PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offense might never be the same after offensive explosion

stillers4me
11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Nobody will wonder again what Ben Roethlisberger could do if the Steelers turned him loose.

In three remarkable games that reshaped the AFC North race and produced the greatest offensive outburst in Steelers history, Roethlisberger rewrote the NFL record book and thrust himself into the league's MVP discussion.

Roethlisberger's record 12 touchdown passes in two games also might signal that the offensive modus operandi they've attempted to adopt since pushing out Bruce Arians as coordinator three years ago might be outdated.

When they can throw like this — like they've never thrown before — can they possibly turn back into a low-risk offense reliant on the run and short passes, like it was a month ago? The system co-owner Art Rooney II wanted Todd Haley to implement?

The only time linebacker Lawrence Timmons saw numbers like those the Steelers are putting up, he was sitting behind a game console...........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7080474-74/steelers-games-roethlisberger#ixzz3IFHI9Wzo

salamander
11-05-2014, 06:58 PM
You mean the team actually plays well when you let your franchise QB do his job? Imagine that. :heh:

MrPgh
11-05-2014, 09:20 PM
I wonder if Dan Rooney had something to do with this sudden change in offensive philosophy. After seeing the team lose in embarrassing fashion to Tampa Bay and Cleveland, and barely beat Jacksonville, I wouldn't be surprised if he got fed up and put his foot up some asses. Perhaps he reminded them that winning is more important than trying to "impose your will" and take the NFL back in time.

GBMelBlount
11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I wonder if Dan Rooney had something to do with this sudden change in offensive philosophy. After seeing the team lose in embarrassing fashion to Tampa Bay and Cleveland, and barely beat Jacksonville, I wouldn't be surprised if he got fed up and put his foot up some asses.

Perhaps he reminded them that winning is more important than trying to "impose your will" and take the NFL back in time.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/25152461.jpg

Steelerette
11-05-2014, 10:32 PM
We barely ran any No Huddle the past two games. This isn't "unleashing Ben" or some cockeyed notion that he's been handcuffed before this. It's Haley and Munchak and the players having everything on the same page, the O-line finally being a respectable unit, and Martavis going downfield, totally changing the way teams have to cover us.

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 09:07 AM
We barely ran any No Huddle the past two games. This isn't "unleashing Ben" or some cockeyed notion that he's been handcuffed before this. It's Haley and Munchak and the players having everything on the same page, the O-line finally being a respectable unit, and Martavis going downfield, totally changing the way teams have to cover us.

Couldn't agree more. It is execution and having the personell to run the offense that I think Haley has been working towards since the get-go. This whole thing is starting to look suspiciously like those high-powered Arizona offenses of a handful of years ago.

MrPgh
11-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Uh, no. The coaches may have finally seen the light, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong before. This used to be a candy-ass east-west offense. In Cleveland, they ran the ball 13 straight times and between 20 and 30 times in the first half before they were getting blown out. And don't get me started on them playing Justin Brown over Lance Moore.

The coaches may be getting it right now, but don't act like they've been getting it right the entire time. What they're doing now is what they should have been doing weeks ago.

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Uh, no. The coaches may have finally seen the light, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong before. This used to be a candy-ass east-west offense. In Cleveland, they ran the ball 13 straight times and between 20 and 30 times in the first half before they were getting blown out. And don't get me started on them playing Justin Brown over Lance Moore.

The coaches may be getting it right now, but don't act like they've been getting it right the entire time. What they're doing now is what they should have been doing weeks ago.

My have had something to do with the fact that Wheaton couldn't catch a cold, Bryant didn't know enough of the playbook to get on the field, and the o-line wasn't really blocking anyone. There has clearly been a progression to the offensive gameplans this season and while it was a slow painful process, I believe this is what they were building to all along.

Obviously no one was counting on/planning for 6 TD's per game.

slippy
11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
big picture: it seems all horses are now pulling in the same direction ... finally.

MrPgh
11-06-2014, 10:01 AM
My have had something to do with the fact that Wheaton couldn't catch a cold, Bryant didn't know enough of the playbook to get on the field, and the o-line wasn't really blocking anyone. There has clearly been a progression to the offensive gameplans this season and while it was a slow painful process, I believe this is what they were building to all along.

Obviously no one was counting on/planning for 6 TD's per game.

It doesn't excuse playing Justin Brown over Lance Moore even when Moore was healthy. It doesn't excuse an offensive gameplan that was primarily east-west. It doesn't excuse trying to play three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football in Cleveland. It doesn't excuse trying to turn the franchise QB into Trent Dilfer.

You can give the coaches credit for finally seeing the light, but don't act like they've been right the entire time. That's the worst kind of yinzer homerism.

zulater
11-06-2014, 10:19 AM

I agree. The vertical passing game is what's opened up this offense and got Ben into the MVP discussion. There's at least 25 NFL qb's who could have done what Ben was being asked to do in the Steelers offense the first 6 games of the season. The last 3, last two in particular, only Aaron Rodgers could have executed it so efficiently. What we were doing before was akin to running a Formula one Grand Prix race car back and forth to the 7-11 just around the corner. Or better yet running a golf cart on the autobahn.

Now here's the thing. Just because Ben hasn't thrown interceptions the past 3 games doesn't mean he wont if you keep attacking downfield.So when inevitably he does have a multiple interception game the test will be whether the Steelers are willing to stick with it? Hopefully they will because the risk reward factor is still in our favor. The vertical passing game opens up the controlled passing game and the running game. And in turn the running game opens up the play action pass. I mean before we were running play action but with the corners squatting on the wide-outs, and the safeties unconcerned with the deep passing game, the intermediate routes we were trying to set up off play action had little hope.

As far as Martavious Bryant. My belief is he could have come in and contributed long before he did. And let's say we had snuck out an ugly win in Cleveland, is anyone really going to try to make the argument that Bryant would have been activated for the Texans game? It was a move made largely out of desperation (thankfully) not because the Steelers staff was waiting for the right time to spring their ace in the hole.

So lets not give the Steelers coaches too much credit here. It shouldn't have taken bottoming out to get such an obviously talented player on the field.

zulater
11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
And before anyone tries to put words in my mouth. I'm not saying Bryant should have started week one. I know he had some injury issues. But it should have been long before week 7. The talent is obvious. And you can't teach 6'5".

Craic
11-06-2014, 11:05 AM
And before anyone tries to put words in my mouth. I'm not saying Bryant should have started week one. I know he had some injury issues. But it should have been long before week 7. The talent is obvious. And you can't teach 6'5".

No, but 6'5" does nothing to help you when he's broken a route off short left when he should've ran straight, and now the safety is just standing there with his arms out waiting for the INT. It takes time for players to learn the system, and time for things to come together. It also takes time for new coaches to get their guys coached up the way they want them to be. So, my thoughts on what happened . . .

Munchak walks into an offensive coaching meeting a few days after camp begins last summer. Haley waves him over and sets down a beer in front of him. "So, what do you think?"

"I think Ben's going to get killed this season, at least until these guys learn how to block someone."

"Really?" Halley asks. "How much time do you think it'll take?"

"I don't know. Tell you what, keep Ben safe for the first half of the season, and I'll do my best to have the line trained up."

"That doesn't sound good."

"Maybe not, but neither does, 'Steelers starting Quarterback, Tim Tebow.'"

"Ahh," Haley scratches his chin. "I see your point."

zulater
11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Any receiver with speed can run a 9 route from word go. Quick slant and button hook aren't that difficult to understand either. In fact I'll wager right now Martavias' playbook is slimmer than the veteran receivers. In my opinion if the Steelers would have won ugly against the Browns and Texans Bryant would still be on the weekly inactive list. It was only the complete bottoming out of the offense that finally made the Steelers staff acknowledge change had to be made, even if the talent wasn't 100% immersed into the offense.

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
I think this whole debate hinges on whether or not you think the coaching staff is reactive or proactive. I tend to think they are proactive and we, as fans, simply are kept in the dark.

Essentially, proactive, Bryant is brought along slowly and only deployed when he has demonstrated enough tools and mental ability in practice to have success on game-day. While reactive would be -- holy shit! We are losing to crap teams and our offense is terrible, let's throw the rookies in there!

MrPgh
11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
No, but 6'5" does nothing to help you when he's broken a route off short left when he should've ran straight, and now the safety is just standing there with his arms out waiting for the INT. It takes time for players to learn the system, and time for things to come together. It also takes time for new coaches to get their guys coached up the way they want them to be. So, my thoughts on what happened . . .

Munchak walks into an offensive coaching meeting a few days after camp begins last summer. Haley waves him over and sets down a beer in front of him. "So, what do you think?"

"I think Ben's going to get killed this season, at least until these guys learn how to block someone."

"Really?" Halley asks. "How much time do you think it'll take?"

"I don't know. Tell you what, keep Ben safe for the first half of the season, and I'll do my best to have the line trained up."

"That doesn't sound good."

"Maybe not, but neither does, 'Steelers starting Quarterback, Tim Tebow.'"

"Ahh," Haley scratches his chin. "I see your point."

He's more helpful than the WR who only run blocks, drops passes, and fumbles in the red zone.

Let's stop making excuses for the coaching staff in the first 6 weeks of the season. They were wrong. Just acknowledge it and hope they continue to get it right moving forward.

fansince'76
11-06-2014, 12:25 PM

Todd Haley on Martavis Bryant: 'He Got the Opportunity When He Showed He was Ready for it'
(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-todd-haley-martavis-bryant-opportunity/)
:noidea:

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Todd Haley on Martavis Bryant: 'He Got the Opportunity When He Showed He was Ready for it'
(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-todd-haley-martavis-bryant-opportunity/)

I think everyone should go back and read the pre-draft scouting reports on Bryant. He was lucky if he even knew how to run a go route, much less a complete route tree with adjustments.

I don't care how fast he is, how big he is, etc if he would have played knowing only one route, it wouldn't have worked. Teams would have known he was only in there to run the fly route. By waiting and developing Bryant as a player, the Steelers ensured that a young talented athlete can be put in to a position to succeed. Perhaps the lessons learned from one Limas Sweed?

zulater
11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
I think this whole debate hinges on whether or not you think the coaching staff is reactive or proactive. I tend to think they are proactive and we, as fans, simply are kept in the dark.

Essentially, proactive, Bryant is brought along slowly and only deployed when he has demonstrated enough tools and mental ability in practice to have success on game-day. While reactive would be -- holy shit! We are losing to crap teams and our offense is terrible, let's throw the rookies in there!

Reactive. No one can convince me that Bryant just happened to come up to speed the morning after the offensive crap fest in Cleveland. Read Tomlin's quotes in his Tuesday press conference after that game, change was going to be made for change's sake. And we probably only have God to thank that we didn't win a stinker in Cleveland. Because in my opinion it not only took a lack of offensive productivity but that combined with a loss for our stubborn coaching staff to recognize change couldn't be put off.

- - - Updated - - -

I think everyone should go back and read the pre-draft scouting reports on Bryant. He was lucky if he even knew how to run a go route, much less a complete route tree with adjustments.

I don't care how fast he is, how big he is, etc if he would have played knowing only one route, it wouldn't have worked. Teams would have known he was only in there to run the fly route. By waiting and developing Bryant as a player, the Steelers ensured that a young talented athlete can be put in to a position to succeed. Perhaps the lessons learned from one Limas Sweed?

So he not only comes in, he immediately contributes in a huge way. My guess he could have contributed to some degree weeks earlier. And while I have no way of proving this, had we won in Cleveland and followed it up with an underwhelming win against the Texans I think he's still being deactivated every week because he doesn't play special teams.

zulater
11-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Again I hearken back to Tomlin's Tuesday presser after the Browns loss. He made it known in no uncertain terms that Martavias's time was now. That different personell were going to be put on the field and evaluated. So I think Haley's sudden realization that Bryant was ready to play came with a great big shove in the back from Tomlin after the game that night in Cleveland.

So in this case I'm given high marks to Tomlin. Because I think not only did he take charge of that situation, I also think he told LeBeau the defense would start to play more aggressively.

Tomlin had has grinch before Christmas moment that night, and he grew as a coach and his tiny little Tomlin brain grew 100 times it's size that night. :heh:

one side only
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Agree with you 100%, Zu.

Count Steeler
11-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Again I hearken back to Tomlin's Tuesday presser after the Browns loss. He made it known in no uncertain terms that Martavias's time was now. That different personell were going to be put on the field and evaluated. So I think Haley's sudden realization that Bryant was ready to play came with a great big shove in the back from Tomlin after the game that night in Cleveland.

So in this case I'm given high marks to Tomlin. Because I think not only did he take charge of that situation, I also think he told LeBeau the defense would start to play more aggressively.

Tomlin had has grinch before Christmas moment that night, and he grew as a coach and his tiny little Tomlin brain grew 100 times it's size that night. :heh:

I said it in another thread, Tomlin looks different to me during the last 3 games. Maybe the Rooneys, or Art himself paid him a visit. (Think Christmas Carol)

Mojouw
11-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Again I hearken back to Tomlin's Tuesday presser after the Browns loss. He made it known in no uncertain terms that Martavias's time was now. That different personell were going to be put on the field and evaluated. So I think Haley's sudden realization that Bryant was ready to play came with a great big shove in the back from Tomlin.

Or the team practices almost every day and they had been working diligently as a staff to get a valuable offensive weapon on the field since the start of training camp and it was finally going to happen.

Or they decided they were going to leave a club in the bag...because...stubborn?

It seems, at least to me, but what do I know (not much!) -- that early in the year they put Justin Brown on the field because he at least knew the plays. They also knew that they were going to have to run the ball for 3 major reasons:

1. The o-line is better at run blocking than pass blocking and Munchak was still getting the unit up to speed.
2. They need to protect a young and obviously struggling defense by having as big as an advantage as possible in TOP. This typically equals run-heavy offensive play calling.
3. The WR corps was totally young and inexperienced. Also, I hate to say it, but all evidence points to the fact that Lance Moore was/is a bad fit. There were whispers that the Saints were done with him because his skills had started to decline. Either way, after AB and Moore, no one on the roster really had any NFL experience. They tried to use Wheaton early in the season and he clearly was simply not ready. If Wheaton was not ready after an injury filled year in the system, how ready could the super-raw Bryant have been after a few months in the program?

Then week by week in practice, they were working on integrating these young players into a cohesive offensive game plan. Now, I grant you that two disastrous showings likely rushed the process; but I honestly believe it was always going to be a phased in process.

zulater
11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I said it in another thread, Tomlin looks different to me during the last 3 games. Maybe the Rooneys, or Art himself paid him a visit. (Think Christmas Carol)

Or maybe he just said to hell with it and decided to lite a fuse under his coaching staff? We've all accused him of being too much of a players coach, when maybe the problem all along he was too much of a coaches coach? This is my new theory anyway. :chuckle:

Steelerette
11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
There's not really a dichotomy here - it's a little bit of both. Things are finally coming together and you can (rightly) argue that we made the effort with Sweed, plus the bajillion picks on OL the past several years, but something about the O-line is finally working and it's clear that it's a shame Ben didn't have his "Big WR" much sooner than he got it.

fansince'76
11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
...the bajillion picks on OL the past several years, but something about the O-line is finally working...

I'm believing more and more that this guy is the ultimate difference in the OL:

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2014-Coaches-Article/Munchak_61614_Article_1.jpg

I mean, when Gilbert is being named as an honorable mention on some people's midseason All-Pro teams (as opposed to being a human bowling ball who had a bad habit of rolling up on the legs of his own teammates), what else can you really chalk it up to?

I just hope he doesn't bail for another HC job after this season...

ALLD
11-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Ben should put in his new contract that he gets one pick in the draft.

Count Steeler
11-06-2014, 05:41 PM

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2014-Coaches-Article/Munchak_61614_Article_1.jpg

I mean, when Gilbert is being named as an honorable mention on some people's midseason All-Pro teams (as opposed to being a human bowling ball who had a bad habit of rolling up on the legs of his own teammates), what else can you really chalk it up to?

That is my concern as well. At least these guys will have had 1 year under a real O Line coach.

tube517
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM

http://www.fwworld.com/images/Competitive/HumanBowling.jpg

I'm also scared at the thought of Munchak leaving. That would suck.

polamalubeast
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM

I do not believe...It's not work for him when he was HC with the titans

He is a great OL coach, but not a good HC

Count Steeler
11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
A SB may keep him in town another year or two.

SteelerFanInStl
11-06-2014, 06:33 PM
A SB may keep him in town another year or two.

I'm gonna aim for this.

Craic
11-06-2014, 09:49 PM

My guess is that Bryant wasn't ready for the NFL. But I cannot see anyone on that team not feeling intimidated by AB and his work effort. That translates to Bryant putting in some effort. And then, when Tomlin made the call, Bryant ceased the opportunity. Think about it, he wasn't asked to do anything difficult at first. So he probably STILL wasn't ready. A game earlier, and it might have been a bit disastrous. When it comes to receivers, I think Tomlin has probably learned to be careful putting too much pressure too early on young WRs.

Lady Steel
11-07-2014, 12:45 AM

This is exactly what I think happened. Some coaches got their asses reamed out.