PDA

View Full Version : Harrison

Steeldude
11-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Harrison was said to be too old and useless. He was deemed useless by many because he didn't put up stats in Cincinnati. The reason for that was due to limited snaps and playing in a 4-3. Did the naysayers listen? No. Did they listen when they were informed of how Harrison brings a physical identity to the Steelers? No. Well thankfully the Steelers FO didn't agree with the naysayers. However, it's not like the FO is without doubt. It took injuries to the LBing corps to get them to bring Harrison on board.

The negative part of this story is how an old, war-torn veteran like Harrison is better than any other OLB on the team. Could you imagine what the defense would have been like without Harrison coming back? Worilds has been slow to start. Jones is injured and doesn't look to be anything special...so far.

Harrison isn't going to be 2008 Harrison. I don't think anyone expects him to be that man again. His job was to come in for depth, but it was quickly seen that he needs more snaps. Most of us can see that Harrison is the big brother on this defense.

Here is hoping Harrison gets better each week.

Dwinsgames
11-03-2014, 12:38 AM
hard to improve on what he has brought the past 2 weeks .... just keep it up and he ends up with close to 20 sacks in less than a full season

steel9guy
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
I said since we released him that it was a major mistake. The guy isn't as old as his age. He sat for years. He's got the best work ethic on the team and we need to resign him till he runs out of gas.

smokin3000gt
11-03-2014, 12:48 AM
WTG James! I'm happy for the dude and love what he brings to the team!

X-Terminator
11-03-2014, 12:53 AM
Harrison has brought the "nasty" back to the defense, and it's filtered down to the rest of the team. It's been great to see. Obviously he still has a few miles left on those old tires.

Steeldude
11-03-2014, 01:02 AM
I said since we released him that it was a major mistake. The guy isn't as old as his age. He sat for years. He's got the best work ethic on the team and we need to resign him till he runs out of gas.

Harrison said this is his last year. To play another year the Steelers might have to pay a little more guaranteed money. I guess it depends on the cap. Worilds and Polamalu may be gone, but Roethlisberger needs an extension.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 05:25 AM
I didn't think Harrison would perform to this level. Hope he finishes the year strong. He is a beast.

86WARD
11-03-2014, 05:34 AM
His attitude and what he has brought to the team that way is exactly what I expected and what this team needed. It lacked vocal leadership. However, what he's doing on the field is far above what I was expecting there.

Steelerette
11-03-2014, 05:36 AM
Not anticipating this happening but if we win the Super Bowl, I think Keisel, Harrison, and Polamalu retire together on top. Maybe Ike joins them. Maybe Greg Warren goes too though, it's not like a long snapper's body gets beat up. He probably has some years left but... it would be tempting to go out on top, and I hate using a roster spot on an exclusive LS.

venom
11-03-2014, 05:47 AM
Lets see how long he can keep it up - he was sick last night !!!

Moose
11-03-2014, 06:47 AM
If he was 'sick' last night, then I hope whatever he has he spreads to the rest of the defense !

GBMelBlount
11-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Harrison has brought the "nasty" back to the defense, and it's filtered down to the rest of the team. It's been great to see. Obviously he still has a few miles left on those old tires.

This!!!!!!

We have needed a catalyst and it looks like Harrison is the man on defense.

Great game James!

katmandu
11-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Love James! He definately brought back that NASTY attitude that's been sorely missing from this year's team!

Also, what's been said about Harrison above applies to KEISEL as well ! They BOTH are monsters for OLD men !

katmandu
11-03-2014, 07:39 AM
I said since we released him that it was a major mistake. The guy isn't as old as his age. He sat for years. He's got the best work ethic on the team and we need to resign him till he runs out of gas.Even though James is performing at a very high level right now, don't count on him Re-Upping after this season. I know....... It breaks my heart too!

Here's what he said last night in the locker room interviews....

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/10284/steelers-linebacker-james-harrison-turns-back-the-clock-twice-in-one-day

"I can't see another year," Harrison said. "The way my body feels after games, coming in Monday and working out, it's getting too hard. The workouts are harder than the games."

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the whole article off ESPN (link above).

http://espn.go.com/i/print/print.gif (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/print?id=10284&imagesPrint=off#)
ESPN.com: Pittsburgh Steelers
[Print without images (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/print?id=10284&imagesPrint=off)]http://espn.go.com/i/print/espn.gif

Monday, November 3, 2014
James Harrison turns back clock twice in one day
By Scott Brown

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) linebacker James Harrison's birth certificate says he is 36 years old.

When reminded of that after Harrison played as though he were about 10 years younger in a 43-23 win Sunday night over the Baltimore Ravens (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens), Cameron Heyward turned to the locker next to his at Heinz Field.

"Dang, you're old!" Heyward said.

But the fourth-year defensive end then added, "He's having fun out there."

Well, yes and no.

Harrison looked like he was having a blast while leading a defense that continually teed off on Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco.

Harrison recorded two of the Steelers' four sacks and four of their 10 quarterback hits, leading a defense that kept Pittsburgh in the game until quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his receivers started to have their way with the Ravens' depleted (and overmatched) secondary.

He earned a game ball for his efforts, and Harrison's performance was particularly apropos on a night in which the Steelers celebrated Joe Greene's career.

Harrison is on a short list of post-Steel Curtain players whose dominance and demeanor would have made them a good fit on the Greene-led defenses in the 1970s.

But after making sure the defense turned in the kind of performance that would honor Greene, Harrison had more of a grimace than a grin as he answered questions from the reporters who formed a semi-circle around him.

Perhaps Harrison, who was retired before re-signing with the Steelers six weeks ago, was already thinking about how much his body would hurt the next morning.

Or what a grind it will be for the five-time Pro Bowler to get ready for the Steelers' Week 10 game against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium.

"I'm not going to lie and say I missed football. To be honest with you, I didn't miss football," said Harrison, who does not watch the sport at all for pleasure. "I was comfortable where I was at, being retired. I felt like I had an obligation to come back if my kids wanted me to. They were OK with it, and I came back because I didn't want to let the [Steelers] down and I felt like them guys are like my brothers -- [Brett] Keisel, Troy [Polamalu], Ike [Taylor]. Kind of hard to say no to them."

Harrison has four sacks in his past two games and now leads the Steelers in the category. He is looking a lot more like the player who dominated for five seasons in Pittsburgh than the one who looked out of place last season in Cincinnati.

And Harrison is still not where he needs to be from a physical standpoint, as the 12th-year veteran is in the process of dropping weight so he can move better on the field.

Not that coach Mike Tomlin is surprised by what Harrison already has given the Steelers since they coaxed him out of retirement Sept. 23.

"He is not a regular guy. He is James Harrison," Tomlin said after the Steelers won their third consecutive game and improved to 6-3. "He is getting up to speed and getting into shape and doing James Harrison-like things, which quite frankly is what we expect."

Some fans are so excited about how Harrison turned back the clock twice in one day -- daylight savings time ended early Sunday morning -- that they are already pleading on social media for him to play one more season after this one.

"I can't see another year," Harrison said. "The way my body feels after games, coming in Monday and working out, it's getting too hard. The workouts are harder than the games."

Yep, enjoy him now.

Harrison's second act, as good as it has been, will also be his final one.

Shoes
11-03-2014, 07:42 AM
It was funny seeing him and Steve Smith out there talking and laughing on the field. I would have loved to hear the conversation. Great game by James, I hope it sparks something in the young guys.

katmandu
11-03-2014, 07:49 AM
It was funny seeing him and Steve Smith out there talking and laughing on the field. I would have loved to hear the conversation. Great game by James, I hope it sparks something in the young guys.That would be a great conversation to over hear!

I wish the TV Networks would show more of the AFTER game "congrats". Very interesting to see how player's interact AFTER the game. I would have LOVED to see a camera following "THUGS" (Suggs) back to the locker room. If I was at the game, I would do my damndest to go throw a beer on that azzzhole!

Wait....... No...... Not my BEER! That wouldn't be worth it! LMAO!

NCSteeler
11-03-2014, 08:00 AM
So the age OLD question, after watching that performance, Where are replacements for Keisel and Harrison? The FO has no answers.

zulater
11-03-2014, 08:41 AM
So the age OLD question, after watching that performance, Where are replacements for Keisel and Harrison? The FO has no answers.

Don't know who is in the pipeline to replace James? I think Jarvis was showing some signs of coming around a little bit. But itfar from a given he'll be an impactful player next season. For Keisel I think it's more clear. I'm really liking what we're seeing from Tuitt. I think he could be a special player next season. I think he'll even be a key player down the stretch this year.

tube517
11-03-2014, 09:40 AM
“He is James Harrison,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “He is not a regular guy.”

st33lersguy
11-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Looks like 2008 James Harrison out there

steel striker
11-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Great game by James and, let's hope there is more to come.

Steelman
11-03-2014, 10:55 AM
James single-handedly turned this game. What a beast even at his old age. If this is the only game he does this for the whole rest of the season, it would've been worth it.

ALLD
11-03-2014, 02:16 PM

You don't replace a James Harrison, ever. As for Keisel, you never heard his name much around Casey Hampton and Aarron Smith and James Farrior, but given an opportunity last year and this, he turned into an All Pro. Another one that will be difficult to replace because everybody listed here has the intangible of playing with "heart" which cannot be coached. You must be born with it.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 02:24 PM
I think Tuitt will replace Keisel. The kid is special. Harrison is going to be a lot tougher.

Shoes
11-03-2014, 02:32 PM
I think Tuitt will replace Keisel. The kid is special. Harrison is going to be a lot tougher.

I agree, Tuitt was right with James on a few of those sacks, James changed the game last night and I don't see anyone filling his shoes at this time.

Steelermania
11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
You don't get guys like him very often. In the post 70's era, only Troy, and Woodson can be mentioned in the same breath with Harrison. Guys like Porter, Kevin Greene, Aaron Smith, Greg Lloyd, James Farrior, and Carnel Lake are at the next level, with players like Timmons, Keisel, and Ike Taylor a level below that.

Dwinsgames
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
different conversation or style of player obviously but as a passing thought I find it interesting how often Jason Gildon is a forgotten man ( not that he belongs here but he should be in the conversation (

I mean he is the all time leading sack leader for the Steelers ( maybe not for long ) but as of today he is

Lady Steel
11-03-2014, 03:12 PM
To think James almost didn't come back to play for the Steelers this year because of money even though he was very much needed. Thanks to Troy for asking him, "Since when have you needed the money?"

I'm going to enjoy every single minute of Harrison, Keisel and Polamalu while I can.

Steeldude
11-03-2014, 05:16 PM

I think Tuitt can replace Kiesel. As for Harrison, I don't see anyone on the roster who can replace what he does and brings. I will still hope for J. Jones to be that star, but so far it looks like he will be nothing more than average.

SteelerFanInStl
11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I think Tuitt can replace Kiesel. As for Harrison, I don't see anyone on the roster who can replace what he does and brings. I will still hope for J. Jones to be that star, but so far it looks like he will be nothing more than average.

I agree with your first 2 sentences. We don't have anyone currently on the roster who can do the things that James can.

I'm still holding out hope that Jones can be good (he had 2 sacks in 2 games this year) but he'll never be the difference maker that James is. Maybe Shazier can bring some of that if he can stay healthy.

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 09:27 AM
http://instagram.com/p/u-5enQJFrs/

Iron Steeler
11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Jones is injured and doesn't look to be anything special...so far. .

i actually felt like he was gonna have a good year this year. Any word on when he will be back he would be a good burst of depth and speed in the late season games

NCSteeler
11-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Don't know who is in the pipeline to replace James? I think Jarvis was showing some signs of coming around a little bit. But itfar from a given he'll be an impactful player next season. For Keisel I think it's more clear. I'm really liking what we're seeing from Tuitt. I think he could be a special player next season. I think he'll even be a key player down the stretch this year.

Definitely still out on Jones. When he has played I just don't see that game changing play. I think he will be a solid player but I don't know if he'll take the next step. I don't see anyone that stands out with that fire, the intensity of Porter, Harrison, Greene. I like what Tuitt has done so far, but it's way early.

Drazo85
11-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Wow. He is doing this at 36??? Unbelievable. I mean, i knew he was strong, but nevertheless he continues to amaze me.

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Wow. He is doing this at 36??? Unbelievable. I mean, i knew he was strong, but nevertheless he continues to amaze me.

Yea and remember that man on his back is 304 pounds ... thats asking for multiple slipped / herniated discs for a semi normal person ..not James

Count Steeler
11-04-2014, 03:38 PM
What a beast.

Steeldude
11-04-2014, 07:33 PM
What a beast.

Now lets see McCullers enjoy the ride : )

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Now lets see McCullers enjoy the ride : )

omg could you imagine ... then again McCullers is just 40 pounds more ( a lot of weight for a normal guy , but when talking 300+ 40 pounds not that much

Steeldude
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
omg could you imagine ... then again McCullers is just 40 pounds more ( a lot of weight for a normal guy , but when talking 300+ 40 pounds not that much

Speaking of weight...did you see they have Harrison listed at 275lb? Perhaps he was re-weighed and updated since coming out of retirement. If accurate then he is 260 now. He said he lost 15lbs. 245-250lbs is a good weight for Harrison. I can see that he is still a little sluggish

katmandu
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Maybe Shazier can bring some of that if he can stay healthy.No! Shazier is...."INJURY PRONE" ! Get rid of him ! :ROLLEYES: I HATE the cliche "Injury prone"

Hawkman
11-04-2014, 08:52 PM
NICE music in the background!:toofunny:

Steeldude
11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
No! Shazier is...."INJURY PRONE" ! Get rid of him ! :ROLLEYES: I HATE the cliche "Injury prone"

Shazier is accident prone. So far Thomas is injury prone.

Lady Steel
11-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Harrison is a beast, for sure, but when he does this stuff it makes me very nervous he will hurt himself. I dunno, I just look at it like it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. No bueno! :lol:

Dwinsgames
11-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Speaking of weight...did you see they have Harrison listed at 275lb? Perhaps he was re-weighed and updated since coming out of retirement. If accurate then he is 260 now. He said he lost 15lbs. 245-250lbs is a good weight for Harrison. I can see that he is still a little sluggish

if he is at 260 ( and he very well may be ) just think how much quicker he will get over the next 2-4 weeks as he drops some more weight and gets in better game shape ...

he is just now getting close to game shape , considering he had no training camp , no preseason etc

Steeldude
11-04-2014, 11:49 PM
if he is at 260 ( and he very well may be ) just think how much quicker he will get over the next 2-4 weeks as he drops some more weight and gets in better game shape ...

he is just now getting close to game shape , considering he had no training camp , no preseason etc

Exactly. I don't expect him to be 30 again, but he certainly isn't useless like the naysayers claimed. He is actually doing better than I thought he would do. Well, at least in the Ravens game he did more than I expected.

Hopefully they don't wear him out. I think he should start when Jones comes back. Use Jones to keep him fresh. If they mount a huge lead on the Jets I hope they sit Harrison.

Dwinsgames
11-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Exactly. I don't expect him to be 30 again, but he certainly isn't useless like the naysayers claimed. He is actually doing better than I thought he would do. Well, at least in the Ravens game he did more than I expected.

Hopefully they don't wear him out. I think he should start when Jones comes back. Use Jones to keep him fresh. If they mount a huge lead on the Jets I hope they sit Harrison.

this