PDA

View Full Version : Who Plays Center?

Craic
05-29-2010, 07:59 PM
OK,

its time to get back to football after all the spamming at SF.

SO, we have a new center drafted that seems to have taken a lot of snaps at that position of late. Also, I have read somewhere that the project to have him play RG is over.

Does he line up at center for our first game? Is Hartwig there instead? And, what are your thoughts on what happens to Legursky, who was quite impressive last year.

Prok
05-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I hope Pouncey can earn the starting job and stay there 10-15 years. *waves towel*

Craic
05-29-2010, 08:03 PM
As we all do.

If he does, does Hartwig swing to RG. I have always thought he would be better there... as he doesn't have to worry about coming back up after the snap. He can explode right out of his stance.

Aussie_steeler
05-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Pouncey will start at RG. I dont believe he will be given the full responsibility of snapping and calling. They will want him to get a feel for the speed and strength of the pro's first. Hartwigs contract number is indicative of what the FO and coaching staff thinks of his ability. He will continue to start at OC if fit.

The bigger question I can see is who are going to be the two backups for the season opener? Who are the two best swing men who can cover all 5 spots between them?

Bluecoat96
05-29-2010, 08:41 PM
My gut feeling is that Hartwig will start, but Pouncey will not be far behind. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

steelpride12
05-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Knowing the Steelers they will want Pouncy to get many reps in before becoming a starting at center. I don't see him getting many snaps there, and he may end up at RG. Hartwig will start at center this season with a few snaps to pouncy, but not many.

Prok
05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Knowing the Steelers they will want Pouncy to get many reps in before becoming a starting at center. I don't see him getting many snaps there, and he may end up at RG. Hartwig will start at center this season with a few snaps to pouncy, but not many.

I wouldn't complain about him playing RG. Important thing for me is to get these early round picks developed and on the field as quickly as possible. Thats our formula for re-loading imo.

steelpride12
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't complain about him playing RG. Important thing for me is to get these early round picks developed and on the field as quickly as possible. Thats our formula for re-loading imo.

Agreed, but the Steelers are a team that does not rush their players on the field and I think giving these draft picks a few seasons of practice and workload before they can see ample playin time.

Texasteel
05-29-2010, 09:10 PM
If Pouncy starts at center, this year, he is even better than I thought he would be. Think he stays at RG for the year even thought he could take a few snaps at OC. Next year will be a completely different story, unless we draft his brother.

SteelersinCA
05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm betting Pouncey doesn't start for at least a year. Hartwig needs to teach him a thing or two first.

Shoes
05-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Hartwig will start at C,.....Pouncy at RG, until mid season when Hartwig will be out with an injury. Pouncy will take over C and Legursky will be at RG.

SteelersinCA
05-29-2010, 09:18 PM
OOOOhhhh I forgot all about Legursky

ChosenOne
05-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Hartwig will most likely start at center this year. I'd assume Pouncey will take over for him sometime next year.

Psycho Ward 86
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Legursky is playing with the 1st team at Center at OTA's in the absence of Hartwig. Maybe he'll surprise us...

JayC
05-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Hartwig won't lose his position to a rookie, at least that's what i believe.

Craic
05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Hartwig won't lose his position to a rookie, at least that's what i believe.

Coming out of camp, you're probably right. But I wonder once injuries start happening. . . It is a shame that there is so much to the blocking schemes now-a-days.

Vincent
05-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Dirt played RG his first campaign. Pouncey's a pup. Let him learn and get used to the big boys. He'll be fine in a year. He plays with some attitude. I'd like to see him at RG this year. We could have a decent OL.

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2010, 12:42 AM
No contact is supposed to take place in NFL spring practices, yet try telling that to rookie Maurkice Pouncey's big left toe.

Guard Trai Essex stomped on it early in practice Wednesday, and Pouncey yelped in pain as trainers rushed to check the damage.

An injury to the first-round draft choice who has not yet signed a contract in a non-contact spring drill may not rank up there with losing your starting quarterback to suspension for the first four games, but it is not a good thing, either.

"Oh, man, 330 pounds on a toe!" Pouncey exclaimed long after the pain subsided and it was determined no serious injury had occurred. After trainers inspected and wiggled his big piggy for several minutes, Pouncey bounced back up and completed the drill.

"I felt it a little bit at first, but I got back in there and couldn't let the guys down."

The interesting part of that drill was the position Pouncey played -- center. Starting center Justin Hartwig has been limited in practice because he had shoulder surgery after the season, and Doug Legursky, who has been running as the No. 1 center, had a minor issue and watched practice.

So Pouncey and Kraig Urbik played center Wednesday. Pouncey is a past and future center who Steelers coaches said would play right guard this season. Urbik was drafted as a guard last year, but is trying to add to his repertoire after mostly watching games in street clothes as a rookie in 2009.

"Nowadays in the NFL most teams dress seven linemen on gameday," said new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached the Buffalo Bills' offensive linemen last season. "So, if you're not in the starting five and you are one of the backups, you have to play two positions."

Pouncey is competing against Essex, Urbik and Ramon Foster to start at right guard, which belonged to the now-departed Darnell Stapleton a year ago before he buckled to knee surgery in August. Essex took over from there.

Pouncey not only is trying to compete at a new position for a starting job, he also is trying to get up to snuff with playing center in the pros. The Steelers wanted Pouncey to concentrate on playing right guard as a rookie, but it seems that already is out the window.

Kugler also said something interesting when asked whether the competition at right guard would continue through training camp.

"There will be competition across the line, and I think the competition with the players we added and players on the roster will only make us better."

Perhaps right guard is not the only starting job up for grabs, and maybe Pouncey will not be limited to competing at just one position.

"We've been working him at center and guard," Kugler said.

"He's been taking reps at two different groups. Today, he worked mainly at center. That will be the plan with Maurkice, continue to work him at guard and center. He's a player we feel can play both."
http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/forum/showthread.php/4881-Pouncey-escapes-serious-injury-Mendy-prefers-FB

wootawnee
05-30-2010, 12:46 AM
I heard S. Logan is getting the nod........

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2010, 12:48 AM
i really think pouncy will start at RG. essex is the only one with starting LT experience so he'll get 1 of the 2 gameday uni's... i think foster beats out legursky and urbik just like he did last year for the other spot... i believe he played right tackle in college and did pretty well considering he was a rookie in his starts last year.
so essex covers LT and RG... foster Covers RT and LG ... if hartwig gets hurt pouncy gets thrown under center and essex moves to RG for the rest of the game.

Devilsdancefloor
05-30-2010, 03:08 AM
I really think legursky starts at center this year.. just a gut feeling

Boomerang
05-30-2010, 04:54 AM
Hartwig at Center i think.

Galax Steeler
05-30-2010, 05:49 AM
I would love to see Pouncey come up and start but I think it will be Hartwig. If there is an injury to Hartwig then it will be Pouncey from here on out.

solardave
05-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I think pouncey will be at RG with Hartwig starting at C but if Hartwig falters or gets hurt it will be Pouncey's job to lose. It's the learning curve that keeps him from starting this year IMHO. Next year we draft his bro and be the first team ever to have identical twins starting on the O-line. That would be cool!

vasteeler
05-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I think pouncey will be at RG with Hartwig starting at C but if Hartwig falters or gets hurt it will be Pouncey's job to lose. It's the learning curve that keeps him from starting this year IMHO. Next year we draft his bro and be the first team ever to have identical twins starting on the O-line. That would be cool!

dont know much about his brother
how old?
how good?

Galax Steeler
05-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I would say if Hartwig struggles and gives up the sacks that would definetly open the door for Pouncey.

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I would say if Hartwig struggles and gives up the sacks that would definetly open the door for Pouncey.

I think Hartwig will have room for some mistake before Pouncey would be given the greenlight. I don't see Tomlin throwing him to the wolves because of a few bad plays. Now a bad first half of the season then maybe so.

SteelerFanInStl
05-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't see Pouncey playing center this year except for an injury situation. Get him a year of experience first and then he can take over the starting center job next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I think this is Hartwig's final year to start at C, Pouncey will compete for the RG spot and then take over the C job the following season.

Legursky I think might be the odd man out, or a reason they keep 10 O linemen. I honestly think our interior line is gonna be Kemo, Pouncey, Urbik in 2 years with backups of Foster and Legursky inside. Chris Scott or Jonathon Scott will be the RT in 2 seasons if Willie Colon cannot be extended and I think this is the final year we see Trai Essex in B&G (he even could be a camp cut)

solardave
05-30-2010, 01:07 PM
dont know much about his brother
how old?
how good?

The reason (one of two ) Maurkice left early was so his brother could take over his natural position at center. I'm pretty sure Michael was starting at RG.

BlastFurnace
05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I think that it will be Hartwig this year...barring injury. Pouncey is the future at C, but I wonder who is the future at RG. Seriously...unless Urbik steps up this year, is it Foster? I don't see Essex being a Steeler beyond this season.

ALLD
05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Hartwig has one more year left and then he leaves. Pouncey will play depending on Hartwig's injury and where we are ranking at. It would be a reach to think Pouncey is ready to start at C immediately without risking the OL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I think that it will be Hartwig this year...barring injury. Pouncey is the future at C, but I wonder who is the future at RG. Seriously...unless Urbik steps up this year, is it Foster? I don't see Essex being a Steeler beyond this season.

I think the fact that Urbik is a 3rd round pick, he wont get cut. You can make all the comparisons to Bruce Davis as a fellow 3rd round pick, but Urbik started 4 years at wisconsin, is very talented and should be a productive NFL lineman for 10 years. He can play RT or C in a pinch if needed and I think will be a Steeler for a while.

Essex might even be a cut if Pouncey beats him out, because we will have Jon Scott and Chris Scott or Tony Hills as backup OT's.

BlastFurnace
05-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I think the fact that Urbik is a 3rd round pick, he wont get cut. You can make all the comparisons to Bruce Davis as a fellow 3rd round pick, but Urbik started 4 years at wisconsin, is very talented and should be a productive NFL lineman for 10 years. He can play RT or C in a pinch if needed and I think will be a Steeler for a while.

Essex might even be a cut if Pouncey beats him out, because we will have Jon Scott and Chris Scott or Tony Hills as backup OT's.

I don't think there is any way that Urbik gets cut either.

I don't think that Hills makes the team though.

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Agree Hills is gone. This team has not even made much of an effort to see what this kid can do and he is just taking up roster space right now. Urbik could be a starter someday and prove his worth.

st33lersguy
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Hartwig starts at center Pouncey at guard for a couple of years. It will be just like with Dirt Dawson

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Agree Hills is gone. This team has not even made much of an effort to see what this kid can do and he is just taking up roster space right now. Urbik could be a starter someday and prove his worth.
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure he DOES practice with the team, and he DID get playing time in preseason ...so i'm pretty sure they got a feel for what he can do, and an even better feel for what he CAN'T do.

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 08:59 PM
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure he DOES practice with the team, and he DID get playing time in preseason ...so i'm pretty sure they got a feel for what he can do, and an even better feel for what he CAN'T do.

Yes maybe that's what I meant. He as practiced obviously and pre-season a small amount, but really nothing special.

Psycho Ward 86
05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
When Tony Hills got blown up 2 feet in the air by Brian Orakpo in the preseason........that's when i knew it was all over for him in the NFL....

oneforthetoe
05-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Hartwig this year - Pouncy next ....

To me, the starters from last year, minus Essex, are locks. Pouncy, obviously, will make the team and likely will start at guard. Jonathon Scott makes the team also.

So there are 6 locks. After that it is a crap shoot. Essex gives you a solid back-up at four positions, but he has probably reached the limit of his potential. Foster also give the Steelers some position flexibility. Legursky is one of those project player types the Steelers really like. And, as others have said, it is unlikely that Urbik would be cut yet.

If Jonathon Scott can backup left tackle then there is a chance the Essex gets cut. If the Steelers feel they need Essex for one more year then Legursky, UrbiK, Hills and Foster are probably fighting for two spots. Foster has the inside track on one of the spots and Hills is looking in from way outside.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 10:23 AM

You may be right. The only way that I think he makes it is if Jon Scott doesnt make the team, but I think he will and the OT's will be Starks, Colon, Jon Scott and Chris Scott with Kyle Jolly on the PS.

IF Hills gets cut, it will finally justify my wish of selecting Carl Nicks instead of Hills in the 2007 draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Hartwig this year - Pouncy next ....

To me, the starters from last year, minus Essex, are locks. Pouncy, obviously, will make the team and likely will start at guard. Jonathon Scott makes the team also.

So there are 6 locks. After that it is a crap shoot. Essex gives you a solid back-up at four positions, but he has probably reached the limit of his potential. Foster also give the Steelers some position flexibility. Legursky is one of those project player types the Steelers really like. And, as others have said, it is unlikely that Urbik would be cut yet.

If Jonathon Scott can backup left tackle then there is a chance the Essex gets cut. If the Steelers feel they need Essex for one more year then Legursky, UrbiK, Hills and Foster are probably fighting for two spots. Foster has the inside track on one of the spots and Hills is looking in from way outside.
I think you are correct with those 6 locks. Consider that this year could be the final seasons for Hartwig, Essex, Colon. I think the Steelers keep 10 O linemen with succession planning in mind and they end up releasing Essex and the 4 that make it are gonna be ... Urbik, Chris Scott, Foster, Legursky.

HometownGal
05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Most likely we'll be stuck with Hartwig this year but Pouncey will be in the middle next year - bank it.

Texasteel
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Yes maybe that's what I meant. He as practiced obviously and pre-season a small amount, but really nothing special.

I think your right bud. Hill is gone and should be. We all talk about the failure of Sweed but Hill has done far less for this team.

steelpride12
05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
I think your right bud. Hill is gone and should be. We all talk about the failure of Sweed but Hill has done far less for this team.

Of course. He has not even been given a snap during the regular season because of his lack of skill in the NFL. I don't see him doing much for any team at least other team's would show an interest in Sweed.

Texasteel
05-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Most likely we'll be stuck with Hartwig this year but Pouncey will be in the middle next year - bank it.

I am positive you are right about this. I'm not trilled with Hartwig either, but OC IMO is one of the toughest positions to just step into. Let Pouncey throw his weight around at RG for a year and learn as he go's. I believe he is a fairly bright kid and should learn quickly.

86WARD
05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Hartwig in 2010. Pouncey in 2011 and beyond. Pouncey needs sometime to learn. Center is one of the hardest positions on the field (ask Sean Mahan - shudder...) and one of the more difficult ones for a rookie to master. Pouncey can learn a ton lining up at a different spot and backing up Hartwig. It's not an easy transition from College to the Pros...

Craic
05-31-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know-- But I seem to recall earlier this week, reading an article where that said the Pouncey at RG option is over. Why? I don't know. I wish I could find it now.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 09:06 PM

he gave me a good laugh during preseason when he got blown up 2 feet in the air by Brian Orakpo. That has to count for something :violin:

steelpride12
05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Pouncey will get his chance just not this season. Hartwig one more season and Pouncey will get his chance to shine!

Steelman
05-31-2010, 09:28 PM
From what reports I've read and heard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pouncey start this year at center. But I'm guessing he'll fill RG for the year.

However, since Hartwig's days are numbered, I wonder if we don't move him to RG sooner than later and maximize his value there if Pouncey proves to be capable of handling the duties at center. Essex was more of a stopgap of a larger problem. And the rest, Urbik, Foster, and Legursky, aren't proven.

tube517
05-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Hartwig will start as he will bring continuity for Ben and Leftwich, who are both familiar w/him. I dont' see Pouncey starting at C unless there is an injury. I see Pouncey at RG.

Steelersfan
05-31-2010, 11:58 PM
The O-line needs an upgrade. I say start Pouncey/Legursky/Urbik/Foster at OC & RG. Whoever of these four win the training camp "battles."

Lets get the young guns in there and improve the weakest two positions on the O-line.

Craic
06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Hartwig will start as he will bring continuity for Ben and Leftwich, who are both familiar w/him. I dont' see Pouncey starting at C unless there is an injury. I see Pouncey at RG.

You know, I never thought about that. Shifting QB's six games in, it might be important to have a guy they are used to snapping the ball. One less thing for them to get used to... or re-acquainted with.

Galax Steeler
06-01-2010, 04:20 AM
I think Hartwig will have room for some mistake before Pouncey would be given the greenlight. I don't see Tomlin throwing him to the wolves because of a few bad plays. Now a bad first half of the season then maybe so.

The thing I am looking at is we can't afford to let our quarterback get killed like he has in the past by Hartwig. If we start seeing this then I believe that Pouncey would be the man for the job.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-01-2010, 06:48 AM
I see Pouncey and Ben working on snaps/protections alot with all of Bens free time, I'm lookin for Pouncey to win the job mid season.

LLT
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I expect Hartwig to start, with Pouncey at Guard. When Pouncey is prepared to make the line calls, I would expect Pouncey to get some reps at center by the end of the year. This time next year I wouldnt be surprised to see Pouncy at Center with Legursky as his backup.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:22 AM
The thing I am looking at is we can't afford to let our quarterback get killed like he has in the past by Hartwig. If we start seeing this then I believe that Pouncey would be the man for the job.

Im sure Pouncey will start at guard and if Hartwig plays poor the first part of the season Maybe seeing him get a shot at C duirng game 8+, but not likely still his first season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I expect Hartwig to start, with Pouncey at Guard. When Pouncey is prepared to make the line calls, I would expect Pouncey to get some reps at center by the end of the year. This time next year I wouldnt be surprised to see Pouncy at Center with Legursky as his backup.

So by that statement, you are of the belief that Legursky will make the 53 this year. I would also say that Urbik and Foster make the 53, which leaves Essex likely to be cut unless he backs up at OT. It also means the Steelers would probably keep 10 O linemen....which is 1 more than normal.

Camp is gonna be interesting.

LLT
06-01-2010, 10:15 AM
So by that statement, you are of the belief that Legursky will make the 53 this year. I would also say that Urbik and Foster make the 53, which leaves Essex likely to be cut unless he backs up at OT. It also means the Steelers would probably keep 10 O linemen....which is 1 more than normal.

Camp is gonna be interesting.

I think Hills and/or J.Scott may be gone..and I think Chris Scott will be a PS candidate. Legursky and Essex have some versatility to give them leverage.

Indo
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree with LLT's assessment. My question is....if they keep 10 O-linemen, who goes (non-linemen)instead? I haven't had time to look at the entire roster posted in the other thread and give it any serious thought. Hills, I think, is definitely gone.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I think Hills and/or J.Scott may be gone..and I think Chris Scott will be a PS candidate. Legursky and Essex have some versatility to give them leverage.

I think Chris Scott will be claimed before he gets to the PS. This is what I am guessing at, but remember that I thought Urbik would be starting by week 8 of last year.

Starters: Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon
reserves: J. Scott, Urbik, Foster, Legursky, C. Scott

IF they only keep 9, then Legursky or Foster could be the odd man out.

steelcityboyzs
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Pouncy gets to learn for a year. He will start at center next yr.

Chidi29
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
As others have said, it will be really interesting. I'm excited for it, especially to get away from all the Ben talk. To kill time, I'll break down each player.

Max Starks - Will remain the starter at LT, obviously. Did make improvements over the course of the season. Pass protection will never be great, but it got a heck of a lot better as the season went on. That's what I need to see, what the coaches need to see. Not as good of a run blocker as I'd like him to be, given his size and how well he played at RT in the 2005 season. Maybe that's just from a change in mindset that makes him look a little weaker (Or made him look a little stronger), I dunno. Good amount of money put into him; people have wanted to replace him, but I don't see it happening.

Chris Kemoeatu - On the rise. Absolute mauler of a run blocker. Very big and physical. Also extremely quick on his feet for a guy of his size. Comes in very handy on those trap runs we love to run. Pass protection is still only average, maybe that'll improve in time and work with Kugler. Solid season last year and he showed his toughness by playing through an ankle injury. You could tell the game he came back after missing the Ravens game (Was that Oakland? I forget.) that he wasn't 100%. But he played through the pain. Probably overpaid him a bit because the Jets made a run to get him but luckilly for us, it turned out ok. As an aside, I always found it funny that the last four letters of his name say "Eat U".

Justin Hartwig - He's a guy I have penciled in as a possible "surprise cut". To me, he's either going to keep his starting job or he's gone. Of course, the question becomes who would beat him out, but Hartwig was never anything special to begin with. Really was brought in as just a stop-gap from Mahan to the next guy (That likely being Pouncey). To be frank, he really sucked the last couple games of the year. The Browns game, like many others, was just brutal. Tons of miscommunication with him and Ben. To make matters worse, he missed a lot of practice. While you can correct some things by just talking and going over the problems in meetings, I'm sure it would have been nice to actually go out on the practice field and go with a "hands on" approach. He's suffered from shoulder and knee injuries that have spilled over into this season. He's coming off of a minor shoulder surgery. Not anything major, but the little stuff adds up. Especially at his age.

He's never really been a good fit to handle NTs like Rogers, Ngata, or even a guy like Peko who plays the nose in the Bengals' 4-3. Carolina was still running a zone blocking scheme when Hartwig was there, right? In that system, the center does a ton of cut blocking and attacking the second level. We really don't do a lot of that here. At least, not from what I see when I go back to re-watch the games.

If we were to assume for a second that a Legursky or even a guy like Pouncey (While unlikely, I'm not going to completely rule it out for reasons I will state) overtakes Hartwig, I don't see him staying with the team. Foster, Essex, either of the Scotts, are all more versatile than him. We don't keep 30+ year old backups making $2.5 million. We keep cheap, young, versatile guys so we only have to dress two backups. We've seen that with Legursky, Foster, Hills, and even Stapleton a couple years ago. Darnell beat out Cameron Stephenson (if you remember him, 5th rounder that didn't even make it out of camp) because Stapleton had more versatility. Where would Hartwig fit in? He wouldn't and he'll get the axe.

Trai Essex - Ugh, I really hope Pouncey is able to take his job. Essex is a pretty good run blocker, he's another key to those trap blocks (Normally sealing the tackle down to create the gap) but his pass blocking is utterly frustrating. And unlike Starks, it never improved over the year. From him getting abused by Jason Jones in Week 1, to Anthony frickin' Adams putting a full-blown spin move on him, Essex never improved. His footwork always seems to be off and he can never keep his balance. Multiple times have I seen one foot completely come off the ground and him having alll the leverage against him. Beaten on a variety of rip moves as well.

I don't see a backup job being a guarantee either. Decent chance he makes it, but it isn't a lock. He isn't the only swing guy we have anymore. You'll have upwards of five, six guys who can play a lot of spots. Foster can play every spot Essex can. Would not be surprised, nor all that disappointed, if he got cut.

Willie Colon - A bright spot on the line. Excellent season. Good pass blocker and a mauling run bocker. The coaches seemed to consider him the top dog and sites like Profootballfocus had him as a top five tackle. He will want to get paid next year and deservingly so. I say we do it. He's the best lineman we got and he's entering his prime.

Tony Hills - Little to no improvement with him. I remember when Orakpo literally put him on his butt in the preseason. I don't see him being that versatile either. He got some time at RT but he didn't look good there either. He'll need the best preseason of his life to make the team. He's simply out of chances.

Maurkice Pouncey - I liked him a good bit when I evaluated him in preperation for the draft. For whatever it's worth, here's what I had to say about him.

The Good: Nice frame...excellent technique, playing with good leverage and a solid foundation...good upper body strength...keeps his feet under him in the running game...quick hands and a good first punch...keeps his feet moving....mirrors well...versatile...durable...top notch motor...lots of experience
The Bad: Doesn't always hold his blocks...average awareness...didn't play in a pro style offense...doesn't do too well in space...not a good cut blocker...struggled a bit against better competition (i.e. Dan Williams)...some injury concerns
Other: 39 career starts...Played RG freshmen year before moving to center
Overall: Very solid prospect who isn't elite but doesn't have many flaws either

As pretty much everyone agrees with, he'll start out at RG and eventually work his way to becoming a center. One really interesting thing I read the other day, kinda a "Wow, this kid could be the real deal" moment, was his response to how difficult minicamps are. Other rookies like Emmanuel and Dwyer said they were very difficult to keep up with and they threw a lot at you. Pouncey pretty much shrugged off the question, saying it wasn't that difficult and that you just had to study and pay attention. Appears to be a sponge and a hard-worker to boot.

Jonathan Scott - Coming in with a small leg up on everyone else after working with Kugler last season. Does have intruiging size and can play both tackle spots. I just wonder exactly how well he can play. Starting for Buffalo doesn't say a whole lot after the countless injuries they suffered. I'm pretty sure a couple of posters on here got a call to workout for them. ;)

Doug Legursky - I think Kugler is going to like this guy. A weight room beast; this is the time when Legursky will be able to turn heads with his strength and work ethic. From everything I've heard since he came out of Marshall, he's a blue-collar, hard-nosed guy. Appeared in a couple games and didn't look bad but of course, the sample size is really small. Also used as a FB in a couple goalline situations. Can play center or either guard spot. It won't be easy, but I think he'll make the team because of that work ethic.

Kraig Urbik - Being completely honest here. No hindsight being used. I didn't like Urbik from day one. Thought he was an unathletic guy who got by in college by using just brute strength, something he coudn't get away with in the NFL. Last year didn't help answer any of those concerns. And the fact that we're also trying to play him at center might hint at the fact that we're looking for reasons to keep him. It should be the other way around. Drafting Pouncey and Chris isn't a vote of confidence for him. I don't think he'll make the team.

Chris Scott - I don't know what to make of this pick. He's basically a Ramon Foster clone. Coming out of Tennessee and has game experience at every spot but center. Though he has practiced at center. Good size, saying he was 320 at his conference call after he was drafted. But I find it odd that we're adding a middle-of-the-pack lineman (at best) with a bunch of guys of the same caliber. I'm all for competition but there is a such thing as too much; especially when you're talking about forking up a 5th rounder for the guy.

Keep this in mind though my fellow Steelers fans. Under Tomlin, there is ALWAYS, one or two guys that come out of nowhere and make the team. Look no further than Stapleton (Who went from being a UDFA undergoing knee surgery in camp his rookie year to starting at RG in the Super Bowl), Legursky (UDFA), and Foster (UDFA). Granted, Scott was drafted but I think a lot of people consider him to be a long shot.

I'll call it now. And you can gladly bring this post back up if I'm wrong and I'll eat crow. This guy will make the team.

Kyle Jolly - Don't know much about him. Played left tackle at UNC but is better suited for the right side. One poster who I respect a lot liked Jolly so he is a guy to at least look at a litte bit closer.

Dorian Brooks - Considered a small school sleeper by some draftniks. Had injury problems his senior year that prevented him from being drafted. Pie in the sky, but he's got a shot. At the very least, he'll make the practice squad.

Bradley Vierling - Know nothing about him. Probably just a body with Hartwig on the mend.

Chidi29
06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
My current predictions for the line would have to be:

LT - Starks
LG - Kemoeatu
C - Hartwig
RG - Pouncey
RT - Colon

Backups (Active)
Foster
Legursky

Backups (Inactive)
Chris Scott
Jonathan Scott

SteelMember
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
With Ben out until at least week 6, I don't think they throw Pouncy into the fire. I say this because Ben was the one calling protections for the past couple seasons.

Put Ben in there, give the kid a few games to learn, and Hartwig will have his hands full to keeping his job past mid-season.

The "kid" is that good, imo.

KyleJDavison
06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, I have read somewhere that the project to have him play RG is over.

Not that I doubt you Preacher, just curious as to where you read that. If that is the case, can he really beat out Hartwig for Center and who would start at RG?

I really don't want to see him riding the pine this year, and I was really excited for him to start at RG considering that is currently our weakest position on the O-line.

Craic
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Not that I doubt you Preacher, just curious as to where you read that. If that is the case, can he really beat out Hartwig for Center and who would start at RG?

I really don't want to see him riding the pine this year, and I was really excited for him to start at RG considering that is currently our weakest position on the O-line.

I've been looking for that article and can't find it :doh: I'll keep looking though

MasterOfPuppets
06-05-2010, 03:47 AM
I think Chris Scott will be claimed before he gets to the PS. This is what I am guessing at, but remember that I thought Urbik would be starting by week 8 of last year.

Starters: Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon
reserves: J. Scott, Urbik, Foster, Legursky, C. Scott

IF they only keep 9, then Legursky or Foster could be the odd man out.

just curious...what is it about j scott that leads you to believe he could beat out essex for LT backup ? i've never seen him play myself , but when i googled his name trying to gather info on him, i stumbled upon a bills board. well lets just say the bills fans on that board thought as much of scott, as we did mahan. statements like "worst tackle ever" and "thank god he's gone" , were plentiful. apparently he was a 5th round pick for detroit ... cut... the bills picked him up, and the only reason he ever saw the field was because he was the last man standing ..:noidea:
apparently the bills braintrust didn't deem his on the field play even worthy of the low tender offer.

i'd really like to know if foster has gotten in reps at right tackle.