PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans will invade NY Jets home

venom
11-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Steelers fans will invade NY Jets home, could embarrass Woody Johnson as Terrible Towels play terrible team.
Twenty-one percent of the visitors to the Jets-Steelers game page on the site were from Pennsylvania — two-and-a-half times more than the average Jets home game — which gives a strong indication that Steelers fans will be coming in droves.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1998091.1415073179%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/80670228zz043-super-bowl-xl.jpg
MetLife Stadium is poised to be overrun by a fiercely loyal Steelers fan base on Sunday. Disaster looms for a wayward organization with disgruntled paying customers more likely to slash prices to sell off tickets than witness the impending carnage in person. This has the makings of an ugly moment for Johnson’s star-crossed franchise that has hit rock bottom with a 1-8 start.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-steelers-jets-shaping-terrible-towels-terrible-team-article-1.1998094

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2014, 08:24 AM
What a great response to the Fuhrer's comments about empty seats at Heinz field. Steelers fans should not gather in any other areas in the stadium, but to make sure it's clear for the TV cameras that the stadium in the nation's #1 market is filled to capacity with black and gold wearing fans. That shouldn't cause anyone any embarrassment.

steelreserve
11-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I wonder if, at the start of the game, they'll comment on how Steelers fans "travel well." That always bugs me. All the Steelers fans at road games are people who left Pittsburgh at some point in their lives and now live in the city of the home team. There are a lot of them. It's not that 20,000 people are flying around the country following the team around.

Maybe they travel to Cleveland sometimes because it's close enough to drive. And I guess Baltimore or Washington, although my hunch is that would mostly be Steelers fans from central and eastern PA who are closer to those cities anyway. I get the overall point - the team has a good following on the road - but I wish they would get the reason right.

ALLD
11-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I wonder if, at the start of the game, they'll comment on how Steelers fans "travel well." That always bugs me. All the Steelers fans at road games are people who left Pittsburgh at some point in their lives and now live in the city of the home team. There are a lot of them. It's not that 20,000 people are flying around the country following the team around.

Maybe they travel to Cleveland sometimes because it's close enough to drive. And I guess Baltimore or Washington, although my hunch is that would mostly be Steelers fans from central and eastern PA who are closer to those cities anyway. I get the overall point - the team has a good following on the road - but I wish they would get the reason right.

Never thought of it much being a transplant myself. I have seen the Steelers play in Miami and it was fun, but the dumb drunk Dolphin fans get into lots of fights. I always figured a bunch of Steelers fans followed the team around in their Winnebagos like The Grateful Dead.

tube517
11-04-2014, 04:13 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10156033_10201852463353378_4062222898735183092_n.j pg?oh=ff116ea3695d89c173d4850a6df1971b&oe=54F767ED&__gda__=1424079250_0f8402f51353b33b63f06b7aaf33974 5

salamander
11-04-2014, 05:42 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10156033_10201852463353378_4062222898735183092_n.j pg?oh=ff116ea3695d89c173d4850a6df1971b&oe=54F767ED&__gda__=1424079250_0f8402f51353b33b63f06b7aaf33974 5

Goodell's head must be ready to explode after seeing the Steelers be so explosive the last 2 weeks.

Count Steeler
11-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Goodell's head must be ready to explode after seeing the Steelers be so explosive the last 2 weeks.

Can't wait for his "I'm glad Ben understood his punishment and has really turned his life around. Please pat me on my back"

steelreserve
11-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Hey, if it gets Geno Smith into the game, I'm all for it.

Lady Steel
11-04-2014, 11:33 PM
The Steelers are HOT right now. I think a lot of fans will actually travel to Jersey because it's not all that far away by car, or Winnebago, as ALLD stated. :lol:

Dwinsgames
11-05-2014, 12:56 AM
The fireworks show should continue this week against a patchwork Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) secondary that featured undrafted former North Dakota State star Marcus Williams (http://www.nfl.com/player/marcuswilliams/2550605/profile) as the No. 1 cornerback in his first career start last week.

article mostly about Cowher on Ben but that snip it above comes from within so sharing it here in this thread ....

the rest of the story http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423017/article/cowher-ben-roethlisberger-has-never-played-better

Steelerette
11-05-2014, 01:40 AM
It's only a six hour drive from Steeler Land to the Jets Stadium. Even though steelreserve is right in general, it's not impossible that a lot of people would make the hike. Same can probably even go for Colts, Bengals, and Lions games.

Dwinsgames
11-05-2014, 02:20 AM
It's only a six hour drive from Steeler Land to the Jets Stadium. Even though steelreserve is right in general, it's not impossible that a lot of people would make the hike. Same can probably even go for Colts, Bengals, and Lions games.

steeler nation is everywhere its spread all over the country as the burgh went through its own depression ( not recession it was worse than that ) in the 80s and continued to deplete in population for nearly 20 years as people relocated to find work ...

lots of Steeler fans in NY State without infusion from Pa ... and anyone with the time and money could easily make the drive to a game where they can get seats over going downtown where they very well may not ( in the burgh ) not to mention Hershey Pa has a large Steeler faithful and is just 2 hours from East Rutherford New Jersey....

I not only expect that stadium to be rocking black n gold but will be utterly shocked if it is not

Steelerette
11-05-2014, 02:33 AM
Right, as the Steel Industry died off, instead of turning to garbage like Milwaukee and Cleveland (to Cleveland's credit, nice recovery in recent years), not only did Pittsburghers spread out across the nation and bring their Steelers love with them... but the city itself refused to die and reinvented itself, becoming a leader in medicine, research, education, technology, robotics, and even art. Truly remarkable and yep, wherever you go in the U.S. you're going to find a sizeable Steelers fanbase. Fun fact: Denver was founded by a man from Pittsburgh.

Arizona and Jacksonville games are packed with Steelers fans thanks to the retiree element :lol:

But we also travel well on top of that - anywhere within 6-ish hours drive it's not uncommon for a lot of people to make the drive. I made a weekend out of going down to Soldier Field one time myself.

Moose
11-05-2014, 05:52 AM
I have to say that Steeler fan's ARE all over the nation/universe ! No way can I estimate what percent are 'relocaters' or who are just fans of the team/organizagtion/ownership. I'm the later. I was born in Ohio, moved to Indiana ( the state ) and have been a Steeler fan since the 60's ( born in 1950) when I started playing football in grade school. I loved the player's and their kick-ass style of football ( I wear #58). There was nothing better than to watch the Black/Gold bust through the line and slam the opposing QB or WR to the ground. Growing up my room was Black/Gold decor and accessories. I got in trouble from the coach at times making hit's playing football the way I saw on Sunday's. Apparently they didn't like hard sticks on WR's at a young age ! Anyway, vacationing around the states and country my wife and I have run into Steeler fans everywhere, even found Steeler bars ! I live about 5 hrs from Pittsburgh and try to make a trip to a game every year ( we went to the Monday night game against Texans). My daughter graduated from Chatham Univ. in Pittsburgh so that was great driving back and forth almost every other month for 4 yrs. visiting her and drinking/dining at the local establishments. Actually we got to make alot of friends and still travel back to have drinks/dinner with them. So, I consider the 'burgh my second home. I'm proud of the team, organization, and family history. I know what the Steeler's represent in the football era, and the reputation and fear at times the team brings. I love it. I'm used to wearing my Steeler attire and getting verbally abused at time, but I just put it off as pure jealousy by the moron and go on ( unless I have alcohol in me then I might jack him between the eyes, LOL). So, thanks for letting me ramble on, just wanted to state how myself, wife and daughter became members of the Black/Gold family, and that we never lived in the 'burgh. Oh, and one other thing....when my daughter got married her husband wasn't into football, more interested in dirt biking, quadrunning, etc.. She's converted him into a Steeler fan, their house, family room/bar area is like a Steeler shrine now. LOL ...... that's my girl !! :)

The Bark
11-05-2014, 10:25 AM
All the Steelers fans at road games are people who left Pittsburgh at some point in their lives and now live in the city of the home team. There are a lot of them.

This is definitely NOT a true statement and I don't know why anyone would qualify it as such other than to bolster their false perspective. As someone who's traveled numerous times to see them, I can tell you planes have been 1/3 full on occasions and rest stops on the thruway for two hours outside of Buffalo heading east have been swarmed with fans making the trek from throughout the state. While there are no doubt a decent number of transplants who live in other NFL cities, I doubt they constitute any more of the attending audience than those fans who are either traveling or just happen to be fans. There will be a lot of fans in NYC this weekend - not because they're transplants, but because there's just A LOT of Steeler fans in NY.

Moose
11-05-2014, 11:41 AM
This is definitely NOT a true statement and I don't know why anyone would qualify it as such other than to bolster their false perspective. As someone who's traveled numerous times to see them, I can tell you planes have been 1/3 full on occasions and rest stops on the thruway for two hours outside of Buffalo heading east have been swarmed with fans making the trek from throughout the state. While there are no doubt a decent number of transplants who live in other NFL cities, I doubt they constitute any more of the attending audience than those fans who are either traveling or just happen to be fans. There will be a lot of fans in NYC this weekend - not because they're transplants, but because there's just A LOT of Steeler fans in NY.

Gotta agree Bark !!

86WARD
11-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Tickets are readily available, Jets fans don't want to go, it's only a couple/few hours away from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh...it will be a home crowd for the Steelers.

Count Steeler
11-05-2014, 02:09 PM

I went to the Tennessee game at Heinz 3 seasons ago. We stopped at the McDonalds just west of Buffalo and the manager looked at us and asked,
"Is there a Steelers game today?" I said yes, but the game is in Pittsburgh, not Buffalo. She was quite concerned and started mumbling, "why didn't anyone tell me?" "I have to call in some more workers" Her concern was the Steelers game in Pittsburgh, about 4 hours away. So then I thought, must be a lot of Canadians and NYers that come to Heinz. Sure enough, I saw a lot of Ontario plates in and around Heinz field.

steelreserve
11-05-2014, 02:37 PM

I shouldn't have implied it was all transplants; there are plenty of people living all over the country who are just fans of the team for whatever reason. Anyway, the point was that people who already live in the area of [insert road city] probably make up the solid majority compared to people traveling.

You probably do also have a decent number of people who will travel a long distance to a game, but I would imagine those are mostly people who don't live near Pittsburgh either, and it's a rare opportunity to see a game, and kind of a big deal.

The announcers always seem to imply that the road crowds are people from Pittsburgh who travel elsewhere to see the team; in other words, the same people who go to the home games. That's what I don't think is true at all. The Grateful Dead analogy was a good one.

venom
11-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Tickets are readily available, Jets fans don't want to go, it's only a couple/few hours away from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh...it will be a home crowd for the Steelers.
I'll be there - I wish I knew how to post pics here from my iphone of the crowd, lol

The Bark
11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
The announcers always seem to imply that the road crowds are people from Pittsburgh who travel elsewhere to see the team; in other words, the same people who go to the home games. That's what I don't think is true at all. The Grateful Dead analogy was a good one.

I've always regarded it as "Steeler fans" - not having grown up in Pittsburgh, but upstate NY, there are a lot of fans here so perhaps that's why it's never struck me as much as displaced Pittsburghers, but I know there's some truth it as well. When I lived in Las Vegas and went to the last two Steeler games in San Diego, there were a lot of people who made the trip there just from the Steeler bar I'd go to (of course, in 13 years living in LV, I'd only known perhaps 10 people who actually grew up there as well, so they all came from somewhere else, too!).

- - - Updated - - -

So then I thought, must be a lot of Canadians and NYers that come to Heinz. Sure enough, I saw a lot of Ontario plates in and around Heinz field.

Yep, I was surprised seeing numerous Ontario plates on I76 going south to Pittsburgh going to the Tampa Bay game. On the way back, we'd stop just outside of Buffalo at the last rest stop before hitting the thruway and sure enough, 9pm and there's a bunch of Steeler fans in there on their way back to wherever. The Steeler games I've gone to in Buffalo (where I went to college) always draw a ton. I'd still be seeing them at the rest stops by the time I hit Syracuse two hours east.

Count Steeler
11-05-2014, 03:41 PM
The year before I saw the Steelers in Buffalo and the Black and Gold looked Like about a 50/50 split.

Took me 2 1/2 hrs to cross the border coming home.

The Bark
11-05-2014, 04:44 PM
The year before I saw the Steelers in Buffalo and the Black and Gold looked Like about a 50/50 split.

Took me 2 1/2 hrs to cross the border coming home.

Is that the one where the Steelers kicked the FG in OT to win? I was there, behind the bench. That was four years ago, then they played a pre-season game last year (I think, or the year before) I went to.

st33lersguy
11-05-2014, 05:03 PM
This isn't news. Most loyal fanbase in the world

Godfather
11-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I went to the game against the Saints in 2002. Wanted to go to the 2010 game but it was impossible to get a ticket that time around.

Count Steeler
11-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Is that the one where the Steelers kicked the FG in OT to win? I was there, behind the bench. That was four years ago, then they played a pre-season game last year (I think, or the year before) I went to.

Yeah, that's the one. 13-0 at the half. 13-13 at the end of the game and Stevie Johnson dropped an easy touchdown from Fitzpatrick in OT.

And it was a cold day, good thing the sun came out for the 2nd half.

T&B fan
11-05-2014, 07:07 PM

That always bugs me when people think you have to be from Pittsburgh to be a fan ...

one side only
11-06-2014, 07:33 AM
http://nypost.com/2014/11/05/disgruntled-jets-fans-should-focus-on-seats-not-stunts/
Disgruntled Jets fans should focus on seats, not stunts (http://nypost.com/2014/11/05/disgruntled-jets-fans-should-focus-on-seats-not-stunts/)

SteelerFanInStl
11-06-2014, 08:00 AM
That always bugs me when people think you have to be from Pittsburgh to be a fan ...
Yep. I've been a Steelers fan for almost 40 years and I've never even been to Pittsburgh. I did live in Pittsburg, CA for a few years though. 😁

one side only
11-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I've never heard anyone say one has to be from Pittsburgh to be a Steeler fan. However, as someone who grew up there, lived all over the country (and world) serving in the military, and then returning home, there is a unique quality among those fans who live in the Pittsburgh area. A message board, combined with other internet and TV resources, cannot duplicate the experience of living in Pittsburgh, immersed in the culture, where the mood of an entire region can be determined by the outcome of a game.

Similarly, fans who grew up in Pittsburgh but moved away, also share a common bond. The Pittsburgh diaspora has been well-documented.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/11/18/2571147/Pittsburgh-diaspora-ESPN-Magazine-Steelers

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7239692/nfl-displaced-steelers-fans-found-new-home-houston

http://burghdiaspora.blogspot.com/2013/01/steelers-diaspora.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2013/12/22/why-the-cleveland-browns-and-green-bay-packers-have-more-out-of-town-fans-than-the-washington-redskins/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2008-11-26-pittsburgh-250th-anniversary_N.htm

http://wesa.fm/post/black-gold-devotion-and-steeler-fan-diaspora

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2005/10/22/Saturday-Diary-Write-about-the-Steelers-fan-diaspora-and-boy-do-you-get-letters/stories/200510220153

Many people have noted that descendents of those transplanted Steeler fans become fans as well, even if they grow up among fans another team. Part of this loyalty is due to maintaining family connections to Pittsburgh. I have found by living near other NFL cities that fans of other teams just aren't as devoted, and do not care if Steeler fans assimilate.

There is still another group of fans that never have been near Pittsburgh, but developed an affinity for the team for a wide variety of reasons. Because of TV and the internet, information about the team is widely available. I often chuckle at the "coverage" of the team from afar, especially when imbedded in stories are links to newspaper articles from the P-G and Trib, written by people who cover the team in person. I wonder why readers of these sites put as much or more credence into interpretations of first hand accounts.

Again nobody says prerequisites exist for being a fan, but fans in Pittsburgh enjoy a unique experience that can't be replicated anywhere else in the Steeler Nation.

tube517
11-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I live in a military town. There are thousands of transplanted retired and current military that live here and are from Pittsburgh (and surrounding areas). They stayed here after the military service ended. We have about 4 or 5 Steeler bars packed every Sunday. More than any other team including the fake "home" team, the Foreskins. We even have a club that has rallies on various Saturdays. Great family fun. Except on the subject of Todd Haley, then you get thousands of Snoop Doggs in our rant (gameday) thread on facebook.

T&B fan
11-06-2014, 09:42 AM
one side only

I here you .you love the city and all it combines . no problem . now don't confuses that with being a fan of the STEELERS . they are not always the same thing . and I have been to the city ,lovely place great time .
I do not think there is a unique quality to a fan because you live or have lived or your grand pappy lived in the city .
there was a thread here or maybe at the other place about how you became a steelers fan . if you ck it out many of us have a unique story .