PDA

View Full Version : Mike Munchak has fingerprints all over Steelers' success

stillers4me
11-09-2014, 09:24 AM
It's one thing to be a Hall of Fame player. It's something else living up to that standard as a coach. "Mike backs it up," Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said.

That would be Mike Munchak, the Steelers offensive line coach. He was the team's best free-agent pickup of the offseason, better than any of the players it signed.

No coach has a more significant impact on a game than the offensive line coach. Haley can call great plays, but if his players don't execute them, the team loses. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, another Hall of Famer who has excelled as a coach, can design the perfect game plan, but if his players don't carry out their assignments, the team loses. But a great line coach - Munchak qualifies - can make players better, not just in training camp and in practice, but in games...............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/11/09/Ron-Cook-Mike-Munchak-has-fingerprints-all-over-Steelers-success/stories/201411090225

- - - Updated - - -

Love this!

Munchak gives a lot of credit to the line's star, center Maurkice Pouncey, and to Pouncey's relationship with Roethlisberger.
"When Pouncey is your leader and he and the quarterback get along as well as they do and trust each other and have so much confidence in each other and in what's being called, it's great for the team. The communication has to really be good between those five guys [up front] and Ben. On the sideline, Ben comes over quite often and says, 'Next time, can you do this or can you do that?' That helps a lot. In game-time situations, we can make adjustments. No one is worried about who's at fault. It's, 'How can we fix this? I'll do this the next time.' I think that relationship is important for that to happen."
So is the relationship between the offensive line coach and the coordinator and head coach. Munchak said he loves working with Haley and came to the Steelers, in large part, because of Tomlin.
"I knew the stability they have here. I didn't want to go someplace for one year and move again. I was in Houston and Nashville for a long time. I'm hoping I can finish in Pittsburgh."