PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who is the worst Steelers offensive coordinator ever?

Godfather
11-09-2014, 06:24 PM
And do you go strictly by results, or do you give some guys (like Moore) a pass because they had to try to make chicken salad from chicken manure?

fansince'76
11-09-2014, 06:27 PM
I think I know who's going to win this one. And probably by a landslide. :chuckle:

Godfather
11-09-2014, 06:42 PM
I think I know who's going to win this one. And probably by a landslide. :chuckle:

The first four had a worse record (I skipped a couple who presided over success their whole tenure). But they had Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordoza, and Kent Graham so they have an excuse. The argument for them would be that they should have schemed based on what they had (and the fact that they had some talent like Mike Webster, Louis Lipps, Jerome Bettis, etc. over the years).

The argument for Arians and Haley is they were loaded with talent and underperformed with it.

zulater
11-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Ray Sherman and it's not even close.

Mojouw
11-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I seem to remember Joe Walton being both terrible and having an incomprehensible phone book sized playbook.

zulater
11-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I seem to remember Joe Walton being both terrible and having an incomprehensible phone book sized playbook.

Walton at least had a pedigree. He was just a bad match for Bubby who wasn't exactly a thinking man's qb.

Mojouw
11-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Walton at least had a pedigree. He was just a bad match for Bubby who wasn't exactly a thinking man's qb.

Good point. I just remember thinking that both Walton and Gilbride ran the scheme they wanted regardless of what players they actually had.

Didn't the offense actually improve under Sherman because he simplified Walton's stuff? Or am I thinking about something else?

tube517
11-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Sherman and Walton.

zulater
11-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Good point. I just remember thinking that both Walton and Gilbride ran the scheme they wanted regardless of what players they actually had.

Didn't the offense actually improve under Sherman because he simplified Walton's stuff? Or am I thinking about something else?
Sherman was 98. Followed a highly successful season in 97 under Chan Gailey. Basically he tried to make Kordell into a pocket passer. By the time he gave up on that wonderful idea Kordell's confidence was so shot it didn't matter anymore if you let him run or not.

Walton's successor was Rod Earhardt I think.

Mojouw
11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Sherman was 98. Followed a highly successful season in 97 under Chan Gailey. Basically he tried to make Kordell into a pocket passer. By the time he gave up on that wonderful idea Kordell's confidence was so shot it didn't matter anymore if you let him run or not.

Walton's successor was Rod Earhardt I think.

That was what I was thinking of.

X-Terminator
11-09-2014, 07:37 PM
I think Walton was the worst, but I couldn't pass up the customary "The Patriots* suck" answer :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I will change my answer to Farrah Fawcett.

X-Terminator
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
It ruins the poll when you add absurd choices.

I chose Walton, but Sherman was just as bad. I flipped a coin.

Yeah, if you take a message board poll seriously. We ain't Gallup, for crying out loud.

The point of the thread is more about the topic than the poll. Yeah, I know..."well then create the thread without the poll." There, I've made your next statement for you. Keep the change.

Godfather
11-09-2014, 07:58 PM
I will change my answer to Farrah Fawcett.

You can't have a SU poll without a "Pats Suck" option, an overhyped player (Favre/Tebow/Sam), and a Fire The Offensive Coordinator option.

I just had to tweak those a little since "Fire Haley" is a serious option for this subject, and "Brady is gay" is too repetitive when Michael Sam is the most overexposed player :lol:

As far as Walton using a playbook for a smart quarterback, that's definitely a point against him. You have to use the players you have and he should have dumbed down the offense.

Steeldude
11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
You can't have a SU poll without a "Pats Suck" option, an overhyped player (Favre/Tebow/Sam), and a Fire The Offensive Coordinator option.

I just had to tweak those a little since "Fire Haley" is a serious option for this subject, and "Brady is gay" is too repetitive when Michael Sam is the most overexposed player :lol:

As far as Walton using a playbook for a smart quarterback, that's definitely a point against him. You have to use the players you have and he should have dumbed down the offense.

My Farrah Fawcett comment was regarding Micheal Sam : )

Godfather
11-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah, if you take a message board poll seriously. We ain't Gallup, for crying out loud.

Actually, that would be an interesting experiment. "Which candidate do you support?" -- Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Gary Johnson, France Sucks...

- - - Updated - - -

My Farrah Fawcett comment was regarding Micheal Sam : )

:cheers:

We need BSPN to start talking about someone else ad nauseum so we can update the third joke option.