PDA

View Full Version : Brown is 'one of the best in the world'

polamalubeast
10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
At his weekly news conference, Mike Tomlin had high praise for Antonio Brown

Back in the summer of 2012, his coach called him “a highly conditioned athlete.” Yesterday, Mike Tomlin turned up the dial when he called Antonio Brown “one of the best in the world at what he does.”

Whenever there was a discussion of the NFL’s elite wide receivers, the names on the tip of the tongue always seemed to be Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant and Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall and A.J. Green and Julio Jones. When those discussions are held nowadays, Antonio Brown needs to be included.

Midway through the 2014 season, it’s Antonio Brown who leads the NFL in receptions with 60, and since he also happens to be second in the NFL in receiving yardage with 852, it’s Antonio Brown who has the combined ranking in the two categories to put himself at the top of his profession.

“He’s one of the best in the world at what he does,” said Tomlin at his weekly news conference. “(Antonio) is physically and mentally on top of his game, and when you have somebody who’s playing like that, you step into a stadium and he’s a known issue but still he performs. We say similar things about guys like J.J. Watt. We knew what he was capable of when we were getting ready to play the Houston Texans, but it still doesn’t stop the storm from coming. Antonio is playing at that type of a level from a wide receiver standpoint, a J.J. Watt discussion kind of a level. I’m glad that he’s on our team.”

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-is-one-of-the-best-in-the-world/e5a96646-2ee4-4068-bdac-b652d2ceabc7

Moose
10-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Gotta agree, right now A.Brown is the BEST in the NFL ! Thank God he's Black/Gold !

zulater
10-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Remember when Steel Dawg assured us all that Antono's success was entirely dependent on Mike Wallace lining up opposite him taking off the top of the defense and drawing double and triple coverage every play? :heh:

fansince'76
10-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Remember when Steel Dawg assured us all that Antono's success was entirely dependent on Mike Wallace lining up opposite him taking off the top of the defense and drawing double and triple coverage every play? :heh:

Yes. :rolleyes:

X-Terminator
10-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Yep. And it's still funny now.

GBMelBlount
10-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Brown is one player that never mails it in...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XdfnR0CipTs/UIWh9VXANFI/AAAAAAAAFc0/71w29b_5sGA/s1600/what-can-brown-do-for-you_design.png

86WARD
10-29-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought Brown's production would dip down a little bit without Wallace around but it's only gotten better...much better. Didn't think Brown would be terrible, but didn't think he'd be this good either!! And I'm very happy that my thought was wrong...lol.

fansince'76
10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Remember when Steel Dawg assured us all that Antono's success was entirely dependent on Mike Wallace lining up opposite him taking off the top of the defense and drawing double and triple coverage every play? http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/heh.gif

Yep. And it's still funny now.

Brown was mvp because wallace was drawing the double teams leaving brown open to run free, and wallace still put up better numbers.

This is simply not true, Brown never overtook wallace thats why as soon as wallace came back brown went back to #2. Brown works harder where is the proof of this i never heard of this? Last I heard wallace was working with shaw one of the top trainers for nfl players. Ben wants wallace out there and has even said that the offense needs him. Brown has been way over hyped as this incredible receiver, what has he really done? I have never seen wallace quit on a play or not work for the ball he caught 70 passes last year, was he wide open on every pass?

Its a different ball game when you are expected to be the guy, now brown is no longer the 6th round no namer, he is folding under the pressure. A perfect example was the punt he didnt field late in the game, he was afraid to catch it he didnt want the ball.

Well the problem is we dont know if sanders can stay healthy and we also dont know if brown can put up wallace numbers without wallace stretching the field. Wallace has stayed healthy and put up very good numbers I think hes worth the money because with the attention he commands from defenses it would be easier to replace a brown or sanders.

What a maroon. :lol:

tube517
10-29-2014, 09:33 AM
He has put up "Mike Wallace numbers" in the FIRST 8 GAMES!!!! :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000419612/article/mike-wallace-frustrated-by-dolphins-lack-of-long-ball

Despite having five touchdown catches already, the former Steeler hasn't cracked 100 yards yet this season and has had fewer than 60 yards in three of his last four games, which prompted him to say this on Tuesday, on the heels of another dismal offensive performance against Jacksonville:

polamalubeast
10-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Brown is improving every year and I have rarely seen a consistent WR like him,this is unbelievable

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Brown's production would dip down a little bit without Wallace around but it's only gotten better...much better. Didn't think Brown would be terrible, but didn't think he'd be this good either!! And I'm very happy that my thought was wrong...lol.

Brown had 1,499 yards last year with 110 catchs and 8 TD.....This year, Brown is on pace to have More of 1,700 yards, 120 catchs and 14 TD

Nobody could predict that before the 2013 season!

zulater
10-29-2014, 10:38 AM
What a maroon. :lol:

The stupid never stopped with that guy. :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-29-2014, 11:43 AM
The stupid never stopped with that guy. :chuckle:

Because a receivers whos game is not jumping over dbs to catch passes is different from a receiver who does not jump. Again its not his game its not browns game its not sanders game, its not like we get into the redzone and we say hey lets through it up to brown or wallace they will out jump everyone and catch it.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/DERP_zps1bef69a3.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/DERP_zps1bef69a3.jpg.html)

:lol:

Craic
10-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Back on track . . .

Could you imagine if we had a young Hines Ward playing opposite him?

dislocatedday
10-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Antonio seems to have that "Jerry Rice" attitude where he feels there is always someone wanting to take his job, and therefore he is going to do everything in his power to assure that he constantly improves and is better than the next guy.

Honestly, I would not mind if the Steelers re-negotiated his contract after this season, adding a couple more years to his existing deal and giving him a bump in pay. It's hard to say someone is underpaid at the 6-7M$ per year that he is currently getting, but he really is underpaid when compared to other receivers who are getting much more money.

Steeldude
10-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Yes. I also remember him saying it is not the WRs job to fight for a pass. He also stated that fundamentals are not important...lol.

Steeldawg was just a fan of certain players rather than the team. If a player was a flashy punk then Steeldawg loved them.

86WARD
10-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Antonio seems to have that "Jerry Rice" attitude where he feels there is always someone wanting to take his job, and therefore he is going to do everything in his power to assure that he constantly improves and is better than the next guy.

Honestly, I would not mind if the Steelers re-negotiated his contract after this season, adding a couple more years to his existing deal and giving him a bump in pay. It's hard to say someone is underpaid at the 6-7M$ per year that he is currently getting, but he really is underpaid when compared to other receivers who are getting much more money.

I would encourage a renegotiation...lol. IMMEDIATELY AFTER they do Ben's...or Mark Sanchez...which ever comes first...;)

Count Steeler
10-29-2014, 06:43 PM

Cough Wallace cough. Sure glad Wallae refused to sign and then they locked in Brown. Turning out to be a very fortunate move for this FO.

Lady Steel
10-30-2014, 04:16 PM
We are very, very fortunate to have Antonio. I love the explosiveness he brings to the game with Ben at the helm.