PDA

View Full Version : Has the NFL figured out the Steelers Defense

Count Steeler
10-13-2014, 06:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000410478/Has-the-NFL-figured-out-the-Steelers-defense

Yes. The current personnel cannot execute for 60 minutes. Makes it easy on opposing QBs.

Dwinsgames
10-13-2014, 06:42 PM
no they have not , the problem is our own players are incapable of playing our true scheme , we do not have the proper bodies or minds or experience level to successfully play it .....

I fear we never will under Lebeau again , not because he cant coach it because by the time we acquire those pieces he will be dead or retired or fired

Steelerette
10-13-2014, 07:53 PM
The problem is the Steelers haven't figured out the Steelers Defense.

I can buy that you don't need elite corners when you have good safeties and a disruptive push at the LOS.

But it doesn't work when you are trying to run a 3-4 without a nose tackle.

At this point why not put in McCullers and see more Tuitt, because it can't get any worse.

On the same token, the defense had a bad second quarter against the Browns, that much is obvious. But if you erase that second quarter they scored 10 points, 7 off an INT + def. holding call. They only really drove for a field goal the whole rest of the game. The defense actually adjusted and you couldn't have asked a lot more from them after the half.

Now to that awful second quarter: one veritable TD drive... other two TDs came after long, long passes. This is where playing soft is going to hurt you - and when that bend-don't-break defense breaks a little too often, you see a quarter like that. Still, as frustrating as our defense is to watch, this doesn't happen too often to us.

Granted this was a horrific quarter that you really have to pin on the defense, in less extreme circumstances your offense has to overcome the occasional poor quarter by the defense. And the offense overcoming an occasional poor quarter... is the opposite of scoring three points against the Browns. To add to that -- maybe if we'd sustain the occasional drive, the Browns don't have four separate offensive drives in one quarter to begin with?

__________________________--

So the answer is, no the league doesn't have our defense figured out. I hate the way we give cushions, think we need a real NT, and believe we could do some other things better. But the jah-damned problem is our offensive tackles and a little bit of discipline. You can't really go and score three points in a football game then sit back and shovel dirt onto the defense.

86WARD
10-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Yes. Look at Pittsburgh. Look at Green Bay...

zulater
10-14-2014, 07:54 AM
no they have not , the problem is our own players are incapable of playing our true scheme , we do not have the proper bodies or minds or experience level to successfully play it .....

I fear we never will under Lebeau again , not because he cant coach it because by the time we acquire those pieces he will be dead or retired or fired

If you don't have the players to run your scheme then you have to adjust your scheme to fit the players you have. Coaching 101. Sorry but there's no excuse for how bad this defense is. The Browns had back ups and hobbled starters all over the field yet managed to come up with a good game plan to limit the Steelers offense. Granted at the moment I think a Div II college team could pretty much stop the Steelers offense in their tracks. But the point is teams adjust to a lack of talent all the time. You think Bellichick would let his DC keep running the same old tired scheme if it was evident he didn't have the players to run it? If it was an offense, do you run the same plays if your X receiver is Mike Wallace as you would if it was Weegie Thompson?

You don't try to pound a square peg into a round hole. They need to simplify the defense, get Troy off the field on obvious passing downs, and cut Cam Thomas, and start playing Shamarko (when healthy) Tuitt, Will Allen ( for Troy) and McCullers . Right there would be a start that any fool could see. But for some reason even these simple changes escape our coaching staff? :noidea: :frusty:

Mojouw
10-14-2014, 08:42 AM
The Steelers have no pass rush from the LB level. Without that, none of the versions of 3-4 will work ever. Until that gets fixed, it will not matter who is at CB, S, or NT.

one side only
10-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Is this a trick question? Of course the NFL has figured it out; that happened long ago. The only saving grace for the Steelers has been few teams had the players at the skill positions (primarily QB) to attack the Steelers scheme. Remember the salad days of the zone blitz? Steeler players moving around before the snap . . . what's 43 going to do? . . . linemen dropping into coverage . . . blitzes coming from all directions . . . the opposing QB's decison cycle disrupted . . . All of that has been replaced with a no cover, no rush defense that isn't designed (scheme) or built (player aquisition & coaching) or executed (player performance) to be successful in today's NFL. Nowdays, it doesn't take figuring out to beat the Steelers defense, the Steelers defense does that for you. The yin to the yang (if you don't mind a yinzer bastardization of Taoism) is an offense that can't score, even when matched up against cripples and third teamers. I could live with a few big plays, even being fooled by play action by a guy who completed 8 passes, if I believed the offense could take advantage of the weapons in the arsenal. Instead, they rack up meaningless stats. Back to the original question . . . my answer is YGBSM.

Dwinsgames
10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Is this a trick question? Of course the NFL has figured it out; that happened long ago. The only saving grace for the Steelers has been few teams had the players at the skill positions (primarily QB) to attack the Steelers scheme. Remember the salad days of the zone blitz? Steeler players moving around before the snap . . . what's 43 going to do? . . . linemen dropping into coverage . . . blitzes coming from all directions . . . the opposing QB's decison cycle disrupted . . . All of that has been replaced with a no cover, no rush defense that isn't designed (scheme) or built (player aquisition & coaching) or executed (player performance) to be successful in today's NFL. Nowdays, it doesn't take figuring out to beat the Steelers defense, the Steelers defense does that for you. The yin to the yang (if you don't mind a yinzer bastardization of Taoism) is an offense that can't score, even when matched up against cripples and third teamers. I could live with a few big plays, even being fooled by play action by a guy who completed 8 passes, if I believed the offense could take advantage of the weapons in the arsenal. Instead, they rack up meaningless stats. Back to the original question . . ..