PDA

View Full Version : Week 8:Indianapolis Colts(5-2)

polamalubeast
10-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Do you think the Steelers can contain Andrew Luck and his offense?

The Colts are first in scoring this year and their defense is playing very well in recent weeks and that includes a shutout against the Bengals in their last game.

A big challenge for the steelers!

zulater
10-21-2014, 11:59 AM
In all honesty I don't think they have a snowball in hell's chance. Their only hope is the Colts look past them.

ALLD
10-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Colts are positioning for the playoffs. Ball would have to bounce Steelers' way to have any chance, but the Colts have a better team. Haley would need to put something together like he has never done before while we would also need to see the James Harrison of 2008. I doubt either happens on the road and we lose a game after winning, the mark of a mediocre team.

vader29
10-21-2014, 12:17 PM
I doubt either happens on the road and we lose a game after winning, the mark of a mediocre team.
Game is in Pittsburgh and Pitt plays Georgia Tech the day before at Heinz so maybe the field isn't as good and the Colts can't get their offense going as well as usual.

Also Bumblebee jerseys this weekend.

fansince'76
10-21-2014, 12:51 PM
This team can beat anybody at any time. It can also lose to anybody at any time. That being said, I hope they don't come out like they did against the Texans, because the Colts will score TDs, not FGs like Houston did. The 13-0 deficit against Houston would be a 21-0 deficit against Indy.

Psycho Ward 86
10-21-2014, 12:55 PM
i think we can contain the colts to under 50 points.

but seriously, that blanking of the bengals makes this game that much scarier. where the hell did that come from? imagine if robert mathis were actually playing.

ryan shazier at least practiced in limited capacity last week. hopefully he can make it back for this one. he's going to have to make a few splash plays for us to have a chance in this one. Ben needs to finally have his 1st 3 TD, 300 yard game since forever, but at the same time, leveon needs to eat. no more of this crap where he only get 10 carries even though he's averaging 5-6 yards a carry during a game.

a second receiver needs to emerge as a reliable target. zero catches last night wheaton? really? after your crappy day the week before?

dri archer. you're coming out party starts now.

polamalubeast
10-21-2014, 01:03 PM
I do not think the Steelers can beat every teams...Yes the win against the Panthers were a surprise at this time, but the Panthers are very bad since, especially in defense...The best team the Steelers beat since last year, it was against the Bengals that are bad on the road...The only other team with a winning record that the Steelers have won since last year it was against the Packers without Aaron Rodgers....A win against the Colts would be an upset, even if it's at home

The Colts also have the best defense against the 3rd down and they are the best team in the time of possession

fansince'76
10-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I do not think the Steelers can beat every teams...Yes the win against the Panthers were a surprise at this time, but the Panthers are very bad since, especially in defense....A win against the Colts would be an upset, even if it's at home

The Colts also have the best defense against the 3rd down and they are the best team in the time of possession

If they were unbeatable, they'd be 7-0 and not 5-2. They play the games for a reason.

X-Terminator
10-21-2014, 01:08 PM
If they were unbeatable, they'd be 7-0 and not 5-2. They play the games for a reason.

Exactly. That's why I am predicting that the Steelers shock the world this Sunday and beat the Colts. No one is unbeatable when they come to Heinz in October. I most likely will be wrong about this, but I'm standing firmly behind my call.

fansince'76
10-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Exactly. That's why I am predicting that the Steelers shock the world this Sunday and beat the Colts. No one is unbeatable when they come to Heinz in October. I most likely will be wrong about this, but I'm standing firmly behind my call.

If I were betting money on the game, would I be taking the Steelers? Hell no. That's partly why I'm not a betting man. :chuckle:

tube517
10-21-2014, 01:21 PM
If I were betting money on the game, would I be taking the Steelers? Hell no. That's partly why I'm not a betting man. :chuckle:

I never beat on the Steelers, especially this Helter Skelter team. Never start a Steeler for fantasy football (I don't play fantasy football anymore)

Steeltreal
10-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Game is in Pittsburgh and Pitt plays Georgia Tech the day before at Heinz so maybe the field isn't as good and the Colts can't get their offense going as well as usual.

Also Bumblebee jerseys this weekend.

524609995459932160Like Georgia tech in that game.
2/2 Bumblebees

steel striker
10-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Colts can be beat and, they have two losses. Now it will take the best effort of the season for this to happen and, the offense can't get behind like FS76 said above. We have playmakers on offense I hoping things will come together and, maybe the defense can cause a few takeaways.

Moose
10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
I was at the Texas game, and I'm happy as hell we got the win...but let me tell you the only impressive part was the last of the 2nd quarter when Texans crumbled and the Black/Gold capitalized on their mistakes. Now, with that being said I really don't see the Colt's self-destruct the way the Texan's did, and with the LACK of tackling the Steeler's displayed in Texan's game, I can see an ugly Steeler loss. Colt's 31-13 The next 2 games are going to be big and it would be nice to win BOTH, but I don't see it happening. If we would have to lose 1 though, Indy game would be the one to lose. The rat's game the following week is a must ! Please prove me wrong .... GO STEELERS ! ( I HATE throwbacks--this is really going to be ugly)

GBMelBlount
10-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Any chance Shazier will be back for this game?

polamalubeast
10-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Any chance Shazier will be back for this game?

yes

Count Steeler
10-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I think our D comes up big. I liked the amount of communication I saw out on the field. Looks like the guys are starting to come together. Now if McCullers supplants Thomas, we just might get on a roll.

Steelers 35 Colts 24

st33lersguy
10-21-2014, 05:23 PM
I envision this game being very very painful with everyone feeling they just got kicked in the nuts. My prediction will be very descriptive, moreso than any previous description before, to fully capture how painful it will be. Steelers play up to their competition and behind strong performances by Ben, Bell, and AB and from a critical turnover, the Steelers take a 24-10 3rd quarter lead and a 31-17 4th quarter lead with about 5 minutes left to play. That is where things fall apart. Starting at their own 20, the Colts score a TD with ease, the offense goes 3 and out and the Colts tie the game on 4th and goal from around the 10 with about 10 seconds left. The Steelers go 3 and out and the Colts drive down the field easily to kick the field goal to win 34-31 in OT. The Steelers will have us believing that the ship is righted and that playoffs is a real possibility only to kick us fans in the nuts with this damaging heart-breaker, against a QB skilled in comeback wins, that sends the season in the wrong direction.

tube517
10-21-2014, 05:39 PM
I envision this game being very very painful with everyone feeling they just got kicked in the nuts. My prediction will be very descriptive, moreso than any previous description before, to fully capture how painful it will be. Steelers play up to their competition and behind strong performances by Ben, Bell, and AB and from a critical turnover, the Steelers take a 24-10 3rd quarter lead and a 31-17 4th quarter lead with about 5 minutes left to play. That is where things fall apart. Starting at their own 20, the Colts score a TD with ease, the offense goes 3 and out and the Colts tie the game on 4th and goal from around the 10 with about 10 seconds left. The Steelers go 3 and out and the Colts drive down the field easily to kick the field goal to win 34-31 in OT. The Steelers will have us believing that the ship is righted and that playoffs is a real possibility only to kick us fans in the nuts with this damaging heart-breaker, against a QB skilled in comeback wins, that sends the season in the wrong direction.

In other words, the 2009 season or this season's Tampa Bay game. Yep. That's exactly how I feel.

polamalubeast
10-21-2014, 05:46 PM

It would be a surprise since the Steelers have not lost a game after having a lead of at least 14 points in the last 25 years

86WARD
10-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Loss.

st33lersguy
10-21-2014, 06:14 PM
It would be a surprise since the Steelers have not lost a game after having a lead of at least 14 points in the last 25 years

A. Streaks can definitely end
B. I definitely think it is reasonable to think that Andrew Luck could come back from 14 points against the Steelers prevent defense (which I guarantee will be run)

HollywoodSteel
10-21-2014, 06:24 PM
The only way we win this game is if the offense comes out strong and plays up to their potential whistle to whistle. That hasn't happened yet this year. Just have to pray that everything comes together this week.

And even with that, we'll need a few breaks on defense and special teams because the Colts will put up points against us. A lot of them.

Psycho Ward 86
10-21-2014, 06:33 PM

andrew luck is one of those dudes that are much more terrifying to play with if you have the lead on him. he's the new comeback kid on the block.

Renegade
10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
being totally honest, i think the steelers can smash the colts. the game against the ravens which is so important, never seems to go our way in prime time. ratbirds always win under the lights. i dont know why, but it seems the ravens either smash us or we barely win. with this being said, the steelers must win the next 2 games. a blowout vs indy (30-14) and a walk off fg vs baltimore (20-17).

plenewken
10-22-2014, 05:31 AM
Do you think the Steelers can contain Andrew Luck and his offense? !
Have you watched our D this year?

ALLD
10-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Steelers will need to score a TD on their first possession and then keep scoring. Luck can throw at Cortez Allen for 200+ yards in the first half.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2014, 07:32 AM
We saw the damage the Steelers are capable of in just 3 minutes when playing inspired.

Ben, Brown, Bell, Heyward, Timmons and Shazam....Let's get this team inspired for Indy!

zulater
10-22-2014, 08:17 AM
What the Steelers need to do is keep Luck off the field. If you can get Bell and Blount about 40 carries between them and run for 150+ yards you might keep Luck out of rhythm.

Moose
10-22-2014, 08:23 AM
We saw the damage the Steelers are capable of in just 3 minutes when playing inspired.

Ben, Brown, Bell, Heyward, Timmons and Shazam....Let's get this team inspired for Indy!

That's what it will take, because Tomlin can't ever get this team pumped and prepared for a game !!

Dwinsgames
10-22-2014, 08:45 AM
If we go into this game with 1 weapon at WR like we have most weeks in 2014 we are DONE before we start ......

not trying to be doom and gloom , BUT

1) we are not a very good team

2) we are predictable in the passing game because thus far we have had just 1 true outside weapon

A win is not an impossibility but it is an improbability unless a totally different team shows up to play this Sunday , a team we have not seen in some time ( dating back a few years )

* as a side note Emanuel Sanders is the 10th leading receiver in the league with an Elite QB getting him the ball in his first year in their system ( something that usually stunts the growth of a WR in the 1st season of a new system ) so can we finally let the Ben is Elite thing die ???

Ben is a really good player that is highly competitive and can do some things others can not , but lets not confuse that with being Elite and save that word for the truly special players of the game

X-Terminator
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
The one thing they CAN do, though, is run the football. Against an aggressive pressure defense like the Colts have, it is invaluable. It's their road to victory IMO. If Ben has to throw more than 25 passes in this game, the Steelers will lose.

As for Ben himself, I still believe he is an elite quarterback who has yet to have his talents fully utilized. If he played in a similar offense that Manning does, he'd put up elite numbers for sure. He's really that good.

tube517
10-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Colts defense have allowed 4 of 41 third down conversions in the last 4 games.

Dwinsgames
10-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Bell could be the difference maker in that area for us , he is a multi dimensional back and very dangerous in the passing game esp in the 4-8 yard range and should permit us to be decent on 3rd down vs a def that often times over commits to rushing the passer ...

Bell will have to be HUGE in this one or we have little to no chance like XT said

Steeltreal
10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Oh the Hurt of having 3 Colts on your Fantasy team. Im 7-0, so they've been benched.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Ben was completing 70% of his passes and aren't we averaging about 5 ypc on the ground?

So it sounds like we are effective both passing and running.

I think with better play calling we can get plenty of first downs, control the ball, the clock and the scorebard.

Shoes
10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Hire Snoop Dogg as OC!

Drazo85
10-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Hire Snoop Dogg as OC!

Bell and Blount would love that. :chuckle:

Edman
10-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Two brutal games coming up. Colts and Ravens coming to Pittsburgh back-to-back.

The first legitimately good teams the Steelers will face this year.

That said, If the Steelers come out lethargic like they have been these past couple games, this game will be sealed by halftime.

Renegade
10-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Was anybody else impressed with bryce mccain? he made andre johnson disappear! If he can do that to wayne or hilton while the other is covered in zone options with polumalu, I think the pass rush can be disruptive. Harrison, Keisel, Timmons need to bring the lumber and punish andrew.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Was anybody else impressed with bryce mccain? he made andre johnson disappear! If he can do that to wayne or hilton while the other is covered in zone options with polumalu, I think the pass rush can be disruptive. Harrison, Keisel, Timmons need to bring the lumber and punish andrew.

have to think that his time playing for the texans helped him. he did say that he was able to read the play where he got a pick 6 against the jaguars right away because of the time he spent in the AFC South.

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Yes, McCain played well. I'd like to see him continue to get the start.

Crow-Magnon
10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
It seem whenever the Ravens play the Colts (Manning, Luck, whoever), their defense is rather pedestrian but all of a sudden they play lights out. Their D was ok at season's start, then they seemed to gel when Baltimore played at Indy and lost. And their defense is still playing tough. Which is bad, brutha, bad! when you couple it with that offense.

But they aren't invincible. Keep the score close and the game is winnable.

fansince'76
10-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Was anybody else impressed with bryce mccain? he made andre johnson disappear!

Yep, I was impressed. It seemed like every time Cortez tried to cover AJ, he got abused.

one side only
10-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Nuggets of info to consider:

Ahmad Bradshaw currently has the third-highest fumble rate in the league for backs with at least 50 carries, while Trent Richardon (who didn't practice Wednesday, by the way) has the eighth-highest rate. The Colts have more rushing fumbles than any team in the league.

Steelers are 29th in Football Outsiders Receiving DVOA allowed to tight ends. The Colts have a pretty good pair of tight ends in Dwayne Allen & Coby Fleener.

The Colts are are just 30th in run defense DVOA and 31st in receiving DVOA against running backs. Le'Veon should have a good day.

Shoes
10-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Nuggets of info to consider:

Ahmad Bradshaw currently has the third-highest fumble rate in the league for backs with at least 50 carries, while Trent Richardon (who didn't practice Wednesday, by the way) has the eighth-highest rate. The Colts have more rushing fumbles than any team in the league.

Steelers are 29th in Football Outsiders Receiving DVOA allowed to tight ends. The Colts have a pretty good pair of tight ends in Dwayne Allen & Coby Fleener.

The Colts are are just 30th in run defense DVOA and 31st in receiving DVOA against running backs. Le'Veon should have a good day.

Here's another.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/23/reggie-wayne-misses-practice-for-second-straight-day/

one side only
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I actually hope Wayne plays, especially if he isn't 100%. He appears to have gotten old quickly. He had two drops last week against Cincy.

zulater
10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Yep, I was impressed. It seemed like every time Cortez tried to cover AJ, he got abused.

Cortez is in a funk. I don't think he could cover my mother at the moment. I think the problem has gone from his body to between his ears if you know what I mean.

Count Steeler
10-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Cortez is in a funk. I don't think he could cover my mother at the moment. I think the problem has gone from his body to between his ears if you know what I mean.

And that is the toughest problem to overcome. It's easy to tape an ankle or a wrist, but once you start doubting yourself, it is a slippery slope. Hope he can get on track soon.

st33lersguy
10-23-2014, 07:12 PM
The Colts are not unbeatable, but they Steelers are going to have to play a lot better than they have all year. Our pass defense is a mismatch against Luck and the pass O, and their defense is capable of holding the O in check, especially in the redzone. Keep in mind the Steelers have played only one team that can be considered about as good as the Colts and that was the Ravens. It is a scenario where the Steelers will have to play their best game and the Colts will have to be playing below what they are capable of

KeiselPower99
10-23-2014, 09:07 PM
I think the defense will continue to give up yards as the NFL has become the Arena League as of late. However it is all about stops and I can see us getting a few here and there. Offensively we have not been great but we have been moving the ball. I am buying into the power of the bumblebees this week and say it I think Steelers win 27-17 and we will have ourselves a winning streak.

one side only
10-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Additional nuggets of info, courtesy of Dale Lolley: http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Of Indianapolis' 19 touchdown passes this season, 14 have gone to the running backs and tight ends.
Though Pittsburgh has allowed just 10 touchdown passes this season, six of those have gone to opposing running backs and tight ends.

T.Y. Hilton is a threat, but Dwayne Allen may be the difference maker.

Steelman
10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
If Cortez was playing lights-out right now, I'd give our defense a fighting chance. But with him suddenly forgetting how to cover anyone, and lack of a decent pass rush, I think Luck will run wild. We're going to have to score a ton of points to keep up.

one side only
10-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Reggie Wayne, out; Trent Richardson, questionable. Wayne has been targeted on about 20% of pass attempts. Steelers must be physical with TY Hilton and keep close to Dwayne Allen.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Additional nuggets of info, courtesy of Dale Lolley: http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Of Indianapolis' 19 touchdown passes this season, 14 have gone to the running backs and tight ends.
Though Pittsburgh has allowed just 10 touchdown passes this season, six of those have gone to opposing running backs and tight ends.

T.Y. Hilton is a threat, but Dwayne Allen may be the difference maker.

Opposing TEs have killed us for years. I think that's a big reason that Shazier was drafted. I thought that Spence would help with covering TEs also with his speed but he hasn't done a real good job of it.

Allen and Fleener are going to tear us up.

zulater
10-26-2014, 01:11 PM
The Colts are better on offense, defense and special teams than the Steelers. Also are better prepared and coached. The Steelers only chance is that the Colts take this game for granted, and after they watch film on the Steelers recent games that is a strong possibility. And if that happens we'll still need the ball to bounce our way. Throw in a couple bad calls going the way of the Steelers and we might have a chance. To keep it close. . My final predcition Colts 38- 27. And the score will be closer than the game played. Hope like hell I'm wrong.

Count Steeler
10-26-2014, 05:42 PM
I think our D comes up big. I liked the amount of communication I saw out on the field. Looks like the guys are starting to come together. Now if McCullers supplants Thomas, we just might get on a roll.

Steelers 35 Colts 24

Well, I almost had the half time score right.

X-Terminator
10-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Lucky or not, I'll take the W. And in fact, I'm going on record right now and predict that they will find a way to beat the Colts next week. For some reason, the Steelers often find a way to win games they have no business winning.

Thank you Steelers for rewarding my faith in you.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2014, 07:24 PM

stone cold prediction

Count Steeler
10-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Trick is, how do we get this team to play Tampa Bay?

zulater
10-26-2014, 07:49 PM
being totally honest, i think the steelers can smash the colts. the game against the ravens which is so important, never seems to go our way in prime time. ratbirds always win under the lights. i dont know why, but it seems the ravens either smash us or we barely win. with this being said, the steelers must win the next 2 games. a blowout vs indy (30-14) and a walk off fg vs baltimore (20-17).

Bravo! :applaudit:
Good call Renegade. Even though you were way off on the score! :wink02: :lol:

fansince'76
10-26-2014, 07:51 PM

Like I said...

zulater
10-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Like I said...

Where's that pat yourself on the back emot when you need it? :chuckle: :wink02: Good call! :applaudit:

st33lersguy
10-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Trick is, how do we get this team to play the soon to be 1-8 Jets and the Titans?

Fixed it. Tampa Bay is the past

steel9guy
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Huge win beating this team that beat cincy and baltimore. Instantly put us back in the mix for the division. Not sure if I'm going to buy in until I see a few more performances.

polamalubeast
10-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I am glad that I was wrong!...Congratulations to Ben and all the offense for their 51 points!

But the key will be consistency in the coming weeks

steel striker
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Huge win and, what a game for Ben & the entire offense. Unreal!!!

GoSlash27
10-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Our offense is humming along pretty well now, but the defense isn't there yet.