PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' special teams offering little return

stillers4me
10-11-2014, 10:56 AM
The Steelers' special teams ­­— aside from the rare exceptions — haven't been as advertised during the preseason.

The addition of rookie Dri Archer, coupled with an explosive Antonio Brown, was supposed to give the Steelers an advantage in the return game. Neither has affected field position, in part, because new rules have put kickoff returns on the endangered list.

More troublesome for special teams coach Danny Smith, Archer and Brown haven't had many alleys to run through. And their limited opportunities have been affected by penalties, including four in a 17-9 win at Jacksonville on Sunday. .........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6915251-74/teams-special-steelers#ixzz3Fqu85xaD

Steelerette
10-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Here I was hoping the benefit to Archer was that he could run it back before anyone had a chance to commit a penalty :)

We rarely seem to see anything resembling a wedge on returns, but it may not even matter - it almost feels like a foregone conclusion that there will be a penalty and we'll be starting with a long field in front of us. I have to think this is a contributing factor to why our offense can feel anemic despite that we're actually putting up statistics.

On the other hand I wonder how a team would look that spent its salary cap having elite special teams, and suffered on O/D for it.

Count Steeler
10-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Here I was hoping the benefit to Archer was that he could run it back before anyone had a chance to commit a penalty :)

We rarely seem to see anything resembling a wedge on returns, but it may not even matter - it almost feels like a foregone conclusion that there will be a penalty and we'll be starting with a long field in front of us. I have to think this is a contributing factor to why our offense can feel anemic despite that we're actually putting up statistics.

On the other hand I wonder how a team would look that spent its salary cap having elite special teams, and suffered on O/D for it.

Our offense is putting up yards, not many points. Better field position should help the latter.

tube517
10-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't think we've ever had a KR that was a major threat. We've had some good PR's though. I have no confidence in our KR team because it seems they either can't get it past the 25 or a penalty derails the good return. I hope Archer can prove me wrong.

slippy
10-11-2014, 02:05 PM
i thought they were going to teach archer to return punts, LOL! wasted pick to keep Todd quiet.

Steelerette
10-11-2014, 02:44 PM
We should have DHB back there returning kicks.

86WARD
10-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Archer is terrible. I'm hearing that Gary Russell is available.

Count Steeler
10-12-2014, 09:01 PM
ST coach should be fired tonight. What difference could it make? This area of our team is woeful.

tube517
10-13-2014, 12:52 PM
ST coach should be fired tonight. What difference could it make? This area of our team is woeful.

Yeah, ST blows. Can we ever go one game without a penalty?

Count Steeler
10-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah, ST blows. Can we ever go one game without a penalty?

Has Archer even once gone past the 20 yard line? Take a knee.

tube517
10-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Has Archer even once gone past the 20 yard line? Take a knee.

Nope. His longest is 23 yards but that was probably caught 6 yards deep in the end zone.

I see no "help" coming from ST's and this also has been for a long time.