PDA

View Full Version : Next superstar QB up is Colts' Andrew Luck

stillers4me
10-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Maybe that horseshoe on the side of the helmet does more than just serve as the official logo of the Indianapolis Colts. Maybe it actually works.

How else to explain the good fortune of being able to follow Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, with Andrew Luck, who is on a similar track after just 21/2 seasons in the NFL?

How else to explain that twice in 14 years, faced with a decision over which quarterback they should choose with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, the Colts selected the right one each time?..........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/26/Next-superstar-QB-up-is-Andrew-Luck/stories/201410260149

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Maybe that horseshoe on the side of the helmet does more than just serve as the official logo of the Indianapolis Colts. Maybe it actually works.

How else to explain the good fortune of being able to follow Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, with Andrew Luck, who is on a similar track after just 21/2 seasons in the NFL?

Easy. Purposefully and completely tank an entire season and get the first pick in the draft. Good fortune had very little to do with any of it, outside of the timing of Manning's neck surgery and when Luck came on the scene.

polamalubeast
10-26-2014, 11:02 AM
The Colts have been very lucky with the timing of the injury to Peyton Manning, but I do not think the Colts have intentionally lost in 2011 to have Andrew Luck since Bill Polian and Jim Cadwell lost their jobs after the season.

You can not intentionally lose when you can lose your job after!

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 11:04 AM
The Colts have been very lucky with the timing of the injury to Peyton Manning, but I do not think the Colts have intentionally lost in 2011 to have Andrew Luck since Bill Polian and Jim Cadwell lost their jobs after the season.

You can not intentionally lose when you can lose your job after!

You can suspend your disbelief any way you like. IMO, Irsay orchestrated it and Polian and Caldwell were made the fall guys for it. And yes, I think Irsay is that much of a scumbag.

SteelerFanInStl
10-26-2014, 02:11 PM
You can suspend your disbelief any way you like. IMO, Irsay orchestrated it and Polian and Caldwell were made the fall guys for it. And yes, I think Irsay is that much of a scumbag.
Yep, the Colts tanked that season. It was easy to see.

steelreserve
10-26-2014, 02:50 PM
"Superstar" is a bit much IMO. Yes, I understand they feel the need to crown another Chosen One QB, since it's been a few years since they were falling all over themselves to do the same with Rodgers. Russell Wilson didn't quite fit the mold, Eli Manning was old news, and Flacco sucks.

But seriously. Media.

Calm. The. Fuck. Down.

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 03:03 PM
"Superstar" is a bit much IMO. Yes, I understand they feel the need to crown another Chosen One QB, since it's been a few years since they were falling all over themselves to do the same with Rodgers. Russell Wilson didn't quite fit the mold, Eli Manning was old news, and Flacco sucks.

But seriously. Media.

Calm. The. Fuck. Down.

Bu-bu-but, he gitz STATZ!!! :jerkit:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2009/08/081709_football5.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2014, 07:29 PM
to be fair folks, he's doing it all. He set all kinds of rookie records all while getting sacked as bad as Ben did, he plays as well as the stat sheet indicates, intelligent, and he has the most comeback wins in the NFL since he entered the league. And can anybody spell TOUGH? Jesus, how Andrew Luck could stand coming into the 3rd quarter is beyond me. Yes, he made a couple bonehead plays but who could blame him with the pressure we put on him? Only Aaron Rodgers and Ben are the only quarterbacks who could have played as well if not better than him given the same circumstances. He had my respect before this game and he has a lot more after it.

Props Mr. Luck.

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 07:38 PM
He whines and cries to the refs almost as good as Brady. I'd never really watched him play before today as he'd never faced the Steelers, but I have to say he earned zero respect from me, particularly after that bitchfit he threw following the safety.

Count Steeler
10-26-2014, 07:39 PM
He whines and cries to the refs almost as good as Brady. I'd never really watched him play before today as he'd never faced the Steelers, but I have to say he earned zero respect from me, particularly after that bitchfit he threw following the safety.

I think they are still looking for that receiver.

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 07:40 PM
I think they are still looking for that receiver.

Hell, they let him get away with it at least two other times in that game. About damn time they called it.

ALLD
10-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Luck has a bad habit of throwing into the ground. It looks bad on tv much like when P Manning used to do all those stupid fake throw moves on handoffs earlier in his career. He got away with a couple before the refs finally relinquished.

I saw bad calls, no calls and make up calls. I wonder if the refs get a call from the front office to balance out a game after they one side it? It looked like that to me across a few games I watched today. Brady and Manning always get the calls though.

X-Terminator
10-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Yep. I was thinking "somebody get Andrea a tissue for crying out loud." What a pussy he is.

zulater
10-26-2014, 08:23 PM
The only reason it was a game today was because of Luck. The Steelers would have put this game away early in the 3rd quarter against a normal "above averag "qb. I didn't like some of his after play antics, but the guy is a flat out playah. I would take him on my team any day.

Mojouw
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't cafe for some his antics, but Luck is the best young QB in the came and it isn't even close.

Shoes
10-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm sure not going to get on Lucks case, he's a good kid, very competitive and a very good QB. At least he has balls and takes a hit, unlike the *two all mights* of the league.

zulater
10-26-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm sure not going to get on Lucks case, he's a good kid, very competitive and a very good QB. At least he has balls and takes a hit, unlike the *two all mights* of the league.

Yep, takes a beating and still keeps throwing it downfield on the numbers. I'm serious. I know we gave up a lot of points today. But outside of Cortez I thought the defense played well. Besides Rodgers there's not another qb in the league that would have stood up to that beating and kept delivering the ball with that sort of accuracy.

Dwinsgames
10-26-2014, 08:34 PM
to be fair folks, he's doing it all. He set all kinds of rookie records all while getting sacked as bad as Ben did, he plays as well as the stat sheet indicates, intelligent, and he has the most comeback wins in the NFL since he entered the league. And can anybody spell TOUGH? Jesus, how Andrew Luck could stand coming into the 3rd quarter is beyond me. Yes, he made a couple bonehead plays but who could blame him with the pressure we put on him? Only Aaron Rodgers and Ben are the only quarterbacks who could have played as well if not better than him given the same circumstances. He had my respect before this game and he has a lot more after it.

Props Mr. Luck.

#true

MrPgh
10-26-2014, 08:35 PM
The only reason it was a game today was because of Luck. The Steelers would have put this game away early in the 3rd quarter against a normal "above averag "qb. I didn't like some of his after play antics, but the guy is a flat out playah. I would take him on my team any day.

And Cortez...

st33lersguy
10-26-2014, 08:36 PM
You got to give Luck credit though, he really was the only reason the Colts didn't lose by at least 5 touchdowns. Also without him, the Colts at best finish 6-10 the last 2 years instead of 11-5

zulater
10-26-2014, 08:45 PM
And Cortez...

True dat.

X-Terminator
10-26-2014, 08:50 PM
You got to give Luck credit though, he really was the only reason the Colts didn't lose by at least 5 touchdowns. Also without him, the Colts at best finish 6-10 the last 2 years instead of 11-5

He's a great QB, but the whining really soured me on him. I don't have much tolerance for that.

tube517
10-26-2014, 10:35 PM
No one doubts Luck's talent. But, the crybaby Marsha act can go.

steelreserve
10-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Bullcrap, without Luck they finish 12-4 or better because they didn't tank that season and held on to Manning instead. They knew exactly what they were doing there.

zulater
10-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Bullcrap, without Luck they finish 12-4 or better because they didn't tank that season and held on to Manning instead. They knew exactly what they were doing there.

Yeah and it was a smart move. No one knew whether Manning would make it back let alone come back as a still elite qb. They secured a qb to lead them for the next 15 years. Similar in some ways what the Packers did when they let Favre go with a few good years left to get Aaron Rodgers on the field. And the Colts wouldn't have tanked if the best qb in the draft class came in as a question mark. Regardless Luck had nothing to do with the Colts decision to tank and let Manning go. So that shouldn't be held against him. And if you can't see he elevates the surrounding talent on that roster than I have no idea what game you're watching.

Last thing if you're a Pens fan and you're bitching about how the Colts came to draft Luck, I suggest you have a good look in the mirror.

Luck is a classy guy in my opinion. Our right guard David DeCastro thinks the world of him, thinks he was a great teammate and leader. Still hangs out with him in the offseason. So I'll defer to him on the sort of guy Luck is.

Pete The Greek
10-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Hell, they let him get away with it at least two other times in that game. About damn time they called it.

Agreed. I caught myself yelling at the TV when Luck first did this in the first half.

steelreserve
10-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Yeah and it was a smart move. No one knew whether Manning would make it back let alone come back as a still elite qb. They secured a qb to lead them for the next 15 years. Similar in some ways what the Packers did when they let Favre go with a few good years left to get Aaron Rodgers on the field. And the Colts wouldn't have tanked if the best qb in the draft class came in as a question mark. Regardless Luck had nothing to do with the Colts decision to tank and let Manning go. So that shouldn't be held against him. And if you can't see he elevates the surrounding talent on that roster than I have no idea what game you're watching.

Last thing if you're a Pens fan and you're bitching about how the Colts came to draft Luck, I suggest you have a good look in the mirror.

Not doubting that Luck has talent, or saying he told the Colts to tank the season. Just pointing out that the Colts would not be bottom-feeders without him. Yes, that post probably meant "take away Luck and don't replace him with another good QB and the Colts are 6-10," but I felt it necessary to point out that was never going to happen. Plus, you could say the same about any team in the NFL. Take away their franchise QB and don't replace him, and they will struggle. This is not rocket science.

And sure, they made the right long-term move for their future, but it was a total scumbag move.

No, I'm not much of a Pens fan. I'm looking in the mirror and all I see is a hell of an attractive gentleman. Tanking in any sport is a dishonorable move.

Luck is a classy guy in my opinion. Our right guard David DeCastro thinks the world of him, thinks he was a great teammate and leader. Still hangs out with him in the offseason. So I'll defer to him on the sort of guy Luck is.

I don't really care what kind of a guy Luck is off the field. I don't hang out with him. All I know is that on the field, he acts like a whiny douche, which is all I really care about since that's the extent of my interaction with him. I won't defer to DeCastro.

tube517
10-27-2014, 11:09 AM
De Castro talks???? :chuckle:

Off topic: Ramon Foster was interviewed by Steelers.com after the Colts game and was chiding DeCastro about him being a quiet guy. Funny stuff.

steel striker
10-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Yeah Luck's good and, too much of the whine for my liking.

zulater
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Not doubting that Luck has talent, or saying he told the Colts to tank the season. Just pointing out that the Colts would not be bottom-feeders without him. Yes, that post probably meant "take away Luck and don't replace him with another good QB and the Colts are 6-10," but I felt it necessary to point out that was never going to happen. Plus, you could say the same about any team in the NFL. Take away their franchise QB and don't replace him, and they will struggle. This is not rocket science.

And sure, they made the right long-term move for their future, but it was a total scumbag move.

No, I'm not much of a Pens fan. I'm looking in the mirror and all I see is a hell of an attractive gentleman. Tanking in any sport is a dishonorable move.

I don't really care what kind of a guy Luck is off the field. I don't hang out with him. All I know is that on the field, he acts like a whiny douche, which is all I really care about since that's the extent of my interaction with him. I won't defer to DeCastro.

I'm not going to tell you what's honorable or not. But maximizing your chance to get a once a decade type franchise player is never the wrong thing to do in my opinion. Honor doesn't fill the seats or put you in playoff position for the next ten years.

But no disrespect intended. I admire your principles. I just wouldn't neccessarily apply them in the competitive world of sports.

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2014, 01:08 PM
oh come on guys. Luck cant help it if the colts probably tanked to get him. At the very end of the day, the guy is a class act, great player, and just plain hard to hate.

Steelman
10-27-2014, 01:25 PM
oh come on guys. Luck cant help it if the colts probably tanked to get him. At the very end of the day, the guy is a class act, great player, and just plain hard to hate.

I had a lot of respect for Luck, but gosh, those hissyfits on the sideline turned my stomach. Reminded of vintage Marsha.

Still think he's a tough QB, but showed off some major douche moves yesterday.

86WARD
10-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Would you rather your QB go sit on the bench and sulk quietly?

steelreserve
10-27-2014, 01:32 PM

No, Luck didn't have anything to do with the tanking (I would remove "probably" from that sentence), so you can't hold it against him. And he's probably a great guy off the field or whatever. All I/everyone is saying is that he PLAYS like a whiny douche.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you rather your QB go sit on the bench and sulk quietly?

After a sequence like that, he should be hiding in shame.

st33lersguy
10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm not going to tell you what's honorable or not. But maximizing your chance to get a once a decade type franchise player is never the wrong thing to do in my opinion. Honor doesn't fill the seats or put you in playoff position for the next ten years.

But no disrespect intended. I admire your principles. I just wouldn't neccessarily apply them in the competitive world of sports.

I agree, they would have gotten a whole lot more out of tanking the season, ensuring the no. 1 draft pick and then have their franchise set for at least a decade than trying their absolute hardest to achieve 6 or 7 wins that would have had absolutely no impact on the franchise, and then when Peyton retired and they couldn't find an adequate replacement they would have been screwed.

steelreserve
10-27-2014, 03:08 PM
I agree, they would have gotten a whole lot more out of tanking the season, ensuring the no. 1 draft pick and then have their franchise set for at least a decade than trying their absolute hardest to achieve 6 or 7 wins that would have had absolutely no impact on the franchise, and then when Peyton retired and they couldn't find an adequate replacement they would have been screwed.

Yes, sometimes the smart thing to do is also a shitty thing to do.

tube517
10-27-2014, 03:26 PM
I know they tanked the season but damn they made us work for the win that year!