PDA

View Full Version : Benching could help cornerback Cortez Allen

stillers4me
10-17-2014, 06:25 PM
The Steelers signed cornerback Cortez Allen to a five-year, $25 million dollar contract on the eve of the season opener. Seven weeks later, they have benched him and will start free-agent signing Brice McCain Monday night against the Houston Texans.

McCain was signed to a one-year, $730,000 contract in the spring after spending his first five seasons with the Texans.
It’s the second time in as many seasons the Steelers have demoted Allen for ineffective play................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/17/Steelers-notebook-Benching-could-help-cornerback-Cortez-Allen/stories/201410170112

zulater
10-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I think it will. No doubt in my mind that the ability is there. Just like when Cowher benched Ike Taylor he came back to become the player he should have been, I think the same will happen here.

GBMelBlount
10-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Is it me or does this team seem to have a knack for sucking the excellence out of young talent in recent years.

zulater
10-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Is it me or does this team seem to have a knack for sucking the excellence out of young talent in recent years.

I just hope they don't destroy LeVeon Bell.

GBMelBlount
10-17-2014, 07:50 PM
I just hope they don't destroy LeVeon Bell.

Bell has played lights out this year.

I honestly think all of the pieces for a great offense are there.

It is very frustrating to see so much talent ostensibly being wasted.

Who knows, maybe in a few more games the lights will turn on.

With regard to Allen, hopefully he just needs a little more experience to be a consistent performer.

st33lersguy
10-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Allen is a waste, potential is meaningless when you don't use any of it

ALLD
10-18-2014, 07:56 AM
He has good periods and better hands than Ike, but also gives up a lot. Reminds me of Billy Gay when he got trampled by AP. A good back up that needs more seasoning.

Shoes
10-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Allen reminds me of Adams and Worilds in the mental makeup department. What you see and hear in the interviews, that calm, sleepy, deer in the headlight air doesn't seem to change on the field.

fansince'76
10-18-2014, 10:43 AM

With all due respect, I think it's just you. AB is a top-5 WR. Bell is rapidly becoming one of the better RBs in the game and is already by far the best RB this team has had since Bettis. Mendenhall and Sweed were both headcases. Woodley got fat and lazy after he got paid. Worilds was nothing special to begin with. They completely whiffed with the Ziggy hood pick, not to mention the rest of the 2009 and the entire 2008 draft.

Mojouw
10-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Allen is still only 25 years old. He could develop into any kind of player he chooses to. At this point it is on him. I'm sure the mental adjustments to being the #1 CB are big - right now too big for Allen. Hopefully he can correct that.

Even if he never develops beyond a solid #2 corner, that isn't bad for 4th round pick out of the Citadel.

GBMelBlount
10-19-2014, 02:59 PM
With all due respect, I think it's just you. AB is a top-5 WR.

Bell is rapidly becoming one of the better RBs in the game and is already by far the best RB this team has had since Bettis.

Mendenhall and Sweed were both headcases. Woodley got fat and lazy after he got paid. Worilds was nothing special to begin with.

They completely whiffed with the Ziggy hood pick, not to mention the rest of the 2009 and the entire 2008 draft.

We've had hundreds of players come through our system since Tomlin has been here so I think your sampling size is a bit small to prove your points

Overall this team has looked looked terrible both individually and collectively the last several years and I put the blame squarely on the coaches shoulder.

With an average QB we would be 4-12 the last 3 years.

So while I always respect you and your opinion we will have to agree to disagree as to what we feel the main problem is.

I know we both hope the Steelers turn it around in the 2nd half of the season.