PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers

stillers4me
10-25-2014, 08:06 AM
James Harrison has had four games to dust off the cobwebs after re-signing with the Steelers in late September. There has been time enough, too, to lubricate his squeaky wheels.

Or, so it seems.

The 36-year-old linebacker acknowledged it has been difficult to recapture the swagger that made him an intimidating presence on the field. He isn't exploding off the blocks to put any semblance of heat on quarterbacks.

That, of course, must change when the Steelers face Colts quarterback Andrew Luck — one of the league's most proficient passers — on Sunday at Heinz Field. Luck has been sacked only 11 times on 302 pass attempts.

Clearly, it appears a bad time for a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year to wonder if the fear factor is lost.
“I'm not there yet,” he said. “Not even close.” .........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7001081-74/harrison-luck-steelers#ixzz3HA4MJIfx

Well, considering our defense did not have any "fear factor" even before he came back.......... h fills the uniform as well as can be expected.

Moose
10-25-2014, 08:49 AM
It's that damn 'cat' smell he can't get rid of ! Sorry James, not impressed, you'll never have the 'getty up' you once had. I can still see you as a bunghole !

Count Steeler
10-25-2014, 08:53 AM
The lore of Harrison is passed. I think we would have been better served getting a younger guy that had potential. Howard Jones is a name I will keep bringing up.

Moose
10-25-2014, 09:05 AM
The lore of Harrison is passed. I think we would have been better served getting a younger guy that had potential. Howard Jones is a name I will keep bringing up.

Can't agree more ! Harrison is history in my book, especially since being a bunghole loser.

Mojouw
10-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Father time remains undefeated. There is little chance that Kiesel and Harrison get BETTER as the season grinds on. They were great to take up snaps early int he year, but the youngsters like Tuitt and McCullers and Moats and whoever need to start getting the snaps at this point.

zulater
10-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Father time remains undefeated. There is little chance that Kiesel and Harrison get BETTER as the season grinds on. They were great to take up snaps early int he year, but the youngsters like Tuitt and McCullers and Moats and whoever need to start getting the snaps at this point.

Keisel is more than earning his keep. Harrison is not. I hate to say it, and maybe it's still too early to call, but Harrison looks as if he's finished. He should have stayed retired. Oh well at least this way he actually gets to retire as a Steeler rather than go out with one of those b.s. sign and retire deals.

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2014, 12:35 PM
If Moats were doing his job we wouldn't need much from Harrison. I expected more from him.

zulater
10-25-2014, 12:44 PM
If Moats were doing his job we wouldn't need much from Harrison. I expected more from him.

Moats is doing his job. He was a low end signing and he's playing to expectations. He was supposed to be an occasional sub for Jones and Worildis. Not a starter.

fansince'76
10-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Exactly. It's time to give up the ghost - the James Harrison of 2008 is long, long gone.

zulater
10-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Exactly. It's time to give up the ghost - the James Harrison of 2008 is long, long gone.

I'd settle for end of the season 2012 James Harrison. But even that seems to be a longshot at the moment

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Moats is doing his job. He was a low end signing and he's playing to expectations. He was supposed to be an occasional sub for Jones and Worildis. Not a starter.

Well, I should have worded that a little differently. He was signed to be a backup but he was also signed as possibly being a guy who could turn in to a starter. He's been given that opportunity and hasn't stepped up. I expected more from him.

tube517
10-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Harrison wasn't brought in to or expected to be back to All-Pro/younger form. Just a depth signing. I had low expectations from him and didn't expect much from him.

He is, however, still being held like he was before.

Steeldude
10-25-2014, 06:29 PM

From what I have read the knock on H. Jones is his lack of intelligence. Basically, he can only comprehend simple plays with one function.

I am still waiting for J. Jones to show something.

Count Steeler
10-25-2014, 07:09 PM
From what I have read the knock on H. Jones is his lack of intelligence. Basically, he can only comprehend simple plays with one function.

I am still waiting for J. Jones to show something.

Well if Worilds is on the field because of his intelligence, let's change it up.

Give me playmakers.

blackngldblood
10-27-2014, 03:58 PM
After seeing him play yesterday, I think it's safe to say that once Harrison is back in football shape, he can be a factor. Not 08 Harrison, by any means, but still can make some plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
10-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Not '08 Harrison but better than '14 Worilds.

one side only
10-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Not '08 Harrison but better than '14 Worilds.

Worilds has been solid all season; the past two games he has played very, very well.

GBMelBlount
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Whoever is contributing for our front seven the key to the 2nd half of the season will be our ability to apply consistent pressure to opposing quarterbacks.

zulater
10-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Worilds has been solid all season; the past two games he has played very, very well.

Jason was very good against the Colts, and pretty good against the Texans. But prior to that he's been mostly invisible.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by Harrison's game last Sunday. I thought the tread was bare, nothing left in the tank. But at least for one week he looked a little like the James of old rather than the old James.

Hopefully the Ravens will bring out the best in him again.

86WARD
10-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Solid all season? He was nonexistent up until the Texans game...

SteelerFanInStl
10-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Agreed. No small coincidence that he's played better with James on the other side now. I think that he also respects and listens to James and I'm sure that James has helped him since he's been back.

Shoes
10-28-2014, 09:33 PM

I agree and seems to me he was manhandled most of the season. I'd never sign this guy to a big contract.

86WARD
10-29-2014, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal. No way. If he needs Harrison around to be "decent," then there's no point...