PDA

View Full Version : Young running back powering Steelers offense

stillers4me
10-25-2014, 10:00 AM
They’re not the most recognizable records in franchise history; two of them aren’t even listed in the Steelers media guide. But maybe that will change in the future because Le’Veon Bell is doing things on the field no other running back in team history has.

Bell is on pace to set three franchise records this season. He is on pace for 2,144 yards from scrimmage, which would break the season record Barry Foster set in 1992 when he totaled 2,034 yards (a team-record 1,690 yards rushing as well as 344 yards receiving).

Bell also is on pace to set the franchise records for most receptions for a back in a season and most receiving yards for a back in a season. Bell has 36 receptions and is on pace for 82, which would shatter the record John L. Williams (51) set in 1994. He has 339 receiving yards for a pace of 775 by season’s end. Ray Mathews set record for most receiving yards in a season by a running back with 762 in 1955.

Bell is the NFL’s third-leading rusher with 599 yards, but the Steelers value him as a receiver so much that he is the first option on some of their passing plays. Coach Mike Tomlin called Bell’s 43-yard reception in the second quarter Monday night against the Houston Texans one of the biggest plays of the game because it netted a first down on third-and-8 from deep in Steelers territory. It also set up the first points of the game for the Steelers, who trailed, 13-0, at the time............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/25/Young-running-back-powering-Steelers-offense/stories/201410250122

ALLD
10-25-2014, 06:09 PM
How many times in the last few years has it been said in this forum to throw to the damn RB out of the backfield? I have said it at least a dozen times myself. It solves some of the OL problems.

st33lersguy
10-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Let's hope he can keep it up and not have his career capsize due to injury, or turn into another Mike Wallace

Hawkman
10-25-2014, 08:05 PM
How many times in the last few years has it been said in this forum to throw to the damn RB out of the backfield? I have said it at least a dozen times myself. It solves some of the OL problems.

Got to have the talent to do it.

Mendy wasn't bad and Parker was decent Redman, Dwyer not so much.

ALLD
10-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Throwing to the RB has not been in the playbook since I can remember. Been watching Sproles and Wife Beater Rice get passes for years successfully. Just not on the radar. We have been looking for eccentric KRs, headcases and lazy defensive hopes as a team composition instead of finding a solid check down out of the backfield. *Also see CB.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Got to have the talent to do it.

Mendy wasn't bad and Parker was decent Redman, Dwyer not so much.

also gotta have an OC willing to do it. Unforunately Haley still sucks major balls

tube517
10-25-2014, 09:53 PM
That's about the only thing Haley has done worth a damn is recognizing the pass catching skills of Bell.

Arians did jack shit with Parker and Mendy in the passing game. I'm not talking about Megatron numbers but at least 25-30 receptions in a season.

ALLD
10-26-2014, 07:17 AM
Bell is our #2 receiver right now. That is a complete 180* and helps keep Ben upright. The Archer thing and the $ thrown at Cortez in the hope that he lives up to the contract is what has me shaking my head now.