PDA

View Full Version : Steelers PATs: Burned secondary, burned cash

stillers4me
10-13-2014, 04:16 PM
These words, minus the one in brackets, came from the mouth of Mike Mitchell: “When we did what we were supposed to do, we kicked their . They got us on a couple trick plays that really hurt us and got their momentum going.”
Which begs the obvious question. And no, not the one that asks who Mitchell is.

I’m talking about this one: Is there anyone on these Steelers that doesn’t subscribe to the theory that flying the plane successfully comes with the same value as [B]landing it successfully (http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/10/12/column-will-take-ben-pipe/)?

My goodness.
Let’s get past the rhetoric — or whatever derisive term you’d attach to Mitchell’s remark — and look at actual performance:
Mitchell actually did have a decent showing, making three tackles but all with impact. One was a dynamic pass breakup over the middle that he made sure everyone in the stadium noticed afterward. Two others were tighter to the line. His overall grade from Pro Football Focus was 2.2, trailing only Lawrence Timmons among all defenders.

So wonderful. Huzzah. Welcome to the franchise, right?

For the season, Mitchell’s PFF rating is 1.5, which places him 27th among all NFL safeties — Troy Polamalu’s 0.9 has him 32nd — and makes him basically average at his job. And upon a deeper look, his ranking drops to 38th when evaluated solely on pass coverage rather than, you know, making the plays right in front o him. That’s because he has zero interceptions and zero passes defensed.

I’ll repeat that: Zero, zero.

And if memory serves, the primary reason the Steelers targeted Mitchell with that five-year, $25 million contract out of free agency was that he’d restore a playmaking dimension to their secondary. Still waiting, obviously.

• No such muddy water when it comes to judging another five-year, $25 million contract Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin doled out this summer: Cortez Allen is beginning to look like the worst corner in the NFL.

Wait, this just in: He is the worst corner in the NFL.

After a minus-3.7 rating Sunday that was among the worst for any player in the league, Allen’s overall PFF ranking among corners fell to No. 103 in the league. Out of 103. He does have two picks and five passes defensed, but all that’s done is mask some of the softest coverage seen in these parts since … ah, I’m not even going to impugn those guys by citing them in this context. Suffice it to say that by game’s end Sunday, Allen actually looked completely satisfied to allow receivers to catch the ball, so long as they wouldn’t run past him.........

READ MORE @ http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/10/13/steelers-pats-burned-secondary-burned-cash/

X-Terminator
10-13-2014, 04:20 PM
God bless you, Dejan, but I stopped reading after you referenced Pro Football Focus.

Fuck "advanced stats."

Mojouw
10-13-2014, 04:34 PM
C'mon. Math isn't that scary. Can't let analytics be the sole factor in an analysis. You have to watch the game(s) and the film, but it does provide context to the discussion.

PFF stats (however flawed they may be) demonstrate that when compared to their peers by a relatively unbiased standard, the Steelers safety tandem is average at best. When compared in the same way, the Steelers #1 corner is a dumpster fire.

In this situation, it is as bad as we all feared. The Steelers secondary is a horror show.

Count Steeler
10-13-2014, 04:52 PM
C'mon. Math isn't that scary. Can't let analytics be the sole factor in an analysis. You have to watch the game(s) and the film, but it does provide context to the discussion.

PFF stats (however flawed they may be) demonstrate that when compared to their peers by a relatively unbiased standard, the Steelers safety tandem is average at best. When compared in the same way, the Steelers #1 corner is a dumpster fire.

In this situation, it is as bad as we all feared. The Steelers secondary is a horror show.

Imagine that, and all the draft pundits wanted us to take a CB first round. Where IS the logic?

Mojouw
10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Imagine that, and all the draft pundits wanted us to take a CB first round. Where IS the logic?

Well...I actually believed the hype on Allen and Shazier. But that hasn't materialized. I am willing to give Allen another handful of games, but I hope that fancy new contract has very little money after this season.

Count Steeler
10-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Well...I actually believed the hype on Allen and Shazier. But that hasn't materialized. I am willing to give Allen another handful of games, but I hope that fancy new contract has very little money after this season.

Me too. But surely we could have done better than Archer in the 3rd round. I think that one was a huge mistake.

ALLD
10-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Very few turnovers tell the story not to mention giving up big plays like free donuts at a cop convention. Flush the team like the turd that it is.

steelreserve
10-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I think both the Allen and Mitchell contracts are set up so that we'd take a minimal hit for releasing them after a year or two ... better to do it after two of course, but we have options.

What are we going to do, though? Bring someone else in and have them stink up the joint too? Allen and Mitchell might both be decent players, but as long as we have no coach, we're probably not going to ever figure that out.

Count Steeler
10-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I think it is time to reduce Polamalu's role. Start rotating in Golden, Thomas (injured now), and Allen (Wil). We are too weak up the middle right now. Love you Troy, but time is winning...

SteelerFanInStl
10-13-2014, 05:30 PM
• No such muddy water when it comes to judging another five-year, $25 million contract Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin doled out this summer: Cortez Allen is beginning to look like the worst corner in the NFL.

Wait, this just in: He is the worst corner in the NFL.

After a minus-3.7 rating Sunday that was among the worst for any player in the league, Allen’s overall PFF ranking among corners fell to No. 103 in the league. Out of 103. He does have two picks and five passes defensed, but all that’s done is mask some of the softest coverage seen in these parts since … ah, I’m not even going to impugn those guys by citing them in this context. Suffice it to say that by game’s end Sunday, Allen actually looked completely satisfied to allow receivers to catch the ball, so long as they wouldn’t run past him.........

What? I thought that Cortez had "turned the corner"? :toofunny:

86WARD
10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
He hit an ice patch. That black ice can be tricky.

But wait...it's all Troy's fault. troy isn't getting him help over the top.

zulater
10-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Guarantee you that if they released Cortez Allen there would be 31 claims in on him. Yeah he had a bad game against Cleveland. Besides Bell and Blount who didn't? But he's still a solid cover corner, I really don't give a shit what the one moron site says.

Troy on the other hand is giving us nothing in coverage, and he's a big part of why Cortez had such a poor game this week. If we had a safety who could give inside help to the corners when they're supposed to these big plays wouldn't be happening to this extent.