PDA

View Full Version : Rookie receiver Bryant has left unmistakable impact on Steelers

stillers4me
11-09-2014, 08:51 AM
The superlatives surrounding Steelers rookie receiver Martavis Bryant are evident.

His five touchdown receptions, an NFL record for receivers in the first three games of their career; the spark he has provided a once-underachieving offense that's scoring about three touchdowns more per game since he was added to the lineup; the legitimate deep threat he provides the Steelers for the first time since Mike Wallace left two years ago.

What isn't evident is how a fourth-round pick labeled as raw and as a project by the organization not long after it drafted him became not only the impetus of a record-setting offense but also the catalyst of a last-to-first, three-week turnaround in the AFC North heading into Sunday's game against the New York Jets.

Former NFL safety Matt Bowen, who now writes for Bleacher Report, has a theory.

"He puts stress on top of the defense," Bowen said. "He is a true deep-ball threat with a quarterback that trusts his ability as a rookie to get the ball. That opens up the middle of the field and creates even more opportunities for Roethlisberger to target other receivers."

Is it as simple as that?..............................

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7084524-74/bryant-martavis-steelers#ixzz3IaDEqtV7

86WARD
11-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Great...another "useless" record...

I think this team has set the record for the amount of useless records broken in a season.

Lady Steel
11-09-2014, 11:31 PM
I think Bryant is playing very well, and good for him.

The thing is, instead of mixing things up, Haley keeps running a previously successful play ad nauseam. Next week, he'll probably have Ben throwing to no one but Bryant.

X-Terminator
11-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Great...another "useless" record...

I think this team has set the record for the amount of useless records broken in a season.

Media, dude. Blame the media.

GBMelBlount
11-10-2014, 08:43 AM
"He puts stress on top of the defense," Bowen said. "He is a true deep-ball threat with a quarterback that trusts his ability as a rookie to get the ball. That opens up the middle of the field and creates even more opportunities for Roethlisberger to target other receivers."

Is it as simple as that?..............................

It may be.

vader29
11-10-2014, 08:47 AM
He'd make a pretty good target in the red zone, oh wait we have James Harrison so we'll use him instead. :frusty:

Psycho Ward 86
11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
he's also making rookie mistakes. he should have been coming back to that ball in the redzone or reaching away from his body. The difference between a TD and a tip drill interception

crcsnail
11-10-2014, 10:22 AM
he's also making rookie mistakes. he should have been coming back to that ball in the redzone or reaching away from his body. The difference between a TD and a tip drill interception

I agree with that psycho . but I also knew that was the play that was coming . so didn't the jets have a good idea as well? I think it was also mentioned in the gameday forum.