PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Tomlin Emerging As The Front Runner

polamalubeast
10-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I bet you didn’t know there was even a contest going on within the Pittsburgh Steelers organization lately. But there is, and Mike Tomlin has clearly emerged as the front runner.

What’s the category where the Steelers head coach finds himself in? Most Inept Coach. Or maybe it’s Biggest Joke of a Coach…

His actions (or inactions) for the last two and one quarter seasons have catapulted him as the true front runner as being one of the biggest jokes of a head coach for a football team in the NFL today. Forget Rex Ryan, forget Tony Sporano, or any of the handful of coaches the Browns have employed the last few years. Tomlin is beginning to eclipse them all.

You know, at first I thought it was ownership’s fault that was the major contributing factor to Tomlin’s inability to do many things a head coach needs to succeed in if they expect their football team to also be successful. I’ve been thinking that the Rooney’s are keeping him from firing DLB and employing his own defense – his greatest strength as a coach when at Minnesota. The Rooney’s forced the Haley hire as OC. Tomlin has been hamstrung since after winning the Super Bowl and the talent pool lessened on the squad.

I’m starting to think all of that is wrong. Perhaps Tomlin really is inept as a head coach. I’m certain this is all rattling a few cages out there of folks who are staunch supporters of Tomlin. But, I just can’t stand in his corner any longer while this team continues it’s march of mediocrity with no clear leadership.

Let’s take a look at the resume for Tomlin of late.

– Wild Card loss to Tim Tebow and the Broncos in a huge blunder of clock management and a complete collapse on the first play in overtime.

– Continued inability to make in game adjustments.

– Continued inability of managing the game clock with effective time outs that have directly resulted in losing potential points.

– Continued lack of discipline that result in multiple penalties a game including pre-snap and “dumb” post-whistle penalties.

– Inability to effectively correct discipline problems – i.e. taking away locker rom games, such as ping pong.

– Sound byte filled press conferences that ultimately lead to incomplete results week in and week out.

– Numerous draft classes that have yet to yield any large dividends. Kevin Colbert’s fault? Maybe some. But isn’t a coach supposed to groom and mature a player? How many 1st through 3rd rounders are either gone from this team or still struggling while under Tomlin’s tutelage?

– Back to back 8-8 seasons, with no clear signs of improving beyond that.

read more

http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/10/09/pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-emerging-front-runner/

X-Terminator
10-09-2014, 03:37 PM
As long as Rex Ryan still has a job, no one...and I mean NO ONE...will take his place as the biggest joke of a head coach in the NFL.

Besides, isn't this list pretty much the running list of complaints about Tomlin from members of this message board? You're a little bit behind the times there, NPC.

fansince'76
10-09-2014, 03:52 PM
The latest “offense” and probably the thing that really tipped the scale for me has been this whole situation with Antonio Brown. It’s beginning to turn into an awkward relationship, and it’s something that Tomlin has created...

...A new twist in the Tomlin/Brown story emerged Thursday morning when numerous outlets reported that Tomlin is forbidding the exchange of game jerseys between players after the game is over. Tomlin made no mention of this during his Tuesday presser, but Antonio Brown, had no problems saying that it’s Tomlin’s new rule.

:rolleyes:

Someone SERIOUSLY needs to get up to speed:

As a reader wisely pointed out, the Steelers entered into an agreement with Fanatics Authentic, an online distributor of sports memorabilia, Sept. 26. Antonio Brown recently gave his game-worn jersey to Jaguars practice-squad receiver and childhood friend Tommy Streeter, which appears would be in violation of this partnership...

...Players are typically asked to pay for balls they throw in the crowd or anything else they may give to fans during games, so the fact the team has entered into a licensing agreement with a vendor for the sale of game-worn jerseys shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Steelers licensing agreement provides reason for barred jersey exchange practice (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/10/9/6952145/steelers-licensing-agreement-provides-reason-for-barred-jersey)

The no-swapping jerseys rule was OBVIOUSLY a mandate from the FO, and was OBVIOUSLY a result of this new agreement that they entered into about 2 weeks ago. And it's such a fucking non-issue anyway in light of all the REAL problems this team currently has that it's laughable. :coffee:

Right here, in black and white: Steelers Partner With Fanatics Authentic For Official Collectibles and Game-Used Memorabilia (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Partner-With-Fanatics-Authentic-For-Official-Collectibles-and-Game-Used-Memorabilia/dc6bf1cd-55cf-412f-9fb3-d4b3fe74ab47)

Kinda hard to sell Steelers game-used collectibles (read: jerseys) when the players give them away for free, no? :coffee:

Mojouw
10-09-2014, 04:20 PM
I think my favorite criticism of Tomlin is that he gives too many "sound bites" and "cliches". Does anyone also see the press conferences for other coaches/teams? They give the same coach-speak nonsense to the media. It isn't like other coaches are holding seminars on football strategy, play design, and in-game tactics as well as leadership fundamentals in these things. They are all talking to fill the time and make sure they don't say anything that will piss anyone off.

As for worse coaches, there are quite a few. Jim Caldwell hasn't changed facial expressions since 2007. Lovie Smith took about 4 weeks to realize that Josh McCown stinks. Rex yanked Geno and then Vick stunk so Geno's back.

By the standards of the original rant, Andy Reid is one of the worst coaches ever. He hasn't met a clock management situation or challenge flag he can't find a way to screw up.

Heck, whichever Harbaugh brother is out in San Francisco (who I'm sure that many in "Steeler Nation" would LOVE -Guys he is SOOOO INTENSE!!!) has managed to alienate most of his locker room.

What it Tomlin and co went 10-6 this year? Is he a good coach then? Does he stink?

fansince'76
10-09-2014, 04:38 PM
What it Tomlin and co went 10-6 this year? Is he a good coach then? Does he stink?

No, then it will be back to the tried-and-true "Cowher's players" argument (even though there are only 4 of those left on the roster and 3 of them are CLEARLY past their prime at this point and the other one was a result of Dan Rooney pulling rank on draft day)...

st33lersguy
10-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of what he has done lately, but even I think that is a stretch

steelreserve
10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

No, then it'd be because of the terrible opponents we play.

No, seriously. I do not think we are a 10-6 caliber football team; we're squarely middle-of-the-road. But there is a realistic chance we'll end up in that neighborhood because the strength of our opponents makes us look better than we are. This is probably the softest schedule we've had in a decade.

Kinda hard to sell Steelers game-used collectibles (read: jerseys) when the players give them away for free, no? :coffee:

Am guessing the issue is more like they just want as many jerseys as they can get their hands on. Every time a player gives one away, they go "NOOOOOOOOOO there goes $1,000 we could've had!"

Given that game-worn jerseys from Eagles linemen are going for $750-$1,500 on their site, I can only imagine how many dollar signs they see going up in smoke if a star player like Brown hands out their memorabilia to some kid with cancer. Better start making some phone calls and let the team know they mean business.

(Seriously, has it really come to that? I know an NFL team is a business, but that's pretty weak no matter how you cut it.)

Mojouw
10-10-2014, 12:10 PM
No, then it'd be because of the terrible opponents we play.

No, seriously. I do not think we are a 10-6 caliber football team; we're squarely middle-of-the-road. But there is a realistic chance we'll end up in that neighborhood because the strength of our opponents makes us look better than we are. This is probably the softest schedule we've had in a decade.

Not attempting to attack anyone specifically, but this is the logic I don't quite understand. IF the Steelers are a middle of the road team (7-9 to 9-7) then how does Tomlin get all the blame for them performing like a .500 team, but none of the credit would come his way if they went over that mark (10-6 or better)?

I argue that after the 0-4 start last year, the fact that Tomlin and the staff had the team playing hard and on the fringes of playoff contention last year was actually a "good" coaching job. This season has had some ups and downs so far, but anything over 9-7 (about the true talent level of the roster right now - although they will get better as the youth gains experience) is also a "good" coaching job.