PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mitchell

Shoes
11-09-2014, 06:34 PM
He can't tackle or hit like Ryan Clark but he can do this at the end of the game. This guy is a jerk!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steelers--charge-of-jets--victory-formation-enrages-new-york-players--coaches-231334217.html

zulater
11-09-2014, 06:44 PM
It's a one score game. If he dislodges the ball and picks it up you have that one chance. I got no problem with Mitchell's effort there. If it's a 2 score game it's bush league. But I give him credit for playing to the final gun.

Shoes
11-09-2014, 06:49 PM
It's a one score game. If he dislodges the ball and picks it up you have that one chance. I got no problem with Mitchell's effort there. If it's a 2 score game it's bush league. But I give him credit for playing to the final gun.

He should have played that way for the 58 minutes prior to this. He gave up a TD and missed a bunch of tackles…..again.

steelerdude15
11-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I was more worried about him getting hurt on the play.

stillers4me
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I miss Ryan Clark.

We don't have any new players with that killer instinct.

st33lersguy
11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Mike Mitchell is a bust free agent signing

dislocatedday
11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
If I remember correctly, his contract is structured to where most of the bigger money kicks in years 3, 4, and 5. If he does not improve the Steelers can release him without a significant cap hit after year 2. His play this season has been a major disappointment. I was hopeful he was the next Ryan Clark for this team, but he has been nowhere near the caliber of play delivered by Ryan during his days as the Steelers FS.

Mojouw
11-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Guess those whispers from some that said the Carolina front 7 made Mitchell look better than he is/was were true.

Disappointing to say the least.

Steeldude
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
He can't tackle or hit like Ryan Clark but he can do this at the end of the game. This guy is a jerk!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steelers--charge-of-jets--victory-formation-enrages-new-york-players--coaches-231334217.html

And if he caused a fumble what then?

Shoes
11-09-2014, 08:01 PM
And if he caused a fumble what then?

How is he going to cause a fumble when Vick took a knee before he leaped? Like I said he had 58.5 minutes to play aggressive football and came up short.

SteelerFanInStl
11-09-2014, 08:04 PM
He should have played that way for the 58 minutes prior to this. He gave up a TD and missed a bunch of tackles…..again.

Exactly. That's f'ing bush league shit. No one on this forum would like it if that was done to the Steelers.

Steeldude
11-09-2014, 08:25 PM
How is he going to cause a fumble when Vick took a knee before he leaped? Like I said he had 58.5 minutes to play aggressive football and came up short.

And if he caused a fumble? It was a one-score game.

He was trying to time it and failed. If he makes contact before Vick kneels then something good could have come of it. It wasn't that bad. So if he plays poorly in the majority of the game he should just stay stagnant and accept defeat?

You are right, they should have played with fire from the start, but most knew they wouldn't because it was versus a poor team. I expect the same when they play the next poor team.

NCSteeler
11-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I don't think it's cheap in a one score game, but I can certainly appreciate people who do. One another note, DO NOT sign Panther players expecting them to be good, wtf, Steelers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shoes
11-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Mitchell has been a windbag thus far…lots of talk and poor sportsmanship, and his play is lacking.

st33lersguy
11-09-2014, 08:34 PM
It's a bush league tactic. Maybe if Mitchell had made some plays beforehand, (I know for him this is too much to ask for) the Jets wouldn't be taking a knee

86WARD
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
But it's not really bush league if he somehow causes a fumble and the Steelers wind up winning.

tube517
11-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Game's not over. Still a chance. He didn't do anything illegal. :noidea:

He looked like Marcus Gilbert falling all over the place because he isn't Troy.

Shoes
11-09-2014, 09:58 PM
So was this Tomlin's decision too?

"I just do what coaches ask me to do, I don't care what they're saying," Mitchell said. "We thought maybe we could get them to drop the ball, be startled by it and drop the ball."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7084642-74/steelers-harrison-roethlisberger#ixzz3IdP4NVPx
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive) | triblive on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive)

Dwinsgames
11-09-2014, 10:30 PM
I miss Ryan Clark.

We don't have any new players with that killer instinct.

Problem is Clark lost his along with a step or 3 in 2013

st33lersguy
11-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Problem is Clark lost his along with a step or 3 in 2013

And he is still better than Mike Mitchell. No wonder only senile Al thought he was better than a 7th round pick

silver & black
11-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Like I said, he only wanted to lay the big hit when he was with us. He never wrapped up. He was always kind of "out there". Good luck with him.

fansince'76
11-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Two words: Joe Pisarcik.

And, pursuant to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

(Let's see how many people make the connection)

:chuckle:

tube517
11-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Two words: Joe Pisarcik.

And, pursuant to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

(Let's see how many people make the connection)

:chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8tRjlVKZv0

zulater
11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
If you want to question the Mitchell signing and the quality of his play so far this year that's one thing. But if this thread is specific to him diving over the top on that last second kneel down. I got no problem with what he did. Again. One score game. If it's a two score game it's bush league. But one score, play to the whistle. Stranger things have happened.

Lady Steel
11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
If you want to question the Mitchell signing and the quality of his play so far this year that's one thing. But if this thread is specific to him diving over the top on that last second kneel down. I got no problem with what he did. Again. One score game. If it's a two score game it's bush league. But one score, play to the whistle. Stranger things have happened.

Especially since there was a minute plus on the clock, which was plenty of time for us to, hopefully, make something happen if we could have had the ball back.

Shoes
11-10-2014, 09:34 PM
There would have been a forum melt down if the tables were turned. Poor sportsmanship imo.

st33lersguy
11-10-2014, 09:46 PM
There would have been a forum melt down if the tables were turned. Poor sportsmanship imo.

You are 100% right. No need to degenerate into Greg Schiano's Bucs

zulater
11-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Not from anyone who bothered to think the situation out.

Steeldude
11-11-2014, 04:56 AM
There would have been a forum melt down if the tables were turned.

Only from the illogical.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 05:04 AM
its only " dirty / sketchy " when it doesn't work ....

if it works its considered genius !

SteelMember
11-11-2014, 11:49 AM
... And if it were Troy, would we even give a shit.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Tomlin say's crashing victory formation was not authorized by him ... and not professional ... ( I beg to differ as I believe in playing to the whistle and never give up ) giving up to me is unprofessional ... why not just play 59 min then and end the game

says he nodded in acknowledgement of the question but did not respond to it .... WHAT ?? if someone asks me a question and I nod that normally means yea , sure , ok , fine not that I heard you unless that is a follow up because I did not respond initially and since when is a nod a non response ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000426641/article/steelers-tomlin-on-mitchells-leap-not-professional

st33lersguy
11-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Well if it is indeed a sign of not giving up, I just think it is stupid that he waits until game 10 when the other team is in victory formation to try and contribute to the team

Lady Steel
11-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Tomlin say's crashing victory formation was not authorized by him ... and not professional ... ( I beg to differ as I believe in playing to the whistle and never give up ) giving up to me is unprofessional ... why not just play 59 min then and end the game

says he nodded in acknowledgement of the question but did not respond to it .... WHAT ?? if someone asks me a question and I nod that normally means yea , sure , ok , fine not that I heard you unless that is a follow up because I did not respond initially and since when is a nod a non response ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000426641/article/steelers-tomlin-on-mitchells-leap-not-professional

Tomlin sounds like a Mafia Don nodding to his henchman. :lol:

Shoes
11-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Dwins, I could understand the thought if the Steelers played 59 minutes of football, but they didn't. Even if they did I still wouldn't permit it. Its kind of like shooting an enemy soldier waving the white flag because the war wasn't over.

GBMelBlount
11-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Well if it is indeed a sign of not giving up, I just think it is stupid that he waits until game 10 when the other team is in victory formation to try and contribute to the team

LOL.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Dwins, I could understand the thought if the Steelers played 59 minutes of football, but they didn't. Even if they did I still wouldn't permit it. Its kind of like shooting an enemy soldier waving the white flag because the war wasn't over.

the people winning the war never wave the white flag ....

down by 1 score 1 play can change the outcome ... if you do not go all out till the final gun why would anyone want to watch the game

sure they stunk up the joint all night , BUT 1 play could erase that ...

this " victory formation shit " has 1 purpose and 1 purpose only to run all the time off the clock so the opponent cant beat you and you do not screw up and let them beat you ... up 2-3 scores with a min left I get it otherwise it has no place in the game IMO at least not with the understanding the other team is going to let you end their chances on your terms

should the defense just walk off the field ?

I mean if not going to try to change the outcome why be on the field at all ?

the NFL catch phrase is play 60 , I am not going to bash a guy or team for doing just that , I applaud it

Shoes
11-11-2014, 09:29 PM
the people winning the war never wave the white flag ....

down by 1 score 1 play can change the outcome ... if you do not go all out till the final gun why would anyone want to watch the game

sure they stunk up the joint all night , BUT 1 play could erase that ...

this " victory formation shit " has 1 purpose and 1 purpose only to run all the time off the clock so the opponent cant beat you and you do not screw up and let them beat you ... up 2-3 scores with a min left I get it otherwise it has no place in the game IMO at least not with the understanding the other team is going to let you end their chances on your terms

should the defense just walk off the field ?

I mean if not going to try to change the outcome why be on the field at all ?

the NFL catch phrase is play 60 , I am not going to bash a guy or team for doing just that , I applaud it

I know plenty who have. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Bro.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Bro.

that's fine but 1 parting question if I may

if expected to give up with a min left and down by 1 score why is the game not then over ?

Shoes
11-11-2014, 09:55 PM
that's fine but 1 parting question if I may

if expected to give up with a min left and down by 1 score why is the game not then over ?

It isn't if both teams are playing. The V-formation to me is a gentleman's agreement between teams, everyone knows what it means and the team that played better has the privilege of using it.

Dwinsgames
11-11-2014, 10:12 PM
It isn't if both teams are playing. The V-formation to me is a gentleman's agreement between teams, everyone knows what it means and the team that played better has the privilege of using it.

if that is your take , fine ....

but to have an gentleman's agreement you have to have two willing participants ....

as a side note not directed at you specifically but this whole thing smells of an imposed Rule by Goof-Dell that everyone would bitch about if it happened

Shoes
11-11-2014, 10:23 PM
if that is your take , fine ....

but to have an gentleman's agreement you have to have two willing participants ....

as a side note not directed at you specifically but this whole thing smells of an imposed Rule by Goof-Dell that everyone would bitch about if it happened

everyone was willing except Mitchell. He's shown his colors more than once or twice this year.

Dwinsgames
11-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Mitchell sounds like a man turned on by his head coach ( to me , my opinion )

this story he sounds pissed , and betrayed ... perhaps I am wrong but that is what I take away from it

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/12/Mike-Mitchell-declines-to-discuss-stepping-over-line-against-Jets/stories/201411120209

Shoes
11-12-2014, 06:54 PM

this story he sounds pissed , and betrayed ... perhaps I am wrong but that is what I take away from it

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/12/Mike-Mitchell-declines-to-discuss-stepping-over-line-against-Jets/stories/201411120209

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Lady Steel
11-12-2014, 08:12 PM

I agree. Tomlin hung him out to dry.

tube517
11-12-2014, 08:17 PM

http://www.foghound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/thrown_under_the_bus.jpg

HollywoodSteel
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree. Tomlin hung him out to dry.

I'm not known to carry water for Tomlin or give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think Mitchell has really done anything to earn the man's respect, or mine for that matter. Had it been Troy Tomlin probably would have blamed himself for the miscommunication. But Troy has earned that respect. Let Mitchell play well for the first 59 minutes of the game and then maybe I'll grant him a little leeway for the last minute.

But of all the plays in that game for me to be pissed about, that play doesn't even register on my radar. Unless it ends up getting Ben hurt one day. I'm glad Ben chimed in the way he did disapproving of Mitchell's actions (whether he's right or wrong I think it's good strategy).

tube517
11-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Rexy Feet Boy complained about Mitchell, how come nobody asked him about Babin? :coffee:

86WARD
11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Rexy Feet Boy complained about Mitchell, how come nobody asked him about Babin? :coffee:

Excellent question. Pretty much same difference.

zulater
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I think this whole thing on Mitchell was overblown, and Tomlin didn't help with his comments. If he had a problem with Mitchell he should have kept it in house. Outside of possibly making a personal call to Rex to apologize.

But Mitchell has done something that pisses me off greatly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000427655/article/mitchell-steelers-to-test-mettenbergers-toughness

Free safety Mike Mitchell hopes to end that trend Monday night in Tennessee by putting a hurt on Titans rookie Zach Mettenberger.

"We're going to dial up some things to see how tough this quarterback is," Mitchell said Thursday, per David Todd of WBGG-AM.

Really? You think you've earned the right to be the team spokesman and say this? :doh:

James Harrison can say this. Brett Keisel can say this. Lawrence Timmons can say this. William Gay can even say this. But not you Mark Mitchell. Coming from you all this does is rile the other team up. You certainly have done nothing to inspire fear in Steeler opponents.
Just STFU. And get your game in order before running off at the mouth!

one side only
11-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Mitchell is just channeling his inner Ryan Clark.

st33lersguy
11-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Mitchell is just a poor man's Ryan Clark.

Fixed it

Steeldude
11-14-2014, 09:38 AM
I think it would have been better if McCullers made the leap instead of Mitchell.

Lady Steel
11-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I think this whole thing on Mitchell was overblown, and Tomlin didn't help with his comments. If he had a problem with Mitchell he should have kept it in house. Outside of possibly making a personal call to Rex to apologize.

But Mitchell has done something that pisses me off greatly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000427655/article/mitchell-steelers-to-test-mettenbergers-toughness

Really? You think you've earned the right to be the team spokesman and say this? :doh:

James Harrison can say this. Brett Keisel can say this. Lawrence Timmons can say this. William Gay can even say this. But not you Mark Mitchell. Coming from you all this does is rile the other team up. You certainly have done nothing to inspire fear in Steeler opponents.
Just STFU. And get your game in order before running off at the mouth!

Aye yai yai. Yeah, why give them bulletin board material? :doh2:He be dumb.