PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Hall of Famer in the Shadows

polamalubeast
11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
For perhaps the first time in his career, Ben Roethlisberger is strongly being considered an NFL MVP candidate following his record feat of back-to-back games with six touchdown passes. He's playing as well as he has at any point in his career and the numbers put him in the same company as Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck and Tom Brady this season.

Roethlisberger's always kept great company, but he's often been pushed aside to the shadows when it comes to the discussion of great quarterbacks despite a resume that has been building towards the Hall of Fame since his rookie season.

The perception of Roethlisberger has never matched the reality, which is that of being one of the best quarterbacks of his era. He is not the pretty pocket passer in the Brady-Manning dominated era of quarterbacks. He plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who are known for running the ball and tough defense. He's more "meathead" than "methodical." More cocky than cerebral. Too daring to be durable. He's the ugly duckling of the pack, always picked over for the flashier choices.

That's what made Sunday so fitting. On a day when the football world stopped for Brady-Manning XVI and watched the Steelers retire Joe Greene's number at halftime, Roethlisberger was the story of the week again with six more touchdown passes against rival Baltimore.

During his first five seasons (2004-08), I thought Roethlisberger was clearly the best quarterback in the NFL behind Manning and Brady. He's always played in their shadows, but no one else had that combination of efficient statistics and team success on such a consistent basis in that time. Despite getting an early lead on the two quarterbacks (Eli Manning and Philip Rivers) drafted ahead of him in that famed 2004 class, a record-setting rookie season wasn't enough to outshine Manning's MVP campaign or Brady's completion of a dynasty in New England. But Roethlisberger made a mark with his unique style of making plays under pressure in the league's most vertical offense. His volume numbers were low, branding him a dreaded game manager, but he played a high-risk, high-reward style and was very efficient at doing so, ranking third and second in DVOA his first two years.

Winning a Super Bowl in his second season did not provide the instant credibility we expect from the media today, because Super Bowl XL did not go so well for Roethlisberger. His 22.6 passer rating against Seattle is cited so often you think he never won the game. What's never mentioned is how he converted eight third downs in that game with his arm and legs, including the longest third-down conversion in Super Bowl history: a 37-yard pass to Hines Ward on third-and-28.

Super Bowl aside, Roethlisberger made his first major off-field headline that summer in 2006 with a highly publicized motorcycle accident where he was not wearing a helmet. Add an emergency appendectomy before the regular season started and a concussion midway through and Roethlisberger struggled in the worst season of his career. Some analysts soon began to flock to young quarterbacks in pass-happier offenses like Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, the emerging Tony Romo in Dallas, or Rivers, who led the Chargers to a No. 1 seed in 2006. Roethlisberger rebounded statistically in 2007 and made it through an injury-plagued 2008 behind what was likely the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl.

read more

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2014/ben-roethlisberger-hall-famer-shadows

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 01:15 PM
heck of an article a lil long but worth every moment

fansince'76
11-04-2014, 01:29 PM
For perhaps the first time in his career, Ben Roethlisberger is strongly being considered an NFL MVP candidate following his record feat of back-to-back games with six touchdown passes.

Well, no, he's really not, outside of Pittsburgh, anyway. He's just another afterthought in the Manning/Brady FellatioFest (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/147924/nfl-nation-midseason-mvp-tom-brady), as usual. Hell, he probably won't even be named to the Pro Bowl - it'll be those two, Luck and Rivers in the AFC. Guaranteed.

NCSteeler
11-04-2014, 01:38 PM
A good read

In this golden era of quarterbacks with the absurd numbers put up every week, it's Roethlisberger who will always be the first quarterback with multiple 500-yard passing games. It's Roethlisberger who will always be the first quarterback to throw six touchdowns in back-to-back games. Not Peyton. Not Rodgers. Not Brady. Not Brees. Not the flavor of the month.

polamalubeast
11-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Well, no, he's really not, outside of Pittsburgh, anyway. He's just another afterthought in the Manning/Brady FellatioFest (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/147924/nfl-nation-midseason-mvp-tom-brady), as usual. Hell, he probably won't make even be named to the Pro Bowl - it'll be those two, Luck and Rivers in the AFC.

It is now Unconferenced...So this is possible to have 5 QB in the AFC and one in the NFC

Rodgers, Ben, Brady, Luck, Peyton and Rivers are the favorites to be there right now

fansince'76
11-04-2014, 01:46 PM
It is now Unconferenced...So this is possible to have 5 QB in the AFC and one in the NFC

Rodgers, Ben, Brady, Luck, Peyton and Rivers are the favorites to be there right now

Shows you how much attention I pay to the Pro Bowl. I (mercifully) forgot that they turned it into an even bigger farce than usual last year when they had "Mr. Shuck-n-Jive" and Jerry Rice "choosing up sides." Unfortunately, it still carries a lot of weight with the HoF voters.

The larger point I'm trying to make is that the NFL is all about marketing and Roethlisberger is simply not one of the "brands" they want to push and he never has been. It's as simple as that.

Edman
11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Ben was never the brand name quarterback and never will be.

polamalubeast
11-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Shows you how much attention I pay to the Pro Bowl. I (mercifully) forgot that they turned it into an even bigger farce than usual last year when they had "Mr. Shuck-n-Jive" and Jerry Rice "choosing up sides." Unfortunately, it still carries a lot of weight with the HoF voters.

The larger point I'm trying to make is that the NFL is all about marketing and Roethlisberger is simply not one of the "brands" they want to push and he never has been. It's as simple as that.

This is sure that if Ben continues to play well like that and Brees or Wilson are before Roethlisberger for the pro bowl, I'll be upset

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Ben was never the brand name quarterback and never will be.

walmart special ....

walmart sells name brand rifles too just cheaper than the gunshop

ALLD
11-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Ben needs another 6 TD/0 INT game against the Jets to give him some credibility among other fans.

fansince'76
11-04-2014, 05:12 PM
This is sure that if Ben continues to play well like that and Brees or Wilson are before Roethlisberger for the pro bowl, I'll be upset

Unless they play absolutely horribly for a prolonged period, I honestly could see Brees AND Wilson STILL getting a Pro Bowl nod over Ben. After all, fan voting does account for a full 1/3 of Pro Bowl balloting and he's not exactly popular anywhere outside of Pittsburgh or its fan base. Sure, some of that was Ben's doing, but a good portion of it was the media's doing too, and again, the fact that he's not one of the players the NFL is constantly pimping - Brees and Wilson are.

Goodell badmouthing Roethlisberger in the week leading up to the Steelers' last Super Bowl appearance while simultaneously blowing CONVICTED FELON Michael Vick in the same breath pretty much sums things up as far as Ben's general standing in the league outside of his own team is concerned. Hell, even an ex-teammate who he helped get two Super Bowl rings and 1,000 career receptions never seems to pass up the opportunity to publicly shit on him whenever he's given the chance.

Mojouw
11-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I think Ben missed his window to be one of the "brand name guys" when he tried to eat Buick and had a shitty season after the SB. That and then whatever the hell happened in Georgia. The hype machine moved on to others while he was still a bit too toxic and yesterdays news.

I think he has deserved MVP consideration almost every year since 2008. Look at how crappy some of those lines were and limited in other weapons. Most Valuable player for me has always meant the guy who if he was removed, the team would collapse. I think we have seen that with Ben more than any other QB in his era.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Ben had the stats to be selected to the Pro Bowl last year but instead of picking him, Luck, Newton and Alex Smith were taken despite having worse numbers.

The Pro Bowl is a big f'ing joke of a popularity contest and shouldn't have ANY bearing on Hall of Fame selection.

polamalubeast
11-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Ben had the stats to be selected to the Pro Bowl last year but instead of picking him, Luck, Newton and Alex Smith were taken despite having worse numbers.

The Pro Bowl is a big f'ing joke of a popularity contest and shouldn't have ANY bearing on Hall of Fame selection.

I agree that the pro bowl is a joke

I believe that Terry Bradshaw only has 3 pro bowl too

GBMelBlount
11-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Ben finally has a top 10 offensive line.

I am expecting a lot more fireworks.

salamander
11-04-2014, 08:36 PM
The Pro Bowl is, was and always will be nothing but a popularity contest and Ben will NEVER get the full respect he deserves from anyone outside of Pittsburgh. Hell, even some Steelers fans hate Ben for whatever reason.

Lady Steel
11-04-2014, 11:25 PM

This. You nailed it. :nod:

NCSteeler
11-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I think Ben missed his window to be one of the "brand name guys" when he tried to eat Buick and had a shitty season after the SB. That and then whatever the hell happened in Georgia. The hype machine moved on to others while he was still a bit too toxic and yesterdays news.

I think he has deserved MVP consideration almost every year since 2008. Look at how crappy some of those lines were and limited in other weapons. Most Valuable player for me has always meant the guy who if he was removed, the team would collapse. I think we have seen that with Ben more than any other QB in his era.

Ben certainly deserved it in 2008. In Steelers history Bradshaw is the only one to ever get MVP, hell the Bengals have had 2 and the Browns 4. I don't expect the people outside of Pittsburgh that vote on that shit to ever give anyone on our team serious consideration. The 70s Steelers could have had an MVP 71-18

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Ben needs another 6 TD/0 INT game against the Jets to give him some credibility among other fans.

no no no, a 3rd straight 6 TD game means he's only playing well because of the rest of the team. 4 TD's or less against the Jets will just confirm to other fans that Ben just got lucky the past 2 weeks

steel striker
11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Good read and, I like the fact Ben is the only QB to ever have back to back 6 TD's. Not Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers! I know Ben will never get the credit he deserves. I would love to see him pyt up a 40+ TD's this year!

ALLD
11-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Ben finally has a top 10 offensive line.

I am expecting a lot more fireworks.

A top 10 OL does not allow sacks on three consecutive snaps. Right now they have the potential to be good, but the turnstile days still show up occasionally.