PDA

View Full Version : Thought I was Watching a Cowher Team Again

Craic
10-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Here's what I mean.

Steelers have complete control of the game, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run etc. Eating up clock, eating up yardage at the beginning of the game. But we only manage a few points. Then, a couple quick strikes by the other team, and we fall apart, not able to match the quicker pace or put points on the board.

I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, at least if we're going to go back to those days, at least let me get my hair back as well. You know?

Dwinsgames
10-13-2014, 12:07 AM
26 rushed total

42 passes total

nothing wrong with the ratio , and really who gives a shit about the ratio its what you do with it once you get into the redzone ... we did nothing with it until garbage time

fansince'76
10-13-2014, 12:08 AM
But it was all Ben's fault, even though he only threw the ball 8 times up until they got into a 3-score hole in the 2nd quarter and were forced to become one-dimensional and start passing on almost every play to try and catch up.

Dwinsgames
10-13-2014, 12:09 AM
But it was all Ben's fault.

I read exactly no place that was said or implied

fansince'76
10-13-2014, 12:27 AM
I read exactly no place that was said or implied

I've seen it implied plenty. Not by you per se. But the way to win ball games is not to take the ball out of your two best players' hands (Ben, and by extension AB) until you're 3 TDs down.

X-Terminator
10-13-2014, 12:48 AM
I've seen it implied plenty. Not by you per se. But the way to win ball games is not to take the ball out of your two best players' hands (Ben, and by extension AB) until you're 3 TDs down.

I'll post it here too...there's a "fan" posting on our Facebook page who certainly thinks it's all Ben's fault. And then people wonder why I feel the way I do about Steelers "Nation" at times.

zulater
10-13-2014, 05:22 AM
I'll post it here too...there's a "fan" posting on our Facebook page who certainly thinks it's all Ben's fault. And then people wonder why I feel the way I do about Steelers "Nation" at times.

Key word being "A", yet you hold a single person responsible for all of Steeler nation.

- - - Updated - - -

But it was all Ben's fault, even though he only threw the ball 8 times up until they got into a 3-score hole in the 2nd quarter and were forced to become one-dimensional and start passing on almost every play to try and catch up.

We weren't forced to become 1 dimensional, we became one dimensional. The Browns rallied from a bigger deficit against us in Pittsburgh using more runs than pass plays.

Drazo85
10-13-2014, 06:20 AM

Steelers caught a fair share of bandwagon fans over the last decade. Heck i was one of them in the begining. Its time to some of them get of the wagon. True fan stays with the team during the rough years and gives his support. Im not saying the fans should not criticize bad moves the Rooneys and FO makes, but they should do it with class and style, like many of you do. Fair points and arguments are always welcomed, and there is plenty of that here. Im learning so much just reading your posts. Sure, i disagree with some of you, but i know you all want the same thing-that the Steelers win. This is a great place and im happy to be here with all of you. :tt03:

smokin3000gt
10-13-2014, 08:31 AM
what I couldn't figure out is why we were throwing it 15+ yards on 3/1 or 3/2 situations. it looked like we were going for the splash play instead of the first down

zulater
10-13-2014, 08:35 AM
what I couldn't figure out is why we were throwing it 15+ yards on 3/1 or 3/2 situations. it looked like we were going for the splash play instead of the first down

Because the play calling is atrocious. Same as the wide pitch to Bell on 3rd and a short yard on our opening possession of the game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-13-2014, 10:00 AM
26 rushed total

42 passes total

nothing wrong with the ratio , and really who gives a shit about the ratio its what you do with it once you get into the redzone ... we did nothing with it until garbage time

it does matter when all of your runs are right in a fucking row. And all of your passes are right in a fucking row.

11 out of our 12 1st offensive plays were runs. Theres another sequence during the game where we throw 11 pass plays in a row. And many other chunks of the game where we do one or the other. Like what in the actual fuck? Who does that?

It doesnt matter if you're the best running team in the league and the worst passing team, or vice versa. You balance your offense more than that. Ugh.

tube517
10-13-2014, 10:02 AM
We all know Ben needs to call the plays. The problem I see is that some of these plays (playbook) go back several coordinators so I see what Preach is talking about.

On a similar note, does it seem to me that the offensive plays by the Steelers take so damn long? I mean, a simple running play is called and they wind down the play clock to :01 or the pass plays take so long to develop. This isn't a Haley phenomenon. I recall Arians, Whis, etc plays taking too much time from the previous snap to the current play. Most teams now are pretty quick. (Eagles being extremely quick but that's a whole other offensive mindframe)

Craic
10-13-2014, 10:47 AM
26 rushed total

42 passes total

Go back and look at the game itself.

1st Series: pass, run, run, punt.

2nd Series: run, run, run, run, run, run, pass incomplete-penalty. Run, run, run. Fieldgoal.

3rd Series: run, run, pass. run, run, pass, run, run, pass. Fieldgoal.

4th Series: pass. run, pass. Punt.

5th Series: Run, run, run, pass incomplete. Punt.

The last series two series were played inside the two minute warning, and we were now down by 18 points. That's 21 running plays and 6 pass plays. And, we moved the ball very well. I thought the playcalling was fine for the most part of the first half. There were two third down plays I was scratching my head on, but besides, that I really couldn't fault the plays. It was the receivers inability to catch the ball that killed drives when we were throwing it that really killed us.

We all know Ben needs to call the plays. The problem I see is that some of these plays (playbook) go back several coordinators so I see what Preach is talking about.

On a similar note, does it seem to me that the offensive plays by the Steelers take so damn long? I mean, a simple running play is called and they wind down the play clock to :01 or the pass plays take so long to develop. This isn't a Haley phenomenon. I recall Arians, Whis, etc plays taking too much time from the previous snap to the current play. Most teams now are pretty quick. (Eagles being extremely quick but that's a whole other offensive mindframe)

That's all about eating up clock, remember? It's a holdover from the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-mediocrity days.

- - - Updated - - -

it does matter when all of your runs are right in a fucking row. And all of your passes are right in a fucking row.

11 out of our 12 1st offensive plays were runs. Theres another sequence during the game where we throw 11 pass plays in a row. And many other chunks of the game where we do one or the other. Like what in the actual fuck? Who does that?

It doesnt matter if you're the best running team in the league and the worst passing team, or vice versa. You balance your offense more than that. Ugh.

No.

When the run is working, you stick, to it. The run was working in the first half. We were walking up and down the field. When you're behind by three scores, you can't run. You have to drive quick to score. It's all about context.

86WARD
10-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Because the play calling is atrocious. Same as the wide pitch to Bell on 3rd and a short yard on our opening possession of the game.

That was more of a better play be by Cleveland than a poor play call. If that defender bus the fake and Miller is able to seal that block, Bell is probably going for a big gain there. I'm all,for bashing the play calling but in this instance, I give CLEVELAND credit for reading and reacting.

zulater
10-14-2014, 06:44 AM
That was more of a better play be by Cleveland than a poor play call. If that defender bus the fake and Miller is able to seal that block, Bell is probably going for a big gain there. I'm all,for bashing the play calling but in this instance, I give CLEVELAND credit for reading and reacting.

Third and less than a yard, I get the first down the sure way and bang 27 into the gap between your first round center and guard.

Craic
10-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Third and less than a yard, I get the first down the sure way and bang 27 into the gap between your first round center and guard.

I agree, and wondered the same thing. However I also have to remember that if we do that every time, pretty soon, they'll know it's coming, and we had been running up either through the guards or cutting just outside them quite a bit up to that point if I remember right.

zulater
10-14-2014, 11:52 AM
I agree, and wondered the same thing. However I also have to remember that if we do that every time, pretty soon, they'll know it's coming, and we had been running up either through the guards or cutting just outside them quite a bit up to that point if I remember right.

Less than a yard to go against a depleted defensive line you should be able to get a yard with either one of the Doobie Bros every time, even if they know it's coming. Now against the Texans, that might be a different thing.

86WARD
10-14-2014, 12:09 PM

You say it like its a given that the Steelers OLine can get the push to do something like that...lol. Nothing is a "sure way" with this team.