs, but the winning percentage comparisons between different eras is not really a relevant stat.

Obviously this team has a problem "playing down" to the competition and then shitting the bed versus poor teams, but what about other teams between 2000-2012? How did they do? I am guessing they are doing better than the Steelers, but not 59-1.

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM
The difference between "bad" teams and "good" teams in the pre-salary cap era and the post salary cap era isn't even comparable. Prior to the salary cap you had the good teams hoarding talent and backing up HOF'ers with future HOF'ers -- think Joe Montana being backed up by Steve Young. What I am trying to say was that the gap between the 70's era Steelers and a league bottom feeder was immense. That's why they changed things. The gap, while still present, is much narrower today.

I am not saying that the Steelers should have lost to the Jets or the Bucs, but the winning percentage comparisons between different eras is not really a relevant stat.

Obviously this team has a problem "playing down" to the competition and then shitting the bed versus poor teams, but what about other teams between 2000-2012? How did they do? I am guessing they are doing better than the Steelers, but not 59-1.

The Ravens under John Harbaugh very rarely lose against the bad teams...Same thing for the Patriots, the Broncos and the Colts right now...And I just looked in the AFC

This is a frustrating problem, because the steelers are supposed to be 8-2 right now

st33lersguy
11-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Because they're actually a pretty talented team, but the coaching and preparation is all over the place. The only thing that's consistent is that every time there's a bad team on the schedule, our preparation is the equivalent of smoking weed all week.

Especially our top 2 running backs, lol

tube517
11-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Tomlin himself was 29-7 vs bad teams for his first 5 seasons...

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/7084419-74/steelers-teams-games#ixzz3Ic0UM0PR

Didn't always used to be the Steelers struggled to put away the poorest of opponents. Coach Mike Tomlin's teams were 29-7 against squads with losing records over his first five seasons, including undefeated marks in his second, fourth and fifth campaigns. Tomlin's two Super Bowl teams went a combined 13-0 against teams that finished under .500, and his four playoff teams went 26-3.

steelerdude15
11-11-2014, 02:49 PM

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/7084419-74/steelers-teams-games#ixzz3Ic0UM0PR

Hmm... interesting stat. It makes you wonder then, could the issue be the mental approach of the younger players who aren't as mature and don't have as much experience as the older players?

st33lersguy
11-11-2014, 03:03 PM

We won but played a lot of teams close

2008: We beat the 4-12 Browns (1st meeting not 2nd) and 5-11 Jags by a combined 9 points

2010: Undefeated this year thanks to Stevie Johnson's OT drop in the end-zone in the game against the 4-12 Bills (would bring up Dolphins game but they would have finished 8-8 had we lost to them)

2011: Played in numerous close games against teams under .500, including the 3 point win over the Colts.

Tomlin has always struggled to prepare his team to get ready for games against bad teams, the mental toughness just comes into play in the ability to win these close games

GBMelBlount
11-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Furthering this Fubar jackassedness of losing to shitty teams because we don't show up.

Conversely, didn't we go 12-4 and win the superbowl when we had the 2nd toughest schedule in nfl history?

polamalubeast
11-11-2014, 03:14 PM

2008: We beat the 4-12 Browns (1st meeting not 2nd) and 5-11 Jags by a combined 9 points

2010: Undefeated this year thanks to Stevie Johnson's OT drop in the end-zone in the game against the 4-12 Bills (would bring up Dolphins game but they would have finished 8-8 had we lost to them)

2011: Played in numerous close games against teams under .500, including the 3 point win over the Colts.

Tomlin has always struggled to prepare his team to get ready for games against bad teams, the mental toughness just comes into play in the ability to win these close games

You forget the 3-0 win against the 0-10 Dolphins in 2007!

st33lersguy
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
You forget the 3-0 win against the 0-10 Dolphins in 2007!

Yeah I was thinking just 2008, 2010, and 2011 because I had read they went undefeated those 3 years. Wasn't thinking about 2007 or 2009 for some reason. I remember that Dolphins mud bog well, came 8 days after another embarassing defeat against the 1-8 Jets

tube517
11-11-2014, 03:26 PM

The point is that Tomlin's teams were winning, not losing, vs bad teams. I don't care how they won, they won. Now, they aren't even doing that.

2011 was the start (some even say the 2010 playoffs) of the slide. They barely beat Curtis Painter in the Colts game in 2011. Curtis Painter.

We are now losing vs QBs on that level. Mike f'n Glennon.