PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Cowher, Ward call team 'soft'

polamalubeast
10-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Even the alumni are upset.

Not since Dwight White derided one version of a 1980s Steelers defense as “soft and cheesy” has a former Steelers player or coach leveled such criticism as two did Sunday. It came after the Steelers lost in Cleveland, 31-10, and it came hard and tight from both who described them in similar ways.

“I never thought I would say these words,” former coach Bill Cowher said on CBS-TV, “but Pittsburgh has gotten soft.” He called them “finesse on offense, soft on defense.”

He was not alone. Hines Ward, their all-time leading receiver, chimed in on NBC-TV.

“They’re very close to hitting that panic button … The defense looks soft. Guys are just able to run the ball up and down the field. I look at their personnel; they can’t cover anybody in the secondary. Offensively, I thought I’d never say it, but the Steelers are a finesse offense right now. I don’t even know who these guys are.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/14/On-the-Steelers-Hard-Words-Steelers-Soft/stories/201410140117

fansince'76
10-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Good. That's all it is. They're both talking heads now.

one side only
10-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Tomlin's comments at today's press conference (like many others before it) shows he's nothing more than a talking head as well. Those must be very large stones McCullers and Bryant have been under.

zulater
10-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Good. That's all it is. They're both talking heads now.

Maybe. But they do have a point. Hard to dispute their opinion based on the last 3 games.

dislocatedday
10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Tomlin's comments at today's press conference (like many others before it) shows he's nothing more than a talking head as well. Those must be very large stones McCullers and Bryant have been under.

I thought Tomlin's comments were near perfect today. He said he respects those guys (Ward and Cowher), but that they are on the outside looking in, and that he is only concerned with the significant issues affecting the team in the locker room. He also called out Jason Worilds, not in a totally negative way, but pointed out that he is being paid to consistently produce and that he has not been living up to the paycheck he is earning. He hinted at Brice McCain getting more time in the secondary as well at Martavis Bryant suiting up.

I'm not saying Tomlin has been perfect, but he handled the media well today I thought. I don't think he blindly thinks everything is perfect with this team either, but they are 3-3 and certainly not out of it at this point, although they do have to start improving their overall play quickly IMO if they want to have a shot at the post-season.

tube517
10-14-2014, 01:12 PM
I thought Tomlin's comments were near perfect today. He said he respects those guys (Ward and Cowher), but that they are on the outside looking in, and that he is only concerned with the significant issues affecting the team in the locker room. He also called out Jason Worilds, not in a totally negative way, but pointed out that he is being paid to consistently produce and that he has not been living up to the paycheck he is earning. He hinted at Brice McCain getting more time in the secondary as well at Martavis Bryant suiting up.

I'm not saying Tomlin has been perfect, but he handled the media well today I thought. I don't think he blindly thinks everything is perfect with this team either, but they are 3-3 and certainly not out of it at this point, although they do have to start improving their overall play quickly IMO if they want to have a shot at the post-season.

I'm not a Tomlin hater but I'm not happy with the way things are right now. But, the one thing that I really don't like is his "hints" of others getting playing time. In 2009, he "hinted" at DBs getting benched (can't remember the game) but nothing came of it. I think Joe Burnett got in 2 series in the next game and that was it. Take their asses out and put in somebody else. If you really go back to the "lab", find the right mixture. Don't just mix CO2 a thousand times and expect helium to suddenly appear.

one side only
10-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Tomlin handled the media very well; talking remains his primary strength. He deftly dodged DK's question about gameplanning being part of the problem in the red zone, and later declared there will be no sweeping changes, but he will look under stones for players.

vader29
10-14-2014, 01:18 PM

one side only
10-14-2014, 01:26 PM

That is no BS; that is straight fire. Obviously.

MrPgh
10-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Tomlin talks the talk, but he can't walk the walk.

Shoes
10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

And a very arrogant one at that.

NCSteeler
10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
turning stones unleashing hell, what ever. till I see some of these attempts to make things better, i'll assume he is just blowing smoke as usual

stillers4me
10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't know what earth shattering revelations people expect from sports interviews and press conferences.

86WARD
10-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Defending every rock in the yard.

st33lersguy
10-14-2014, 06:32 PM
They are soft

Hawkman
10-14-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't know what earth shattering revelations people expect from sports interviews and press conferences.

THIS!!

NCSteeler
10-15-2014, 07:25 AM

How about come prepared with a list of benchings. Maybe some real news about changes he would actually make.

Mojouw
10-16-2014, 09:28 AM
How about come prepared with a list of benchings. Maybe some real news about changes he would actually make.

"well, Dejan, that is good question. We have noticed in detailed film study that our run defense is getting gashed because we have the following 3 tendencies {list whatever they are}. As a result we will now be changing the defensive player rotations as follows {details here} and we will be redirecting our formations towards these concepts and schemes {elaborate drawings and details here}. I hope that this not only answers your question but provides our upcoming opponents with enough details to round out their scouting reports and film study. Thank you for you time."

C'mon. The NFL is a league where guys cover their mouths with play-sheets when making in game calls. This league is run by a bunch of paranoid secretive stressed out coaches. There is simply no way that a team or coach will provide more than vague generalities in any press conference ever. Even if things are going well, they won't talk about it because they want to use the play/concept again.

blackngldblood
10-16-2014, 04:12 PM
"well, Dejan, that is good question. We have noticed in detailed film study that our run defense is getting gashed because we have the following 3 tendencies {list whatever they are}. As a result we will now be changing the defensive player rotations as follows {details here} and we will be redirecting our formations towards these concepts and schemes {elaborate drawings and details here}. I hope that this not only answers your question but provides our upcoming opponents with enough details to round out their scouting reports and film study. Thank you for you time."

C'mon. The NFL is a league where guys cover their mouths with play-sheets when making in game calls. This league is run by a bunch of paranoid secretive stressed out coaches. There is simply no way that a team or coach will provide more than vague generalities in any press conference ever. Even if things are going well, they won't talk about it because they want to use the play/concept again.

You mean to tell me that all practices aren't open to the general public? We can't pay to go watch film with the players Monday through Friday? The nerve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heinz Hitman
10-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Exactly. Every coach is generic as hell with their press conferences. They do them because they HAVE to, not because they are trying to fill us in on what is going on. They all feel the need to be as secretive as possible, hoping they can pull anything at all over the opposition. I get tired of all of the Tomlinisms myself, but really - what is he going to say?