PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin says he won't take 1-8 Jets lightly

stillers4me
11-05-2014, 06:58 PM
No one needs to explain to Mike Tomlin the dangers of underestimating an opponent with a poor record. The Steelers lost at home to the Buccaneers, 27-24, on Sept. 28. It's Tampa Bay's only win this season.

In 2007, the Jets were 1-8 — the same record as they have now — when they upset the Steelers, who were 7-2, 19-16 in overtime.
“You'd better respect teams when you step into the stadium,” Tomlin said. “I respect anybody we play week in and week out.”
• Tomlin called Ravens returner Jacoby Jones' 108-yard kickoff return touchdown “ridiculous,” and said he watched distracted players dancing to stadium music in advance of the return. “Unacceptable. … You won't see our kickoff team dancing anymore before we kick the ball off,” he said..............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7084207-74/steelers-safety-defense#ixzz3IFHxmXdK

Dwinsgames
11-05-2014, 07:00 PM
sounds like Mike is growing a spine

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Forgive me, but Tomlin's words about this mean absolutely nothing to me at this point. Is he saying that they're going to implement some new aspect to this week of practice that they didn't do before when facing a lesser opponent? If so, I'd love to know what this new thing is and how Tomlin suddenly learned about it (and why an NFL head coach didn't know about doing it up until now given how many times we've played down to crappy teams). If there is no new thing that means he's going to approach it the EXACT SAME WAY as he always has which makes his statement worthless.

And this is the kind of thing that drives me CRAZY:

“Unacceptable. … You won't see our kickoff team dancing anymore before we kick the ball off,” he said.

Why the hell do things like this have to happen a first time before Tomlin suddenly tells our guys not to do it? What other ridiculously stupid things are still in our future because Tomlin has yet to tell the team not to do it?

st33lersguy
11-05-2014, 07:14 PM
He also said the Steelers would unleash hell in December 2009. Sorry Mike, your word has lost value, got to see it to believe it

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2014, 07:34 PM
While we're on the topic, it scares me every time I see one of our guys spin the ball like a top after scoring a TD. Didn't AB draw a flag for this earlier in the year? I think it's a stupid rule, but you never know when a ref is gonna call it "using the ball as a prop." And you know it's gonna take us drawing another flag before Tomlin lays down the edict to stop doing it. How about laying down all these edicts before the season starts and reminding everyone once a week so stupid, avoidable stuff never has to hurt us a first time? Wouldn't that be nice? And isn't it something you'd think a coach getting paid millions of dollars would think of before I would?

salamander
11-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Whatever you say, Coach.

Merchant
11-05-2014, 07:43 PM
The head coach can only do so much to prepare his team psychologically; it's up to the players to execute. Unfortunately the coach also shoulders the blame when the player's DON'T execute. Is it really the coaches fault that the players were dancing before the 108 yard kickoff return? These are grown men. I'm sure Tomlin has had countless talks with them about maintaining discipline. Motivational speeches about not taking any opponent lightly can only go so far, and Tomlin can't be out there on the field.

tube517
11-05-2014, 07:47 PM
While we're on the topic, it scares me every time I see one of our guys spin the ball like a top after scoring a TD. Didn't AB draw a flag for this earlier in the year? I think it's a stupid rule, but you never know when a ref is gonna call it "using the ball as a prop." And you know it's gonna take us drawing another flag before Tomlin lays down the edict to stop doing it. How about laying down all these edicts before the season starts and reminding everyone once a week so stupid, avoidable stuff never has to hurt us a first time? Wouldn't that be nice? And isn't it something you'd think a coach getting paid millions of dollars would think of before I would?

AB was penalized because he went to the ground after spinning the ball.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/28/6857655/antonio-brown-celebrates-touchdown-by-gyrating-and-falling

polamalubeast
11-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Jets lost 27-25 against the Patriots, so it is certain you must not take this team lightly

The steelers are better in recent weeks against the run, but if the steelers are soft in this game, it will be brutal because the jets have one of the best run offense in the nfl

The turnovers(-17) are the reason why the Jets are 1-8, so if the steelers not make turnovers in defense, very good chance that the game will be close

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2014, 08:36 PM
walk the walk

X-Terminator
11-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Spinning the ball like a top after a TD is not a penalty. Players around the league do it every week. However, going to the ground IS a penalty, and that's what AB was penalized for.

And how do you know that Tomlin hasn't stressed this from day one?

Steeldude
11-05-2014, 08:55 PM
sounds like Mike is growing a spine

And finally learning that every opponent should not be taken lightly

Moose
11-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah - that's all I hear when Tomlin opens his mouth ! I haven't seen where he has the team pumped for a bottom feeder yet ! The player's are full grown men, supposedly professionals, if they aren't ready to kick ass before EVERY game then they aren't worth having. 16 games is all you have....prepare and play ! Who gives a crap what the opponents win/loss record is, the score is 0-0 at the start, your play determines the rest ! Go STEELER'S!!!!

steelreserve
11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
I actually believe him. We seem to take our first 6-8 opponents lightly no matter who they are. Then around midseason we pull our heads out of our asses and hope it's enough to salvage the season. Since we're past the midway point, maybe tere's something to it.

Craic
11-06-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm always amazed at how we keep forgetting this history of this team. Any time we go 3-3 or better, we have a decent chance of making the playoffs, anytime we don't, we don't. And, in the post-Noll era, this team seldom EVER comes out better than 3-3 or 4-2 in the first six (less than 25 percent of the time).

2014 3-3
2013 2-4 no playoffs
2012 3-3 no playoffs
2011 4-2 playoffs
2010 5-1 playoffs Superbowl
2009 4-2 missed plaoyffs
2008 5-1 playoffs won Superbowl
2007 4-2 playoffs
2006 2-4 missed playoffs
2005 4-2 playoffs won Superbowl
2004 5-1 playoffs lost AFCCG
2003 2-4 missed playoffs
2002 3-3 playoffs
2001 5-1 playoffs
2000 3-3 missed playoffs
1999 3-3 missed playoffs
1998 4-2 missed playoffs
1997 4-2 playoffs
1996 5-1 playoffs
1995 3-3 Playoffs SB loss
1994 4-2 Playoffs
1993 4-2 Playoffs
1992 4-2 Playoffs

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 12:32 PM
But Bill Cowher was steel chinned motivator of men! He would have never allowed his teams to play down to inferior opponents or come out flat early in the season.

Count Steeler
11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't know. I just get a different vibe from Tomlin on the sideline the last couple of weeks. Don't know if someone had a talk with him or if he had some "Aha" moments. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to rise again.

Moose
11-06-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't know. I just get a different vibe from Tomlin on the sideline the last couple of weeks. Don't know if someone had a talk with him or if he had some "Aha" moments. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to rise again.

Or maybe he felt the seat getting pretty damn warm !

ALLD
11-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I don't think Tomlin wanted to follow Arians into "retirement" although it worked out fine for him. The time for Tomlin to make his own mark with his own players is now. We need some cute reporter to tell Ben exactly what he needs as far as statistics to break a new record. If she's hot he might have it by the first half.

Lady Steel
11-06-2014, 11:44 PM
And finally learning that every opponent should not be taken lightly

:iagree:

Shoes
11-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Spinning the ball like a top after a TD is not a penalty. Players around the league do it every week. However, going to the ground IS a penalty, and that's what AB was penalized for.

And how do you know that Tomlin hasn't stressed this from day one?

Bryant has that spin perfected….even on a grass field. :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Bryant has that spin perfected….even on a grass field. :chuckle:

The pathetic part is today's youth will spend countless hours on learning how to spin the ball or doing a lame dance rather than learning the playbook and perfecting their craft.