PDA

View Full Version : Heard an interesting stat on the radio about sacks

X-Terminator
10-12-2014, 06:26 PM
According to Andrew Filliponi of 93.7 The Fan, the sack rate is at an all-time low, and the league is on pace to have the lowest number of sacks in a season in NFL history. The reason is because QBs are now getting rid of the ball faster, making it more difficult to get to the QB. So maybe we should simply put that aside when talking about LeBeau and the defense, because no one else is really getting any sacks. If anything, it's more evidence that the game has passed LeBeau by, because he has either been unable or unwilling to adapt his scheme to fit the personnel he has and to stop modern passing offenses. He keeps doing the same things, sees that his defense has been exposed, and yet nothing changes. He needs to go for that reason alone, and get someone in here who understands how to play defense in the 21st century.

blackngldblood
10-12-2014, 06:28 PM
I've got a box of crackers in my cupboard, opened, that I bought a year ago that are fresher than LeBeau's defense. Both coordinators need replacing ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
10-12-2014, 06:49 PM
According to Andrew Filliponi of 93.7 The Fan, the sack rate is at an all-time low, and the league is on pace to have the lowest number of sacks in a season in NFL history. The reason is because QBs are now getting rid of the ball faster, making it more difficult to get to the QB. So maybe we should simply put that aside when talking about LeBeau and the defense, because no one else is really getting any sacks. If anything, it's more evidence that the game has passed LeBeau by, because he has either been unable or unwilling to adapt his scheme to fit the personnel he has and to stop modern passing offenses. He keeps doing the same things, sees that his defense has been exposed, and yet nothing changes. He needs to go for that reason alone, and get someone in here who understands how to play defense in the 21st century.

Dang XT, I agree with you again! :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
10-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I said it to someone earlier and Ill put it down right here, I think Tomlin is either too scared to make changes or to "respectful" of Lebeau to say anything. I understand Dick is a legend but at the same time it seems the way the defense is playing we are running the same things since 2004 when he came back, in which we probably are. Tomlin needs to get in there and say something. Maybe a new DC would help but defense players are almost not allowed to do anything anymore either. I know this is just a rant with no meaning but it needed said.

zulater
10-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Our defense was only 1/3 of the problem. And what about our special teams? Our returners haven't had anything resembling a hole to run to since the season opener. Our offense sucks. No doubt. But the fact they start every possession following a score inside their own 20 isn't helping matters any.

muncher
10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I said it to someone earlier and Ill put it down right here, I think Tomlin is either too scared to make changes or to "respectful" of Lebeau to say anything. I understand Dick is a legend but at the same time it seems the way the defense is playing we are running the same things since 2004 when he came back, in which we probably are. Tomlin needs to get in there and say something. Maybe a new DC would help but defense players are almost not allowed to do anything anymore either. I know this is just a rant with no meaning but it needed said.

your assuming tomlin knows what to do.
he was a d coordinator for 1 year and a db coach for a few. its not like he's very qualified to tell tell a master what to do.

Devilsdancefloor
10-12-2014, 08:11 PM
look t Dom Capers D he and Lebeau d's are getting ate up i think butler will make huge changes if he still gets a chance. which i hope he does.

86WARD
10-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Butler can hit the pavement as well.

Steelerette
10-12-2014, 08:37 PM
The reason we're not getting sacks isn't because the league has moved beyond sacks.

It's because we're pretending we can run a 3-4 without a damned real nose tackle.

Shoes
10-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Butler can hit the pavement as well.

I agree, I would not give Butler the keys to the DC position before searching far and wide.

Count Steeler
10-12-2014, 08:39 PM
We don't play aggressively enough, long enough. You gotta bring the heat and you gotta play your man. Soft coverage just gives the other team momentum.

Soft coverage may have worked when we could stop the big plays, but we are really weak against the deep ball.