PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin on the Hot Seat?

Shoes
10-13-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure who Jason Cole is but he seems to indicate in the video that Tomlin may be having locker room problems. I'd like to know where he is getting his info.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2230112-mike-tomlin-on-hot-seat-could-be-first-steelers-head-coach-fired-since-1968

Steelerette
10-13-2014, 09:10 PM
While I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin's having locker room problems...

This guy sounds like speculation and probably doesn't know much more than you or I.

fansince'76
10-13-2014, 09:12 PM
This guy sounds like speculation and probably doesn't know much more than you or I.

This. These "journalists" seem to like to throw a bunch of crap at the wall and see what sticks.

Shoes
10-13-2014, 09:13 PM
While I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin's having locker room problems...

Could be, but he's spot on about the Rooneys (Dan & ArtII) Cant say I've heard anyone in the media say that. I guess he could be reading the threads here. :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Could be, but he's spot on about the Rooneys (Dan & ArtII)

Dozens of us right here have made the exact same points about the differences between ARII and Dan as he did.

Shoes
10-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Dozens of us right here have made the exact same points about the differences between ARII and Dan as he did.

Yes, I said that, but I don't recall anyone in the media saying that. They don't want to loose their parking spot, you know.

fansince'76
10-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes, I said that, but I don't recall anyone in the media saying that. They don't want to loose their parking spot, you know.

Sorry. I think you edited your post and added to it at the same time I was writing my reply. :chuckle:

Steelerette
10-13-2014, 09:21 PM
I suppose if there's a silver lining it's, that if this somehow burgeons into more widespread media speculation, it could put some pressure on the team to put some serious thought into it. Unless you're of the mindset that Tomlin is not our problem.

And for sure he's not the whole problem, but it's a fair assessment to say my patience with him is under some measure of strain.

muncher
10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
on any other team he would be

Dwinsgames
10-13-2014, 10:42 PM
if he wasnt on the hotseat entering the season he dam sure should be now and if he is not I must question the entire front offices mindset

Steelerette
10-13-2014, 11:11 PM
If the 80s didn't get Chuck Noll fired, well I guess that was 30 years ago (ouch!) but the ownership is patient perhaps to a fault.

Maybe they follow the Penguins' lead, replace the GM, and have the new GM make the call on coaching staff.

Actually replacing a GM midseason has got to be less disruptive than replacing coaching staff. Why not just can Colbert right away, hire on Phil Savage, and let him get to work planning what he wants to do the moment the offseason hits.

Moose
10-14-2014, 08:59 AM
if he wasnt on the hotseat entering the season he dam sure should be now and if he is not I must question the entire front offices mindset

i wasn't a big 'fire Tomlin' person, but I'm slowly turning that way. His seat should definitely be very warm. along with Colbert and a few others. I'm still wondering if he was the best man interviewed for the HC job, or maybe an example of the Rooney Rule. After 'years' of so called rebuilding with nothing to show for it, maybe the change of F.O. is needed. At this point can it be worse ?

Dwinsgames
10-14-2014, 09:42 AM
i wasn't a big 'fire Tomlin' person, but I'm slowly turning that way. His seat should definitely be very warm. along with Colbert and a few others. I'm still wondering if he was the best man interviewed for the HC job, or maybe an example of the Rooney Rule. After 'years' of so called rebuilding with nothing to show for it, maybe the change of F.O. is needed. At this point can it be worse ?

I think he absolutely had the best interview process , Tomlin is a very good speaker full of catch phrases , he talks a mighty good game ...

the problem is he seemingly talks a better game than he coaches , talks a better preparedness than he is able to set his team up to do... talk is his gift but when you do not back up the words spoken you slowly but surely tire of hearing it ...

if we the fans are tired of hearing the " talk" / excuses and catch phrases just think how tiresome it must be to be a player on the team dealing with it daily ..

his strength has always been catch phrases and media relations via those words , so he talked himself into the job ...

when it comes time to do something about the issues I just think he is at a loss of the basic know how to get it done ...

just my opinion of course

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
You're right on the money Dwins. Tomlin is a talker. He says all of the right things but can't back it up.

I'm tired of his talk.

Moose
10-14-2014, 10:30 AM
I think he absolutely had the best interview process , Tomlin is a very good speaker full of catch phrases , he talks a mighty good game ...

the problem is he seemingly talks a better game than he coaches , talks a better preparedness than he is able to set his team up to do... talk is his gift but when you do not back up the words spoken you slowly but surely tire of hearing it ...

if we the fans are tired of hearing the " talk" / excuses and catch phrases just think how tiresome it must be to be a player on the team dealing with it daily ..

his strength has always been catch phrases and media relations via those words , so he talked himself into the job ...

when it comes time to do something about the issues I just think he is at a loss of the basic know how to get it done ...

just my opinion of course

D, you're right on the full on bullshit talking he does. He's like a politician, which like you said, is probably how he got the job. I'm just sick and tired of listening to the crap every Monday. I hate politicians, so you know which way I'm leaning on this coaching staff. I think it's time for the Rooney family to step up and make some statements on what they intend to do to get this train wreck back on tracks. I just can't listen to Tomlin and the player's talk anymore. After 10 games ( 4 preseason 6 reg. season) it's plan to see they have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. Deserving of the cellar dwellar title, and soon butt of jokes from other teams, example Hoyer laughing. UGH

steel striker
10-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Tomlin could be on the hot seat if the steelers finish 8-8 but, some of his moves I question. We are not a knee jerk type of franshise and, look how Art & Dan stuck by Cowher through the thick and thin. So I guess we will see what happens after this year.

MrPgh
10-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Tomlin could be on the hot seat if the steelers finish 8-8 but, some of his moves I question. We are not a knee jerk type of franshise and, look how Art & Dan stuck by Cowher through the thick and thin. So I guess we will see what happens after this year.

Firing the head coach when he's missed the playoffs for three straight seasons and is clearly losing the locker room is no where close to being knee-jerk.

Heinz Hitman
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Evil Mike Tomlin Thinks so...

86WARD
10-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Evil Mike Tomlin Thinks so...

Lol. You gotta love Evil Mike Tomlin. So much better than the real
Thing.

The Bark
10-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Cole is a pretty good source I feel, having followed him the last seven or eight seasons. Here's the problem with Tomlin and I know how this works first hand because I've had it from underlings at work: Tomlin wants to be every player's friend rather than be their coach. You can't do both successfully. The employee I had who we tried to give a break as a supervisor was too interested in being chummy buds with his underlings and that works only so much. When the shit hits the fan, you can't count on him to DO THE THINGS NECESSARY to remedy the situation, which in turn, causes more problems to develop.

Tomlin has been all talk the last several years and I can wholeheartedly see where this can quickly become a locker-room issue. He talked about making changes a few years ago down the stretch...and didn't. He's continued to sound like a broken record of sound bytes without actually making any personnel changes - the only time he does is when an injury forces the issue. Simply put, you cannot run an organization like this, especially when players are putting forth effort in practice and see the hypocrisy and stubbornness week in and week out.

fansince'76
10-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Firing the head coach when he's missed the playoffs for three straight seasons and is clearly losing the locker room is no where close to being knee-jerk.

Firing a coach in midseason is and acting like we've already been mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture is. He hasn't missed them this season. Yet.

If the team manages to turn it around and wins the next 2 games against Houston and Indy, all this talk will cease and the media will be sucking off the Steelers again. Guaranteed. And I fully believe it is capable of doing so - the Carolina game proved it.

Steelerette
10-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Firing a coach in midseason is and acting like we've already been mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture is. He hasn't missed them this season. Yet.

If the team manages to turn it around and wins the next 2 games against Houston and Indy, all this talk will cease and the media will be sucking off the Steelers again. Guaranteed. And I fully believe it is capable of doing so - the Carolina game proved it.

Yeah. Even if Tomlin went out the next few weeks and showed us the worst time ever, I'm not an advocate of firing a major coach in the middle of a season.

But, firing the GM can be a lot less disruptive. That gives you a nice cushion to search for your next one, and let him start planning his offseason moves.

fansince'76
10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
But, firing the GM can be a lot less disruptive. That gives you a nice cushion to search for your next one, and let him start planning his offseason moves.

I can see that. Someone needs to be held accountable for the disastrous drafts of 2008 and 2009, which are largely why we're in the mess we're in now.

bayz101
10-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm fairly certain we could lose every game this season and he'd be back next year. I wouldn't be mad, either. We have a lot of work to do as a team and I simply do not believe the coaching is the issue.