PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hand kickoff return duties to LeGarrette Blount

Shoes
10-24-2014, 08:22 PM
The Steelers have been miserable running back kickoffs this season, averaging just 17.5 yards a return. As a result, they’ve made a change on the special teams depth chart.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/24/steelers-hand-kickoff-return-duties-to-legarrette-blount/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/24/steelers-hand-kickoff-return-duties-to-legarrette-blount/)

zulater
10-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Might as well deactivate Archer then.

st33lersguy
10-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Why are they handing off duties to a slower powerback?

Steeltreal
10-24-2014, 10:17 PM

Why are they allowing so many Points ?
No Score, No KO duties Period

one side only
10-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Because he averaged 29 yards per return last year with the Patriots.

salamander
10-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Blount is actually a decent return guy from what I've seen, believe it or not.

Steelman
10-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Hell, if he even made it to the 19 yard line I'd be a happy camper.

Steeldude
10-25-2014, 01:19 AM
That says a lot about Archer. He really has no spot on the team. Why waste a 3rd round pick on a player who will only be involved in 5 plays or less per game? At least that's my opinion as of now. I really don't see anything changing though.

The Steelers could have used that pick for a CB or LT prospect.

Count Steeler
10-25-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm encouraged to see the coaching staff finally willing to change personnel. If the guy isn't getting it done, change things up. Blount may not be the home run threat, but at least we won't be starting within our own 20.

As for the 3rd round draft pick, the NFL should have an investigation into the possibility that New England handed in our pick.

ALLD
10-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Maybe they are moving Archer to NT?

Moose
10-25-2014, 08:53 AM
This move ought to be interesting. Hopefully they will be able to start past the 5 yrd line anyway ! As was said earlier, I am glad the coaches are making some player adjustments, especially where needed.

ALLD
10-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Drafting an eccentric KR should be on the same longshot priority as a running QB.

86WARD
10-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Gary Russell, Najeh Davenport, Blount as kick returners...Garbage.

Butch
10-28-2014, 12:48 AM
It's not the returner it's the blocking. When your returner is surrounded by the other team's jerseys there isn't going to be a lot of success.

Aussie_steeler
10-28-2014, 01:45 AM
Thank you Butch. Nobody is willing to assign blame to the kick return unit.

Rather it is more fun to pile on Archer. I know a lot of people didn't like him as a draft pick however now that he is a steeler lets be objective about the kick returns

The unit blocks like sieve and commits the most stupid penalties.

How did Blount perform behind the same unit? I definitely recall one return making it all the way to the 13. Most others were fair caught.

I have read where Archer was instructed not to fair catch, but to chance his hand.

If Blount fair catches every return by default the starting position will be automatically better. Guess that make him a better returner than Archer

Dwinsgames
10-28-2014, 02:14 AM
It's not the returner it's the blocking. When your returner is surrounded by the other team's jerseys there isn't going to be a lot of success.

eluded to this in another thread , so I totally agree

Steelman
10-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Thank you Butch. Nobody is willing to assign blame to the kick return unit.

Rather it is more fun to pile on Archer. I know a lot of people didn't like him as a draft pick however now that he is a steeler lets be objective about the kick returns

The unit blocks like sieve and commits the most stupid penalties.

How did Blount perform behind the same unit? I definitely recall one return making it all the way to the 13. Most others were fair caught.

I have read where Archer was instructed not to fair catch, but to chance his hand.

If Blount fair catches every return by default the starting position will be automatically better. Guess that make him a better returner than Archer

I'm sure they thought Archer's speed gave him an advantage, but if there's no blocking then it doesn't matter how fast he is, or how slow, in Blount's case.

Brown hasn't gotten anything out of punt returns either which speaks to the group as a whole. Ventrone has helped keep opposing returns down (still not great) but the rest of the unit either can't block or they're not filling the lanes properly. The whole unit definitely needs a lot of work.

tube517
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Gary Russell, Najeh Davenport, Blount as kick returners...Garbage.

Allen Rossum, Stephan Logan. Couldn't keep them because of the MASH unit O-line injuries throughout the past few years.

Pretty sad. Last real KR was Woodson and he was better at PR.

Craic
10-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Something else that's struck me is the fact that we've had a lot less penalties lately. It's as if we've gone from one extreme to the other.