PDA

View Full Version : The Fall Of Cortez Allen Continues

86WARD
10-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Cortez Allen was benched once.

Now, it appears that the $26 million man is being benched again – this time for real.

Allen went from an owner of a new multi-million dollar contract the day before the start of the season to being pushed out of his starting position by Brice McCain and now to the bench by Antwon Blake.

Let that sink in for a minute – Cortez Allen lost his starting job to Brice McCain and now forced to the bench by Antwon Blake.

It hasn’t been a particularly good couple months for what the Steelers thought was their shutdown cornerback of the future.

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/10/29/kaboly-the-fall-of-cortez-allen-continues/#ixzz3Haos6kSw

Hawkman
10-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks 86WARD for making this happen........."WHY DON'T WE HAVE JUST ONE ALLEN "SUCKS" THREAD, so that every other thread avoids becoming one. DAMN!"

Steeldude
10-30-2014, 12:28 AM
They panicked. They are handing out contracts for mediocrity, I guess...lol. Who in the FO thought this contract was somehow a good idea? A CB who hasn't shown much of anything is given a $26,000,000 contract?

I wonder if they will give Adams the next big contract?

Buckinnuts
10-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Once ike gets back..Allen will have a good game because they will all the qb's will be picking on taylor...yeah a pair of useless corners.

86WARD
10-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks 86WARD for making this happen........."WHY DON'T WE HAVE JUST ONE ALLEN "SUCKS" THREAD, so that every other thread avoids becoming one. DAMN!"

Lol.

steelreserve
10-30-2014, 12:38 PM
They panicked. They are handing out contracts for mediocrity, I guess...lol. Who in the FO thought this contract was somehow a good idea? A CB who hasn't shown much of anything is given a $26,000,000 contract?

I can't blame them for trying ... Allen LOOKED like he was starting to put it together, but the expiration of his contract was bad timing; we were forced to make a decision before we were sure, so we gambled and lost. Same thing with Worilds, although we were smart enough to limit our losses there.

One thing that's for sure: I doubt we would've given Allen that contract if we had ANY depth at the position whatsoever, or ANY plan to replace Taylor long-term, so in that sense you're definitely right about panicking.

venom
10-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Better save some money for Ben's new contract

Count Steeler
10-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I think the contract was structured so that an early termination favored the Steelers?

tube517
10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
I think the contract was structured so that an early termination favored the Steelers?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cortez-allen/

Not sure if this is an accurate website

Buckinnuts
10-30-2014, 01:28 PM

why not they gave ole fat boy Gilbert a big contract who gets hurt a ot and lets Ben get hit alot..WHY NOT?

ALLD
10-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Just like Jake Delhomme where they threw money at him and hoped he lived up to the contract amount.

st33lersguy
10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Hopefully he really gets benched this time, not get "benched" but still play a bunch of snaps

Lady Steel
10-30-2014, 04:01 PM
If Cortez wants to play, he's gonna have to step it up, that's all there is to it.

steelreserve
10-30-2014, 04:07 PM

It works a lot better if they cut him after next year than this year, or made him a June 1 release. If we were to make him a June 1 cut, I think the numbers are that we'd eat $1.4M in dead money next year (a $2.5M savings over keeping him) and $4M in 2016 (a $1.5M savings). If we cut him before then, there would be more dead money in 2015 than we would save by not paying him his base salary.

That spotrac.com site is OK, but one thing it doesn't account for is June 1/after June 1 cuts, just a flat amount of dead money. For example, looking at it for the Ray Rice case, it would appear the Ravens would have to eat an extra $6M cap hit this year, but it was actually more like they saved $3M and have to eat $10M in dead money next year.

Steeldude
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm hoping he responds and works hard to live up to his contract. The Steelers need a promising CB.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm hoping he responds and works hard to live up to his contract. The Steelers need a promising CB.

Me too. I've read so many good things about the guy and his work ethic that I still have hope. He just doesn't have "bust" like character. I know that there's more to playing corning than work ethic, but it is a position where you can improve drastically with enough practice, dedication, and mental toughness.

Mojouw
10-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Me too. I've read so many good things about the guy and his work ethic that I still have hope. He just doesn't have "bust" like character. I know that there's more to playing corning than work ethic, but it is a position where you can improve drastically with enough practice, dedication, and mental toughness.

Dude went to the Citadel, so he is no stranger to hard-work and discipline. His problem is solely between his ears. Watching him the last 2 weeks I see a player whose athletic ability is putting him in good positions, but whose brain is overthinking things. He needs to relax and just let his instincts take over. Either that or he has a ton of athletic ability and no mental ability for the NFL game.

86WARD
10-30-2014, 09:54 PM
He's not playing smart mentally and he's playing scared and with little confidence. If he can get the mental part of the game down, ie) stop looking for the ball every time, he may improve. I think he needs to sit down and watch the game mentally.

Texasteel
10-31-2014, 08:26 AM
His new contract may be giving him problems. It's possible that his just trying to hard, and I can tell you from experience that this is not always a good thing. I hope he can settle down and just play the game. He has ability, he may just be trying to think to much.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 12:31 PM
I think you have to give him another try now that the front 7 is doing it's job so much better. Earlier in the season, he was a sitting duck out there because we couldn't get any pressure on the opposing QB. I would use the Jets game to see where his head is at, but keep up the pressure on the QB.

one side only
11-03-2014, 12:47 PM
The way McCain & Blake played I doubt they would want to take a chance on Allen. However, the Steelers are pretty thin at Safety at the moment. If Troy, Shamarko and Ross Ventrone can't go vs the Jets, Cortez might be needed to back up Mitchell, Will Allen and / or Robert Golden.

ALLD
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
The equipment manager should spray the seat of his uniform pants with super glue just before the game.

steelreserve
11-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I think you have to give him another try now that the front 7 is doing it's job so much better. Earlier in the season, he was a sitting duck out there because we couldn't get any pressure on the opposing QB. I would use the Jets game to see where his head is at, but keep up the pressure on the QB.

nonononononononononononono

The defense is working right now, please do not fuck with it. It's only been a week since Allen got his ass handed to him in the Colts game, and the pass rush was working plenty well then.

The offense has really picked up its game too - does that mean we should give Justin Brown another look?

Edman
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM

That would make sense...

Until you see the Indianapolis game where the Steelers were putting all kinds of pressure on Andrew Luck, but were still getting burnt deep because all Luck had to do was look at whomever Allen was covering and throw to him and it was a first down or a TD. QB's have been feasting all over Allen all season.

That's just how bad Cortez Allen is. Leave him on the Bench and give him sparing playing time.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 02:04 PM
nonononononononononononono

The defense is working right now, please do not fuck with it. It's only been a week since Allen got his ass handed to him in the Colts game, and the pass rush was working plenty well then.

The offense has really picked up its game too - does that mean we should give Justin Brown another look?

LOL.

Point being, Allen has shown flashes of brilliance in the past. He is a bigger corner than McCain and Blake. They put faith in Cortez for a nice contract extension, so you have to try and get him back to his best game. Sitting for 1 game may or may not be enough. I figure he may get a big confidence boost (which is what he needs) against the Jets or the Titans.

I haven't completely given up on him yet.

Look at Gilbert. I disagreed with him starting yesterday, but he settled down after getting smacked around with those 3 straight sacks. I still think our run game would have performed better with Adams in there, but I am willing to let Gilbert continue to develop.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make sense...

Until you see the Indianapolis game where the Steelers were putting all kinds of pressure on Andrew Luck, but were still getting burnt deep because all Luck had to do was look at whomever Allen was covering and throw to him and it was a first down or a TD. QB's have been feasting all over Allen all season.

That's just how bad Cortez Allen is. Leave him on the Bench and give him sparing playing time.

I don't think Cortez is bad. He is going through something right now and I would hate to throw away a player just because of a slump. Don't forget, he has been special at times as well.

st33lersguy
11-03-2014, 02:07 PM
LOL.

Point being, Allen has shown flashes of brilliance in the past. He is a bigger corner than McCain and Blake. They put faith in Cortez for a nice contract extension, so you have to try and get him back to his best game. Sitting for 1 game may or may not be enough. I figure he may get a big confidence boost (which is what he needs) against the Jets or the Titans.

Look at Gilbert. I disagreed with him starting yesterday, but he settled down after getting smacked around with those 3 straight sacks. I still think our run game would have performed better with Adams in there, but I am willing to let Gilbert continue to develop.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Cortez is bad. He is going through something right now and I would hate to throw away a player just because of a slump. Don't forget, he has been special at times as well.

No way. McCain and Blake are both playing better. There is no logical reason to revert back to Allen

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
No way. McCain and Blake are both playing better. There is no logical reason to revert back to Allen

So I guess he will be starting against the Jets.

Psycho Ward 86
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM
The way McCain & Blake played I doubt they would want to take a chance on Allen. However, the Steelers are pretty thin at Safety at the moment. If Troy, Shamarko and Ross Ventrone can't go vs the Jets, Cortez might be needed to back up Mitchell, Will Allen and / or Robert Golden.

why wouldnt shamarko be able to go?

also anyone know why the fuck will allen was out there instead of shamarko when troy went down

steelreserve
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
LOL.

OK, but to turn that one around ... isn't giving Blake playing time also giving a young player a chance to develop? He's the one who's playing better right now; there is no reason to go back to Allen except his contract. That's not to say we should give up on Allen forever, but if he wants significant playing time, it'd better be because he earned it, or because Blake/McCain aren't getting the job done anymore. I've got similar feelings about Adams ... between him and Gilbert, nothing should matter except who's playing better. They're both young guys who could develop further.

A few weeks ago, the "let our young players develop" argument would've carried more weight - but we have turned it around and are now in a playoff race. Getting your best guys on the field is the most important thing. I for one was disappointed that we didn't give Adams another week to see if he was turning the corner or it was just a fluke. And I'll also be disappointed if Harrison keeps playing like this and goes back to the bench when Jones comes back.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
why wouldnt shamarko be able to go?

also anyone know why the fuck will allen was out there instead of shamarko when troy went down

Sharmarko pulled his other hammy. I think it was during the Jacoby TD.

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 02:21 PM
OK, but to turn that one around ... isn't giving Blake playing time also giving a young player a chance to develop? He's the one who's playing better right now; there is no reason to go back to Allen except his contract. That's not to say we should give up on Allen forever, but if he wants significant playing time, it'd better be because he earned it, or because Blake/McCain aren't getting the job done anymore. I've got similar feelings about Adams ... between him and Gilbert, nothing should matter except who's playing better. They're both young guys who could develop further.

A few weeks ago, the "let our young players develop" argument would've carried more weight - but we have turned it around and are now in a playoff race. Getting your best guys on the field is the most important thing. I for one was disappointed that we didn't give Adams another week to see if he was turning the corner or it was just a fluke. And I'll also be disappointed if Harrison keeps playing like this and goes back to the bench when Jones comes back.

The one problem I have with Blake and McCain is size. They just can't contend with the bigger wide outs. Unless the QB has no time to throw.

Maybe Gilbert would play well at LG? Foster was found wanting on a few plays last night as well. If Adams has his head right, I think he is a monster at RT, especially in the run game.

Sure is nice to have these discussions being at 6-3 instead of 3-6.

steelreserve
11-03-2014, 02:41 PM
The one problem I have with Blake and McCain is size. They just can't contend with the bigger wide outs. Unless the QB has no time to throw.

Maybe Gilbert would play well at LG? Foster was found wanting on a few plays last night as well. If Adams has his head right, I think he is a monster at RT, especially in the run game.

I don't know about that; size is not everything. I think people saw Seattle win the Super Bowl with a lineup of DBs that all happened to be tall, and suddenly placed a huge emphasis on it, but the fact is there are good players of all shapes and sizes. If you ask me, reactions, timing, and being able to win the mental game are all far more important to a CB than height or even speed.

Or to say it another way, if the guy you're covering is consistently beating you by two or three steps, it doesn't matter if you're tall. Or if you're unaware of where the ball is, you could be the most physically gifted guy on the team and it wouldn't help. It's tempting to think of Allen as the guy with the higher ceiling, but right now it's just not worth the risk.

The Gilbert-at-LG idea is intriguing; for that matter, so is Adams at that spot. I don't know if either of them have any experience playing it, but Foster is definitely the weak link right now.

lol, you sure got that right.

st33lersguy
11-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Allen can't contend with any wideout. Measurables isn't everything

Count Steeler
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
So was Ben off base asking for a 6 4ish receiver? Size certainly matters.

pepsyman1
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Limas Sweed was 6'4". Lol

ALLD
11-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Limas Sweed choked on all the attention which caused him to avoid catching the ball. He could have been an NFL superstar instead of the guy that delivers stuff for Amazon.

86WARD
11-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Sweed's block against the Ravens was one of the great hits versus Baltimore...lol

steelreserve
11-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Limas Sweed was 6'4". Lol

Funny thing, I haven't seen Bryant make any catches where being 6'4" mattered. He's generally been as much of a badass as a receiver can be in his first three games. But I haven't seen him have to outjump anyone, or make a fingertip catch over his head. Maybe having a tall WR is a confidence thing for the QB throwing at him? I don't know, as long as it works, keep doing it.

tube517
11-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Funny thing, I haven't seen Bryant make any catches where being 6'4" mattered. He's generally been as much of a badass as a receiver can be in his first three games. But I haven't seen him have to outjump anyone, or make a fingertip catch over his head. Maybe having a tall WR is a confidence thing for the QB throwing at him? I don't know, as long as it works, keep doing it.

:nono: He's not paid to do that. :chuckle:

Lady Steel
11-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Size certainly matters.

That's what she said.

C'mon, you didn't really think someone wasn't going to catch that, right? :lol:

one side only
11-05-2014, 09:30 AM
With only three healthy safeties, I wonder if Cortez Allen will be called upon to fill in at safety in case of injury. Mike Mitchell battled through a groin issue last week, and Will Allen hasn't played a full game in a long time. Robert Golden is their only back up unless Ross Ventrone's hamstring heals.

Psycho Ward 86
11-05-2014, 10:21 AM

that fade route against the colts

tube517
11-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Cortex was on Special Teams on the Jacoby Jones KR TD. He really looked worthless.

tube517
11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
With only three healthy safeties, I wonder if Cortez Allen will be called upon to fill in at safety in case of injury. Mike Mitchell battled through a groin issue last week, and Will Allen hasn't played a full game in a long time. Robert Golden is their only back up unless Ross Ventrone's hamstring heals.

Dangerfield was signed to the PS

http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/RodneyDangerfield%20%20_orig.jpg CHAMPIONSHIP!!! :chuckle: