PDA

View Full Version : Madden: Brown, Roethlisberger have different egos when it comes to records

polamalubeast
10-31-2014, 04:58 PM
This past Sunday, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was 33 yards away from a significant NFL record: Most yards passing, one game. Set by Norm Van Brocklin, sans face mask, in 1951.

The Steelers ran the ball on their last six offensive snaps. No throws. Pittsburgh 51, Indianapolis 34. Van Brocklin’s record survives.
“I honestly had no clue,” Roethlisberger said on my radio show yesterday. “I had people ask me, ‘Do you know how close you were?’ You know you’re having a good day. But I had no idea how many yards I had.”
Compare that to what happened Oct. 5

The Steelers led Jacksonville, 17-9. A one-score game. The Steelers had the ball on the Jacksonville 33. Two minutes left. The Jaguars had no time outs.

The Steelers put the result at risk, albeit minimally, by throwing a 16-yard pass to receiver Antonio Brown. Why? So Brown could lengthen his streak of games with five catches (or more) that total 50 yards (or more). It currently stands at 24 games.
It’s an NFL record, except it’s not. It’s not in the NFL record book.

But it’s important to Brown. That’s why the Steelers threw an unnecessary and ill-advised pass at an inappropriate time: to stroke Brown’s ego. The Steelers can’t afford to have Brown get the boo-boo face. He’s a juggernaut right now, arguably the NFL’s best receiver.

Brown asked for the pass. Coach Mike Tomlin and Roethlisberger acquiesced. Roethlisberger made no such request when he was unwittingly chasing Van Brocklin. The win was locked up. That was enough for the quarterback.

A tale of two egos.

read more

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/madden-brown-roethlisberger-have-different-egos-when-it-comes-to/article_462243e1-3689-5337-a948-02458c85bd12.html

Butch
10-31-2014, 06:28 PM
It was my understanding that Ben made the decision to throw to Brown to keep his streak alive.

st33lersguy
10-31-2014, 06:40 PM
I remember yelling at the TV when they didn't kneel against J-ville

zulater
10-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Madden loves Ben. But hates every other Steeler. Kinda weird. Anyway I don't know or care what Brown asked for. Tomlin could have turned the play down. And besides it worked. So who cares? A receiver with an ego? Wow this is breaking news! :sarcasm:

Hawkman
10-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Madden loves Ben. But hates every other Steeler. Kinda weird. Anyway I don't know or care what Brown asked for. Tomlin could have turned the play down. And besides it worked. So who cares? A receiver with an ego? Wow this is breaking news! :sarcasm:

Totally agree Zu. Ben made the call....it worked....no issue!

Devilsdancefloor
10-31-2014, 08:52 PM
how many people knew how close ben was to the record? id say not many if any on the side lines, plus AB quite honestly deserves to keep the streak alive it looks great for him and the steelers

Mojouw
11-01-2014, 02:25 PM
With all the fascinating and interesting things that a sports reporter could talk about, this dude keeps up a steady stream of armchair psychology drivel.

No wonder no one gets the paper anymore and people think bleacher report is a good thing.

HollywoodSteel
11-01-2014, 03:08 PM
If this is Madden's actual opinion then he is a fucking idiot. Antonio Brown is arguably the hardest working, most team oriented player in the NFL. Every team in the league should wish for 53 Antonio Browns , as far as work ethic and sacrifice goes. To try and label AB as some kind of a diva with an ego to stroke is so ridiculously stupid that it calls into question everything else Madden has ever said about anything.

We are all now dumber for having heard this.