PDA

View Full Version : Ward has milestones within his reach

Galax Steeler
08-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Hines Ward will add another notch to a belt chock full of them, throw another statistical log onto his personal pile when the Steelers play at 7 p.m. today at the New York Giants.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10233/1081638-66.stm#ixzz0xEDDhf9U

Mattsme
08-21-2010, 04:04 AM
"I don't want to play for any other team. Keep me here. If I'm still producing, let me go out there. If I'm not, I'll walk away. I won't hang on."

Great article. Even greater player.

MasterOfPuppets
08-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Add non-NFL stadiums in preseason games at Canton, Ohio, Morgantown, W.Va., and Mexico City and it swells to 39.

actually wouldn't it be 40 if you count aloha stadium (pro bowl ) ?

Galax Steeler
08-21-2010, 04:15 AM
actually wouldn't it be 40 if you count aloha stadium (pro bowl ) ?

Either way that is alot of stadiums seems like he has been around forever.

stillers4me
08-21-2010, 06:19 AM
"The Cowboys got their new stadium, I haven't played in that one. The Super Bowl is there," said the MVP of Super Bowl XL.

Make it so, Number One.

LLT
08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
"Maybe one day they'll say he was one of the greatest Steelers to ever wear the uniform and when it's all said and done and I can say I walked away and got everything I wanted."

Youre already in my top 10 Hines. I already have that feeling in my gut that I got when I watched Bettis...and realized I was looking at the last couple of years of the end of his career.

Kaeg
08-21-2010, 07:43 AM
And as Ward will be the first to tell you, he has never had the speed to lose a step.

I like that one! :wink02:

ALLD
08-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Ward is one of the three best Steeler receivers in history with Swann, Stallworth and Ward not necessarily directly comparable to each other. Each has his own style of excellence in the method for which he contributed to the team. They are 1A, 1B and 1C, no question about it.

The greatest Steeler in history was #75 Joe Greene. Ward was not given the same opportunity as the initial building block of turning a perennial loser- into the greatest team in NFL history.

solardave
08-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Youre already in my top 10 Hines. I already have that feeling in my gut that I got when I watched Bettis...and realized I was looking at the last couple of years of the end of his career.

Of course we are all biased because of not only the player but the fans player,the man about town figure he is. There may be more talented receivers hands wise ( can't think of any right now) but no better blocker,tough guy exists IMHO!!!

TroysBarber
08-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Top 10 Steelers of all time? That's a pretty tall order even for Hines. I can't compare him to the players from prior to '72, but even making the top 10 since '72 would be pretty hard.

Bradshaw
Webster
Swann
Stalworth
Franco
Mean Joe
Lambert
Ham
Blount
Woodson
Dawson
LC Greenwood
Shell
The Bus
Big Ben
Troy
Lloyd

He'd have to knock 8 off that list to make the top 10. An argument could be made putting him ahead of Swann, LC, Franco, and Jerome, but which other 4 could you realistically call inferior to Ward? Calling him one of the top 10 Steelers of all time is a stretch.This isn't to belittle Hines, but attests to the many other true greats that we've seen in the black & gold. Hines is a great player, but not top 10 of all time, IMO

ricardisimo
08-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Ward is one of the three best Steeler receivers in history with Swann, Stallworth and Ward not necessarily directly comparable to each other. Each has his own style of excellence in the method for which he contributed to the team. They are 1A, 1B and 1C, no question about it.

The greatest Steeler in history was #75 Joe Greene. Ward was not given the same opportunity as the initial building block of turning a perennial loser- into the greatest team in NFL history.

Would Louis Lipps be 1D, or would he be number 2? Even though Lipps was on some pretty bad Steeler teams (or maybe because of it) I still get warm feelings looking at tape of him. Very good memories. He and Ward are both on my Top 10.

O'Malley
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Of course we are all biased because of not only the player but the fans player,the man about town figure he is. There may be more talented receivers hands wise ( can't think of any right now) but no better blocker,tough guy exists IMHO!!!

He does have a talent for decleating people. I enjoy it every time he flat backs somebody. The Ed Reid hit comes to mind what a hit that was.

BigNastyDefense
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Hines Ward is a top ten offensive player. He owns all the receiving records in Steelers history, and he did it with some of the worst quarterbacks in the league throwing to him. Not to mention he's more physical and a bigger hitter than some linebackers and a lot of safeties in the NFL.

ALLD
08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Would Louis Lipps be 1D, or would he be number 2? Even though Lipps was on some pretty bad Steeler teams (or maybe because of it) I still get warm feelings looking at tape of him. Very good memories. He and Ward are both on my Top 10.

Louis Lipps is not even in the same stadium as the three mentioned above. *Also see Yancy Thigpen.

steelerdude15
08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow that's really cool.

Galax Steeler
08-22-2010, 07:57 AM

We don't want to look at it that way but it is reality.

steeldevil
08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
After he wins his 3rd Super Bowl you would about have to put him in the top 10 or 12 all time Steelers... :nod: :tt03:

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
"I don't want to play for any other team. Keep me here. If I'm still producing, let me go out there. If I'm not, I'll walk away. I won't hang on."

What. A. Man...

Godfather
08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Louis Lipps is not even in the same stadium as the three mentioned above. *Also see Yancy Thigpen.

Yeah, but I'd call Lipps the best of the rest.

I'd put Mel Blount at the top of the all-time Steelers list. The NFL changed its rules to contain him.

stillers4me
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
We don't want to look at it that way but it is reality.

I just can't imagine this team without him.

GoSlash27
08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I'd put Hines somewhere in the top 10, but I'm biased. I've been on his bandwagon since his first training camp and have been wearing his number to every Steeler game since 1998 (back when nobody knew who he was).
I kinda feel like I discovered him :D
/next game I attend I'll be sportin' 33.

SMR
08-22-2010, 08:05 PM

What. A. Man...

That quote of Hines almost made my eyes well up.....ahem.