PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Bryant could be big lift to Steelers offense

stillers4me
10-11-2014, 10:49 AM
When the Steelers drafted Clemson receiver Martavis Bryant in the fourth round in May, they were enthused because he brought some much-needed size to a group of receivers that are small in stature.

“We needed a different guy from what we have,” receivers coach Richard Mann said. “He will be a great weapon for us in the red zone.”

Five games into the season, the Steelers own one of the worst red-zone offenses in the NFL, but the coaching staff has not yet turned to their 6-foot-4, 211-pound rookie for help.........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/10/Bryant-could-be-big-lift-to-Steelers-offense/stories/201410100113

tube517
10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I'll be very surprised if he sees the field Sunday. Unless Haley defeats Duce Moore in a cage match. Or Justin Brown gets taken out by Marcus Gilbert.

Psycho Ward 86
10-11-2014, 05:07 PM
i dont care if he has zero ability as a special teamer. if he looks like he'll be an upgrade for us over anyone in the red zone, the coaches need to give him a hat. this red zone offense NEEDS to be fixed. Close call games like against the jaguars, it could have been the difference between squeezing out a win 17-9, instead of blowing them out something more like 31-9

86WARD
10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
He won't help anything in the Dead Zone if the play calling is consistently terrible and the execution being worse.

Count Steeler
10-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Time to let the young guys play. Can it get any worse?

Dwinsgames
10-12-2014, 09:35 PM
guess what ... on paper this may be Colberts best draft class ( and I do not like colbert ) but just how many guys are seeing snaps ?

cam thomas sucks but Tuitt cant get on the field ....

Mauro was our best D-lineman in preseason and he is on the PS ....

McCullers is the closest thing we have to a NT and he is inactive every week .....

this staff can not see the future through the past Keisel is a nice mentor but he is not our savior ...

time to play the future because the future is now

Shoes
10-12-2014, 09:38 PM
guess what ... on paper this may be Colberts best draft class ( and I do not like colbert ) but just how many guys are seeing snaps ?

cam thomas sucks but Tuitt cant get on the field ....

McCullers is the closest thing we have to a NT and he is inactive every week .....

this staff can not see the future through the past Keisel is a nice mentor but he is not our savior ...

time to play the future because the future is now

I agree Dwins, I was pleased with the draft this year, why not give these guys a chance?

dislocatedday
10-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Mauro did have a motor and showed fire and ability in the pre-season. Don't laugh at what I am about to ask, but is it possible he could play right outside linebacker? He looks strong enough to set the edge in the run game, and he displayed an ability to rush the passer. Granted, going against 2nd and 3rd teamers in pre-season is much different than going against starters in the regular season, so I have no idea how he would fare against higher-level competition.

Dwinsgames
10-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Mauro did have a motor and showed fire and ability in the pre-season. Don't laugh at what I am about to ask, but is it possible he could play right outside linebacker? He looks strong enough to set the edge in the run game, and he displayed an ability to rush the passer. Granted, going against 2nd and 3rd teamers in pre-season is much different than going against starters in the regular season, so I have no idea how he would fare against higher-level competition.

doubt it ... he isnt a speed player he is a technician , his best play is once he gets his hands on somebody ( country strong ) and very good hands to manipulate his man .... he is a a 5 tech DE

zulater
10-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Is there any possible way Bryant could be worse than what their trotting out there now at wide receiver? Outside of AB this is without question the worst Steelers receiver core top bottom that we've seen since the 98-99 team's. Give the rookie a chance. At least he would be a big body in the red zone if nothing else.

tube517
10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
He won't see the field anytime soon. He should, but he won't.

steelreserve
10-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Are you kidding? He's much more valuable to us standing on the sidelines watching Justin Brown drop passes and fail to get open.

Just like Tuitt helps us much more by watching Cam Thomas suck ass all day.

Or like the way we use McCullers. Once teams start committing blockers and using double-teams in the opponents' bench area, we'll have them right where we want them. We have TOTALLY optimized our use of talent.

Man, I wish this coaching staff would all just go get lost in Alaska somewhere.

HollywoodSteel
10-13-2014, 03:13 PM
I remember seeing Bryant drop almost everything thrown to him in the preseason. I guess he's a better decoy in the redone than Justin Brown. Especially when we're gonna run it three straight times anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Wheaton had a bad game and is going through growing pains, but I've seen a hint of greatness from him here and there. I want him as our #2 getting as much experience as possible. He'll be consistently good at some point. I hope Bryant will as well but he is not our savior at this point.