PDA

View Full Version : Ward: Blame Ben, not Haley

MrPgh
10-16-2014, 09:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/16/ward-blame-roethlisberger-not-haley/

At a time when calls are increasing (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/13/calls-mount-for-steelers-to-can-todd-haley/) for offensive coordinator Todd Haley to hit the road, Ward says that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger) deserves plenty of blame — especially as it relates to the implementation of the no-huddle offense that Roethlisberger wanted to use more extensively.

“I put the blame on Ben Roethlisberger,” Ward said on Wednesday’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN. “Todd Haley’s not calling the plays [in the no-huddle], Ben is.”

Oh Hines, how horribly misguided you are on this one....

The Bark
10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I love Hines, but is he watching the games with both eyes? Anyone have stats as to how much the no huddle is actually run? Without straining my brain, I'd say 20% or less and when the opposing team has a double-digit lead in the second half. The offense in the first quarter since the opening game looks like it's going through the motions. This last game, they looked like they wanted to win the time of possession and not the game - something that backfires when you're putting 3 (when you're kicker isn't missing them) on the board instead of 6. The one play that sticks out in my mind last week was 3rd and short (1? 2?) and Ben fakes a hand off to the FB and then pitches it to Bell who's 8 yards deep from the line of scrimmage at that point. That's all Haley.

slippy
10-16-2014, 11:48 AM
not to nitpick, but that play was going for at least ten yards if heath makes his block ... even miller has a rotten game.

everything else you posted i agree with!

SteelMember
10-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Ben may be calling the plays, but Haley is putting the personnel on the field. 3rd and short with an empty backfield is not a no huddle decision. At least 3 times we attempted to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field in short yardage situations. Forcing the defense into dime with no threat of a run isn't really going to put any doubt in their heads.

MrPgh
10-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Ben may be calling the plays, but Haley is putting the personnel on the field. 3rd and short with an empty backfield is not a no huddle decision. At least 3 times we attempted to throw the ball more than 10 yards down field in short yardage situations. Forcing the defense into dime with no threat of a run isn't really going to put any doubt in their heads.

Actually, no he isn't. Watch closely when the Steelers go into the "no-huddle." Ben usually puts his head on his helmet as if he's trying to hear a call come in. That's why the Steelers "no-huddle" is so slow, Haley wants to call the plays.

zulater
10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Ward has never been a big fan of Ben's. Think it might have something to do with Ben always going on about wanting the big body receiver, like Plax. Also just a little position jealousy in my opinion. Remember when Ward called Ben out out for missing a Raven game with a concussion? In retrospect with what we've learned about concussions since then, Hines came off as an ass there. I think he's doing the same here.

tube517
10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.seesinc.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/elevatorMusic.jpg :chuckle:

SteelMember
10-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Actually, no he isn't. Watch closely when the Steelers go into the "no-huddle." Ben usually puts his head on his helmet as if he's trying to hear a call come in. That's why the Steelers "no-huddle" is so slow, Haley wants to call the plays.

I'm sure you meant to say hand, so I understand what you're saying. I'm sure Haley has his suggestion (believe Ben even admitted as much), but Ben ultimately gets the decision WHEN those opportunities present themselves in the no huddle.

Craic
10-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Well, most of the time when it's a short yardage situation, if you play it as a short yardage situation, it gives the defenders the change to only defend two or three yards, which is a lot easier than defending ten or fifteen yards. I'm all for playing a short yardage situation on third down just like any other down. It makes you less predictable.

Now, as far as executing, and call the right medium distance play, that's a different discussion.

SteelMember
10-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, most of the time when it's a short yardage situation, if you play it as a short yardage situation, it gives the defenders the change to only defend two or three yards, which is a lot easier than defending ten or fifteen yards. I'm all for playing a short yardage situation on third down just like any other down. It makes you less predictable.

Now, as far as executing, and call the right medium distance play, that's a different discussion.

That is basically what I'm trying to say. Put a formation out there that at least has the threat of run even if you call a pass.

MrPgh
10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm sure you meant to say hand, so I understand what you're saying. I'm sure Haley has his suggestion (believe Ben even admitted as much), but Ben ultimately gets the decision WHEN those opportunities present themselves in the no huddle.

I believe Ben's "decision" is limited to two play calls that come in from Haley.

fansince'76
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Eight passes in the first half against Cleveland until we got into a 3-TD hole. Eight. Ben wasn't calling that shit.

And it's really no surprise as Ward has been taking potshots at Ben for years in the media.

blackngldblood
10-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Eight passes in the first half against Cleveland until we got into a 3-TD hole. Eight. Ben wasn't calling that shit.

And it's really no surprise as Ward has been taking potshots at Ben for years in the media.

Maybe somebody should remind Ward that, like him personally or not, Hines isn't showing off two super bowl rings without Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
I believe Ben's "decision" is limited to two play calls that come in from Haley.

Agree that in most cases, the selection of plays Ben is calling in that no huddle is ultimately coming from Haley.

MrPgh
10-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Haley just admitted yesterday he calls about 73% of the plays while Ben calls about 27% of them.

fansince'76
10-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Haley just admitted yesterday he calls about 73% of the plays while Ben calls about 27% of them.

That would explain why the offense is only effective about 1/4 of the time...

tube517
10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Hines and Cowher are now part of the media and ratings are the name of the game. So, all this "elevator music" should be no surprise.

SteelMember
10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
So if Ben calls a play that was sent in, and Ben has the green light to change the play, but doesn't... who's play was it again?

Successful = Ben, Unsuccessful = Haley, right?!?!

steel striker
10-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Yep well documented that Ward has never liked Ben.

Edman
10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Redzone Woes.

Mediocre Offense.

Two different coordinators. The same issues. One Constant: Ben.

It's not like Ben has been lighting the world on fire and Haley is tripping him up. Ben's play has been nothing but average for most of these six weeks. To no one's surprise, the Offense is average. Again. Haley is not blameless though. Both of them are a part of the problem, and only both of them can fix it.

But it's easy to blame the OC instead of actually examining the situation and getting to the problem.

SteelMember
10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Anyone else notice Ben's arm angle on his release? Looks a lot more sidearm as of late.

:stirthepot:

fansince'76
10-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Mediocre Offense.

Two different coordinators. The same issues. One Constant: Ben.

And neither one of them will ever be confused with Bill Walsh.

It's not like Ben has been lighting the world on fire and Haley is tripping him up. Ben's play has been nothing but average for most of these six weeks.

I guess, considering his QB rating has been under 100 twice and his completion percentage has been under 70% three whole times all season. Although Ben has had a couple of poor outings of late, Haley also doesn't do him any favors by calling all of eight passes in twenty-seven minutes of the first half until we're down by 3 TDs either.

But it's easy to blame the OC instead of actually examining the situation and getting to the problem.

Yeah, but we all know which one you'll blame...

fansince'76
10-17-2014, 12:37 PM

I guess that's why we often run the play clock down to zero despite being in "no-huddle," which kinda defeats the purpose of the "no-huddle" to begin with, no?

zulater
10-17-2014, 12:39 PM
I think we all underestimated how much the loss of Sanders and Cotcherty was going to mean. What was that 16 touchdowns catches between them? A lot of those were in the red zone. Just don't get the sense that Ben is on the same page as Wheaton, Brown or Moore.

Drazo85
10-17-2014, 12:44 PM
No Ben means two lombardi trophies less for the franchise. I dont get it, you want to get rid of a player who is basically our only chance winning it all in the next few years. Everybody here wants Steelers to win, so please find me three younger QBs in the NFL who would take us to Superbowl with this team an coaching staff. Good LUCK with that.

steel striker
10-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Also I'm sure most teams say if Ben can't throw to AB the steelers are in deep trouble.

vader29
10-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I still blame Haley.

http://i60.tinypic.com/e86eyw.jpg