PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt secondary provides timely lift for Steelers defense

stillers4me
11-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Three of the Steelers who will start in the secondary Sunday against the New York Jets were reserves at the beginning of the season. Cornerbacks William Gay and Brice McCain and safety Will Allen have something else in common.

All three were released from NFL teams within the past two years.

The Steelers might not be the Salvation Army, but they take in players who were cast aside by others and fit them into their system as well as any NFL team. It has been a specialty of longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Gay and McCain have flourished since entering the starting lineup because of Ike Taylor’s injury and Cortez Allen’s benching, and LeBeau will be looking for the same from Allen, who will make his first start this season in place of injured Troy Polamalu........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/08/Three-former-reserves-get-their-shot-in-the-defensive-backfield-for-Steelers/stories/201411080090

Lady Steel
11-08-2014, 11:05 PM
“We want to play for Dick LeBeau,” Allen said. “That’s a key component of it. It’s fun. He changes things up, allows us to make plays, puts us in position to make plays.

“We want to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and we all want to play for each other. I just think the group we have here and the guys who have been through the system before us and set the foundation and the current guys, we all understand the responsibility of what it means to put on a Steelers uniform.

“We want to leave a legacy and play hard. It’s a lot of fun doing it and doing it together.”

This makes me smile.