PDA

View Full Version : 7 games in. Where you were right where you were wrong about the Steelers.

zulater
10-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Where I was right? Uh, let me think.:doh: Not on much. I suppose I can at least claim that I was certain that they'd bring back Keisel, and they did, and he's played well. Also I was right to dispute the idiots at Profootballfocus who tried to assert that Fernandom Velasco was nearly as good as Pouncey. Nothing against Fernando, but he's not even close. Pouncey can do things few centers in the league can even think of. I was also right about LeVeon Bell being an elite back. But really, how could anyone who watched the last half of last season think otherwise.

Where I was wrong Where to start? Cortez Allen. I thought his was a good signing. I thought he'd be an above average cb. :doh: I thought Marcus Wheaton would be a solid replacement for Emanuel Sanders. :doh: I thought Lance Moore would be at least as good as Jericho Cotchery. :doh: I thought this was a 10-12 win team. :doh: I thought our rookie draft class would be solid contributors to this team. :doh:

Ok now I've purged myself of the past, to prove that I'm the sort of idiot who doesn't learn from my mistakes here's my fearless predictions for the last 9 games of the season.

I think Martavias Bryant will prove himself to be a better game player than practice player. I predict he'll be the Steelers rookie of the year.

I still think this team will win 9 or 10 games and sneak into the playoffs as a WC team. Yeah I know this contradicts what I've said elsewhere on this board.But I've got my black and gold goggles back on now and this is my official glass half full prediction.:wink02:

Being stubborn I predict Cortez Allen will rebound, and at least look competent and prove that he belongs in the NFL as a starting cb.

I predict Jarvis Jones will come back off the IR with a vengeance and prove himself worthy of his draft status.

I predict Mike Adams will earn a starting spot on the OL before the season is out.

Oh geez, did I just say that? :wtf: :

Ok that's enough from me for tonight. Anyone else care to join in?

Dwinsgames
10-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok that's enough from me for tonight. Anyone else care to join in?

nope I make a fool of myself enough as it is no point in taking a saw out on the limb with me

Mojouw
10-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I will try and remember all the things I was wrong about:
1. Thought Worilds would put up the stats to justify his contract
2. Thought this was the season Cortez Allen put it all together and became Ike Taylor with hands.
3. Thought Harrison and Kiesel were gone forever.
4. Thought ARcher's speed would play in the NFL. It has not.
5. Thought the Blount signing was pointless and would hurt Bell's development. Clearly that has not been an issue.

Things I sorta remember thinking:
1. WR corps was dangerously shallow and inexperienced. Also that Lance Moore might be old.
2. That Jarvis Jones will not live up to his draft status again.
3. That Cam Heyward is good. And Cam Thomas is not.
4. That DHB can not catch. Was not aware that neither could Justin Brown.
5. Munchak is not a magician and the o line still has issues.

For the rest of the season:
1. Allen will continue to be bad.
2. Mitchell will get better.
3. Tuitt and McCullers force their way onto the field.
4. The pass rush will stink all year.

zulater
10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
In your defense Moj. Worildis had his best game of the season to date. Maybe that's the start of things to come?

Also thought Mitchell had his best game of the season. So maybe he's turning the corner?

And I think we all had Cam Thomas as a suspect signing. :frusty:

ALLD
10-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Cortez Allen is stealing a paycheck every week.
Archer is a gimmick player that may or may not work (*will not).
Steelers will win the division and go to the playoffs this season (*will not).

st33lersguy
10-21-2014, 05:39 PM
I got a lot of things wrong. I thought the following players would show more than they have so far Mike Mitchell, Shazier (I thought he would be a defensive rookie of the year contender at this point and instead he gets injured), the O-line, Lance Moore, LeGarrette Blount, Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones (also injured).

I did call correctly that Brown would be very productive and that Bell would be a rising player.

For the rest of the season, I see a 3-6 finish on their way to 7-9. This just doesn't look like a playoff team. The O-line stinks, the non-existent pass rush compliments the lack of coverage prefectly, the coaching is below satisfactory, even Ben has had some rough outings. Some positives, I see Shazier and Jones doing well when they return and I see Bell and AB solidifying pro bowl spots

HollywoodSteel
10-21-2014, 05:48 PM
I'll admit I had absolutely no idea what this defense would look like. Of course I was hoping that our young talent would burst forth and take the league by storm, but clearly that was delusional. I had little faith in our secondary given that Ike will never be what he once was (since he's always relied on his speed, and once that starts to go it never comes back). I've never really seen what everyone else seemed to have seen in Cortez, but I was really hoping that I was the idiot and everyone else knew better. I was looking for Mitchell to be an upgrade over Clark (since Clark really took a nosedive last year) but have been extremely disappointed in him so far. I think Shazier will eventually be something special and the jury is still out on Jarvis Jones. I am still hopeful that Tuitt will be great eventually and this defense is poised to make a giant leap forward. I just can't see that really happening this season. Maybe Sharknado, Jones, Shazier, and Tuitt are a year away from greatness. If we can get a shutdown corner, a nose tackle, and another safety (because Troy is pretty much done) I think we could make a giant leap forward in 2015. But in all honesty, I just can't see this team scaring anybody this year even if we do squeak into the playoffs. Which we probably won't.

With our offense I was right about Bell and AB being superstars, but was as wrong as possible when it comes to points. I though this offense was poised to be a points scoring machine. And I think we still can be if everything comes together and Haley stops killing my dreams.

steelreserve
10-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Where was I right ... well, we didn't have a nose tackle and we still don't have a nose tackle; therefore, our run defense sucks and our pass rush is nonexistent. Gruden said it at the end of the first quarter: "If you play a 3-4 defense and you struggle at nose tackle, you're going to have serious problems." Well, that's where we are.

We needed help at CB and we didn't do anything to get it; therefore, our pass coverage sucks. This completes the trifecta of the whole defense being sub-par.

Where was I wrong ... I did not expect the offense to be scoring <10 points a game unless it gets extremely lucky breaks. I thought this would be the year when Allen emerged. I thought Lance Moore would be an integral part of the passing game, or at least on the field more than a couple times a game. I thought one of Wheaton or DHB would give us a consistent third option.

I was hoping Bell would be good, but I had no idea he'd be this good.

I figured there was no way Tomlin could let the team be completely unprepared for a fourth season in a row. Shows what I know.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Wrong: 1) Cortez Allen finally goes ham
2) Harrison isnt coming back
3) Wheaton and Moore share snaps pretty evenly
4) Antonio Brown has a significantly less dominant statistical season after defenses have seen what he can do for a year
5) Worilds proves his worth for a new long term contract

Right: 1) Cameron Heyward leads the team in sacks and is a budding superstar
2) Cam Thomas sucks balls

Craic
10-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Didn't get much if anything wrong . . . but that's because I really had no idea what to expect of this season.

So, vaguely recollecting, O line isn't playing like I thought they might, but the run game is going almost like I thought it would. Defense is more porous at times than I thought it would be, but there are some flashes of great play that I didn't think we'd see.

Going forward, the problem is that I still have no idea what to expect of this season. It's just that kind of year, and that kind of team. Mark my words however, if we do find a groove, this is the type of team that all of a sudden can be impossible to beat, and if it gets hot at the right time, can march very deep into the playoffs. Sadly, this is also the type of team that can lose 80 percent of the rest of their games.

FS said it best, they're bipolor.

Renegade
10-23-2014, 09:14 AM
i was about as wrong as one could be. i figured the steelers were good enough to beat bad teams. looking at the schedule, there was no reason to believe that they would not have double-digit wins (they still might). ok, i thought the steelers would split with the ravens while sweeping the highly sweepable bengals (who are not good and always fold) and the browns with this being a 5-1 record. i thought they had a chance to beat the chiefs and jets (they will) and be 7-1. then comes the afc south. this division is awful. i figured the steelers would only lose to the titans cause they never win against the titans. 10-2. i thought the panthers were the only tough team in the nfc south meaning the steelers would be 13-3. what was i smoking?

tube517
10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I was wrong about Cam Thomas' playing time. I thought he would see minimal time esp with Kiesel and Tuitt being added to the team. He has seen way too much time on the field, even before McClendon's injury.

I also thought Lance Moore would contribute more than he has and that Justin Brown would not be getting much playing time at all.