PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin uses news conference to challenge his players

Devilsdancefloor
10-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin uses his weekly news conference to send motivating messages to players, to massage their egos, to give them confidence, to lay out the theme of the week.

This time, he's doing something he rarely does: He's calling them out.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6952820-74/tomlin-players-games#ixzz3GHYwBe00

steelreserve
10-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Honestly, he just sounds like a barking dog at this point.

Unleash hell, dude.

Steeldude
10-16-2014, 03:06 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin uses his weekly news conference to send motivating messages to players, to massage their egos, to give them confidence, to lay out the theme of the week.

This time, he's doing something he rarely does: He's calling them out.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6952820-74/tomlin-players-games#ixzz3GHYwBe00

I guess we will see what happens Monday.

The Steelers are 3-3. Things could be worse. Personally though, I feel the way they have played is below .500. I think if it doesn't improve after Monday night then a few benchings could be in store. Some due to poor/ineffective play and perhaps some just to shake things up. For example, Moore in place of Wheaton, and possibly Harrison being given the start with either Moats or Worilds getting benched.

86WARD
10-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah. Tomlin is ALL talk.

GBMelBlount
10-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Proper coaching and motivation on a daily basis MIGHT be a little more effective.

Hopefully with the additional public embarrassment we will at least see an up "blip" this week.

Devilsdancefloor
10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
im kind of hoping he does more benching of coaches, but who knows if they lose monday he will tell us all we didnt do our jobs. As far as harrison replacing anyone go watch the stains game he made me angry out of place not what i am used to seeing with him

SteelerFanInStl
10-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah. Tomlin is ALL talk.
Yep. I don't even read what he says any more because it's always the same crap and we never see any action.

Shoes
10-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Nothing Tomlin says is going to stick, maybe a game or two but history(and Tomlin's makeup) says it will go back to business as usual.

salamander
10-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Nothing will change. Tomlin has proven over and over again to be nothing but talk. :ranger:

GBMelBlount
10-16-2014, 08:17 AM
im kind of hoping he does more benching of coaches, but who knows if they lose monday he will tell us all we didnt do our jobs. As far as harrison replacing anyone go watch the stains game he made me angry out of place not what i am used to seeing with him

Not sure we can continually blame the coaches under Tomlin.

Tomlin sets the tone imo and is responsible for properly managing the coaches.

My gut is that a lot of these problems are due to Tomlin's (relative) youth and inexperience.

Hiring Tomlin as head coach (with his limited experience) is arguably like hiring a community organizer to run a country.

Moose
10-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Okay, that's pathetic Tomlin. What the hell does doing it in the media prove ? I think getting into some ass in private....say maybe the locker room, or team meeting, may have meant more. Where he can spit, throw shit, cuss, point fingers to the person he's referring to, and so on. Drop names and bring that player on the carpet. We all know the players that are/aren't doing their jobs, and the player's who just aren't NFL caliber. Looks like Tomlin is just showing the media and fans, " Hey, look what I'm doing !", which is still nothing. Talking crap won't make anyone play with desire or purpose. Another poor coaching decision. Captain Smoke and Bullshit.

Mojouw
10-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Look, I have lost a ton of faith and Tomlin and this staff as well. Totally frustrating because their are 3 former head coaches on the staff, plus the actual head coach.

But the leaps in logic that are found here daily are just getting crazy. How does one take the fact that Tomlin is finally making public comments regarding specific player performance as evidence that he is not chewing them out in private as well. I doubt the Steelers locker room is all sunshine and rainbows currently.

Additionally, not trying to be a jerk at all, I fail to understand what people expect Tomlin, the coaches, and the players to say to the media? Go read or watch other teams' post game or weekly press conferences. Win or lose. Good team or bad. Old coach or young coach. They almost all say different versions of the same thing. Most of which is totally in line with Tomlin's "cliches", "b.s." and "just talk". "Obviously", Tomlin says different exact phrases, but it is all vague media-speak nonsense.

What is it that we are all expecting to hear? Should Tomlin come out and say this:

"Before I take questions I just want to release next week's practice schedule. It is pretty simple. The players will be running until they puke. Then the trainers will ensure that these young men are properly hydrated, and they will run until the pass out. Then it will be tackling and blocking drills until they can't stand up anymore. Also I am taking away the video games and ping pong table. But fooseball stays. James Harrison really likes it, and he scares the hell out of me. Also I would like to announce the promotion of Joey Porter to Assistant Head Coach in charge of beating players who don't execute their assignments properly."

Moose
10-16-2014, 12:07 PM
To comment on a few of your replies Mojo, the fact Tomlin is making a public comment isn't evidence that he is or isn't chewing any player out privately. You or I will never know. But him coming out to the media means nothing to me since I've heard and seen his meaningless bullshit for a long time now ( every Monday), with no improvements to the team or coaching. To me, the locker room may not be sunshine and rainbows, but more like a neutral zone where player's just shower, change clothes and go home. What do I expect Tomlin to say to the Media ? Nothing. The work on the field for 60 minutes pretty much says it all for me. The team is not prepared or motivated, the plays are not executed because of lack of preparedness, the coaches are calling plays that make no sense at times, etc.. Tomlin doesn't need to come out and blow his bullshit, just go home. Do you really need him to tell you that they just didn't execute well ? Worried about other teams post game statements ? What the hell do I care what other teams have to say ? But I'm pretty sure that if a winning organization takes a nose dive for 3-4 yrs, there will be a change of coaches making speeches, whether it be HC or assistants. Although I do like your idea with Joey Porter !

MrPgh
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Proper coaching and motivation on a daily basis MIGHT be a little more effective.

Hopefully with the additional public embarrassment we will at least see an up "blip" this week.

I think it's come to the point where Tomlin isn't the guy who can motivate this team anymore. He's been their buddy for too long. Can't be the players' buddy then go to calling them out and expecting them to respect that.

SteelMember
10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
"They will critically evaluate the tape." Sheesh. That would normally be a good starting point.

The challenge was him not discounting the shake up of the game day roster. Potentially giving other 'starters in waiting' more snaps because of poor play by others. Like treating playing time is a great method of motivation for a guy that's going to get paid either way. That's just putting it all back on them to give a shit. It may test their heart, but won't improve their skills... but that's Mike. More psychiatrist than teacher.

ALLD
10-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Vince Lombardi, Tomlin is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmqA6Cwg0wg

GBMelBlount
10-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Look, I have lost a ton of faith and Tomlin and this staff as well. Totally frustrating because their are 3 former head coaches on the staff, plus the actual head coach.

But the leaps in logic that are found here daily are just getting crazy. How does one take the fact that Tomlin is finally making public comments regarding specific player performance as evidence that he is not chewing them out in private as well. I doubt the Steelers locker room is all sunshine and rainbows currently.

Is there anything that you have heard that leads you to believe that Tomlin is tough on the players?

I find it hard to believe that Tomlin is hard on the players in private and we just never hear about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's come to the point where Tomlin isn't the guy who can motivate this team anymore. He's been their buddy for too long.

Can't be the players' buddy then go to calling them out and expecting them to respect that.

Sounds like the same challenge parents have.

smokin3000gt
10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Is there anything that you have heard that leads you to believe that Tomlin is tough on the players?

I find it hard to believe that Tomlin is hard on the players in private and we just never hear about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the same challenge parents have.

Is there anything you've heard that leads to believe Tomlin is soft and buddy buddy with the players? I'm asking because that seems to be the consensus among steeler fans.

All I hear (speaking generally here, not directed at you GB) is how players don't respect Tomlin because he is their buddy rather than coach (Remember when coach momlin was the word of the day?). Did I miss where Tomlin rounds up the boys for a night out on the town and titty bars? Or is it just because Tomlin isn't spitting in peoples faces and grabbing them by the face mask during the game? He has more of a laid back style of coaching than Cowher but that doesn't mean he doesn't hold his players accountable or that he's BFF's with everyone in the locker room. Just wondering if I'm missing something is all.

muncher
10-16-2014, 06:11 PM
he's lost control and knows it.
grasping at straws now

Mojouw
10-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Why? Because Tomlin's demeanor doesn't fit into a preconceived notion about what a "disciplinarian" is?

Pete Carroll is by all accounts a "players coach" -- does that mean he is never hard on his players? I don't understand the idea that these two things are mutually exclusive?

Just because everyones high school football coach was a mean s.o.b doesn't mean that is the only way to be.

Craic
10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
This reminds me of the thread about how Tomlin doesn't spit on the sidelines as he yells a la Cowher, and thus, he's not as good of a coach.

Anyone else remember that thread?

fansince'76
10-16-2014, 07:37 PM
What is it that we are all expecting to hear? Should Tomlin come out and say this:

"Before I take questions I just want to release next week's practice schedule. It is pretty simple. The players will be running until they puke. Then the trainers will ensure that these young men are properly hydrated, and they will run until the pass out. Then it will be tackling and blocking drills until they can't stand up anymore. Also I am taking away the video games and ping pong table. But fooseball stays. James Harrison really likes it, and he scares the hell out of me. Also I would like to announce the promotion of Joey Porter to Assistant Head Coach in charge of beating players who don't execute their assignments properly."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ALLD
10-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Tomlin has a bunch of undisciplined kids running around doing whatever. They also look like they play by a script and once derailed from the game plan they never get back on track. Looks like they are trying to stick to choreography rather than trying to win.

Shoes
10-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes, what do Ward and Cowher or any fan who critiques the grand wizard know? We're all *on the outside looking in*

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin has a bunch of undisciplined kids running around doing whatever. They also look like they play by a script and once derailed from the game plan they never get back on track. Looks like they are trying to stick to choreography rather than trying to win.

They are following the example of their head coach.

Dwinsgames
10-16-2014, 07:48 PM
shitty move ...

but ya know perhaps that is half the problem he is not man enough to say what he has to say face to face ?

it also has the feel of a man deeply concerned about his job and publicly is making it known he isnt taking it lightly ( even though this public outcry may be his only outcry ) but it may help land him another shot elsewhere if let go here ...

hey now we are throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks ... sound familiar Soundbyte Mike ?

st33lersguy
10-16-2014, 08:01 PM
:ranger:

smokin3000gt
10-16-2014, 08:03 PM
shitty move ...

but ya know perhaps that is half the problem he is not man enough to say what he has to say face to face ?

I don't think it would have served him well to go up there and sugarcoat the answers either. What makes you think he would say something to the camera and not to the players?

86WARD
10-16-2014, 09:04 PM
So McCain to start over Allen?

Dwinsgames
10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't think it would have served him well to go up there and sugarcoat the answers either. What makes you think he would say something to the camera and not to the players?

I think you will find the answer in the part you forgot to quote ...

hey now we are throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks ... sound familiar Soundbyte Mike ?

fansince'76
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Dick LeBeau All But Says Brice McCain Will Start Over Cortez Allen Monday Night
(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-week-7-depth-chart-brice-mccain-cortez-allen-dick-lebeau-texans/)
But I'm sure this will be the wrong move/won't be enough if it does happen anyway...

tube517
10-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Dick LeBeau All But Says Brice McCain Will Start Over Cortez Allen Monday Night
(http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/steelers-week-7-depth-chart-brice-mccain-cortez-allen-dick-lebeau-texans/)
But I'm sure this will be the wrong move/won't be enough if it does happen anyway...

Mitchell's injured. Shamarko (and Shazier) had limited practice. Could be a whole different look in the secondary on Monday night.

86WARD
10-17-2014, 04:35 AM
And Andre Johnson, whose been dormant all season, will have a 2014 breakout game.

Who is the Texans QB? No need for names now...he'll be a household name come
Tuesday morning.

tube517
10-17-2014, 11:04 AM
So McCain to start over Allen?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000412187/article/pittsburgh-steelers-bench-cortez-allen

I'm not expecting Brice McCain to be Rod Woodson and completely shut down his WR. But, Cortex needed to be benched and hopefully learn like Ike did.

fansince'76
11-03-2014, 06:50 AM
he's lost control and knows it.
grasping at straws now

Yep, he sure has... :coffee: