PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Finally Getting A Round Tuitt?

GBMelBlount
10-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Stephon Tuitt shows off athletic prowess in practice

Steelers rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt is taking a shine to the new trend emerging in the Steelers' defense.

After notching interceptions in back-to-back games (a rare feat for the team having the least amount of takeaways during the last three seasons), Tuitt decided to show his ball-hawking skills in practice Wednesday, according to ESPN reporter Scott Brown.

Tuitt helped Jason Worilds sack Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles in Pittsburgh's Week 5 win over Jacksonville, and had a season-high 11 snaps. The notion of him racking up interceptions is tongue-in-cheek obviously, but there's more to report on Tuitt during the last few days than there has been since reports of his potential piled up this off-season.

If he's making plays in practice, it's at least loosely suggestive the game is starting to slow down for the rookie and it could mean an increase in playing time.

Starting left defensive end Cam Thomas has been less than impressive so far this season, which hasn't helped a Steelers defense shrouded by inconsistency. We noted this off-season Tuitt will eventually take over a starting role and this could be the a step toward such a move.

The Steelers had perhaps their best four-quarter defensive performance in Week 5, and face an equally hot-and-cold offense when they play the Browns in Week 6. Cleveland put up 24 second-half points against the Steelers in Week 1 and set a team record with a 25-point comeback win against Tennessee in Week 5. The Steelers are tied with Baltimore and a half-game up on Cleveland for second place in the AFC North, trailing 3-1 Cincinnati.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/Stephon-Tuitt-shows-off-athletic-prowess-in-practice-2-10530221

st33lersguy
10-09-2014, 09:54 AM
I think it is time to ditch the failed Cam Thomas experiment and give the rookie some reps

steelreserve
10-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah, we've all had enough of Thomas not getting the job done. He didn't perform in SD and he's not doing it here. Time to to take your dirty dick and go somewhere else.

one side only
10-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Tuitt had a pick 6 in practice yesterday.

I say Tuitt gets 20 snaps this week. Over or under?

st33lersguy
10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Tuitt had a pick 6 in practice yesterday.

I say Tuitt gets 20 snaps this week. Over or under?

Under, Tomlin and LeBeau don't like to play rookies over veterans

Count Steeler
10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Over, Goose gets hold of Thomas and has to be quarantined. Thomas takes a month to recover.

one side only
10-09-2014, 05:39 PM

He played 12 against the Jags. I think he's earned a few more, especially if the Browns run the no - huddle.

Shoes
10-09-2014, 07:30 PM

I think it's more Tomlin than LeBeau. Here's what LeBeau said about Big Dan playing...

Is Daniel McCullers getting any closer to playing on Sundays?
Well again you'll have to ask Mike (Tomlin) about that but I'm pleased with his development. He's got size and strength and he's working hard and he's another guy you can see on the field (on) any given Sunday.

Count Steeler
10-09-2014, 08:02 PM
I think it's more Tomlin than LeBeau. Here's what LeBeau said about Big Dan playing...

Is Daniel McCullers getting any closer to playing on Sundays?
Well again you'll have to ask Mike (Tomlin) about that but I'm pleased with his development. He's got size and strength and he's working hard and he's another guy you can see on the field (on) any given Sunday.

So, of course, don't dress him and stunt his development. Just don't get that strategy.

one side only
10-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Somebody who hasn't dressed yet gets a hat this week in place of Shamarko Thomas. Might be McCullers.

GBMelBlount
10-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Dick LeBeau On Stephon Tuitt: ‘We’re Looking To Get Him In There’

While he only played 12 snaps in the Pittsburgh Steelers 17-9 win Sunday of the Jacksonville Jaguars, rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt managed to make an impact during a couple of them. According to several media reports, he’s followed that game up with a solid week of practice.

During his weekly talk with the media Thursday, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was asked to talk about what factors have led to Tuitt not playing more than 49 snaps through the first five games of the 2014 season.

“Well I think if you ask the same question (in) a couple weeks we’ll be answering it differently,” said LeBeau. “He’s coming along really good. We’re looking to get him in there and get some action.”

During Wednesdays practice, Tuitt intercepted backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski and he was asked about that play Thursday.

“I was on the edge. I had contain,” Tuitt explained to Mike Prisuta of steelers.com. “All I did was try to move my way inside, and I was going to use my speed so they wouldn’t break contain. He ended up throwing the ball right to me because he was getting tremendous pressure from the other side.”

While Tuitt won’t be starting anytime soon, it sounds like he could start seeing his snap count slowly start to increase over the course of the next few weeks. For now, the Notre Dame product sounds comfortable with his role.

“I’m a rookie,” he said. “I still have to prove myself. I still have to gain the trust of the team.

“We have veteran players here so I have to wait my turn. As a football player, of course I’m eager to get in there, any player would be that way. Right now I’m just waiting my turn and doing the things I have to do to be prepared for that.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/10/lebeau-tuitt-looking-get/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Count Steeler
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Somebody who hasn't dressed yet gets a hat this week in place of Shamarko Thomas. Might be McCullers.

I would be pleasantly surprised. However, will he actually take a snap? I would be shocked.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2014, 09:48 PM
I would be pleasantly surprised. However, will he actually take a snap? I would be shocked.

this dude needs to at least be on the field goal blocking unit. Seriously.

st33lersguy
10-09-2014, 10:07 PM
While Tuitt won’t be starting anytime soon, it sounds like he could start seeing his snap count slowly start to increase over the course of the next few weeks

I think they are wasting their time starting Cam Thomas, we know he offers nothing. Tuitt on the other hand has a lot of potential and already has shown more promised than Thomas in much less playing time.

Steelerette
10-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Cam Thomas has been disappointing.

Coming in from San Diego we knew that he was streaky - sometimes playing dominant, but other times stinking it up.

Except we've yet to see any of his hot flashes. I was hoping it was puberty, but methinks the menopause has done set in.

GBMelBlount
10-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Cam Thomas has been disappointing.

Coming in from San Diego we knew that he was streaky - sometimes playing dominant, but other times stinking it up.

Except we've yet to see any of his hot flashes. I was hoping it was puberty, but methinks the menopause has done set in.

Could also be that the current "atmosphere" in Pittsburgh brings out the mediocrity in players.