PDA

View Full Version : No shirt for you: Steelers' Mike Tomlin bans jersey-swapping

vader29
10-08-2014, 06:53 PM
PITTSBURGH – The jersey that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown wore last Sunday hangs in the locker of Tommy Streeter, who is on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad.

Brown autographed the jersey and gave it to Streeter, a childhood friend, after the Steelers’ 17-9 win at Jacksonville.

It will apparently be the last Steelers jersey Brown gives to an opposing player following a game – at least on the field.

“Jersey switching has been banned by the Steelers,” Brown said on Wednesday. “Coach [Mike Tomlin] doesn’t want us doing it anymore.”

The edict Tomlin handed down Tuesday apparently stems from his wanting players to be more discreet if they exchange jerseys – or not to do it at all.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/81348/no-shirt-for-you-steelers-mike-tomlin-bans-jersey-swapping

GBMelBlount
10-08-2014, 07:00 PM
I really don't think this is a big deal.

However it is a slippery slope.

Next it'll be ping pong.

Butch
10-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Sweet we found out why the team has not been performing well!!! This should certainly right the ship.

Let's get out there and "Unleash Hell"!!!

smokin3000gt
10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
undisciplined.

zulater
10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
We can risk a pass to extend a record that isn't even listed in the record books, a play where a strip sack or interception could have jeopardized the game, but this, an exchange of jersey's after the game, this is where we draw the line!

GBMelBlount
10-08-2014, 08:04 PM
We can risk a pass to extend a record that isn't even listed in the record books, a play where a strip sack or interception could have jeopardized the game, but this, an exchange of jersey's after the game, this is where we draw the line!

:rofl2:

Count Steeler
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
PITTSBURGH – The jersey that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown wore last Sunday hangs in the locker of Tommy Streeter, who is on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad.

Brown autographed the jersey and gave it to Streeter, a childhood friend, after the Steelers’ 17-9 win at Jacksonville.

It will apparently be the last Steelers jersey Brown gives to an opposing player following a game – at least on the field.

“Jersey switching has been banned by the Steelers,” Brown said on Wednesday. “Coach [Mike Tomlin] doesn’t want us doing it anymore.”

The edict Tomlin handed down Tuesday apparently stems from his wanting players to be more discreet if they exchange jerseys – or not to do it at all.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/81348/no-shirt-for-you-steelers-mike-tomlin-bans-jersey-swapping

I would love to see Brown as he said this. Steelers are on the brink of falling over a cliff with these attitudes. Locker room may be getting beyond Tomlin's reach.

Brown chose to call out Tomlin, he could of said "they", "it has been decided", etc. Brown may need to resize his helmet.

tube517
10-08-2014, 08:32 PM
There's a fine line between squashing grapes and exchanging jerseys. Tomlins just mad because nobody asked for his William and Mary jersey

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Butch
10-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I would love to see Brown as he said this. Steelers are on the brink of falling over a cliff with these attitudes. Locker room may be getting beyond Tomlin's reach.

Brown chose to call out Tomlin, he could of said "they", "it has been decided", etc. Brown may need to resize his helmet.

Wow not sure we read the same article. Brown went on to say...

But Brown said he understands the message Tomlin is trying to send by prohibiting the swap of jerseys right after a game.

“We want a point of emphasis on winning games. We’re not here to trade apparel,” Brown said. “It’s the right way to do it.”

This was something he did for an old school friend, (not that it matters if it was a friend or not), and if you ask me it's completely silly that Tomlin feels that this even needs to be addressed.

86WARD
10-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Brown has a history of swapping jerseys.

http://i.imgur.com/FkFjmaW.jpg

Count Steeler
10-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Wow not sure we read the same article. Brown went on to say...

This was something he did for an old school friend, (not that it matters if it was a friend or not), and if you ask me it's completely silly that Tomlin feels that this even needs to be addressed.

That is why I would have wanted to see Brown as he said these comments. Those words leave a big hole for interpretation. Facial expression and body language would tell me if he was sincere or not.

And just because he is toeing the party line, doesn't mean there are not problems brewing. See Lance Moore.

Something just does not feel right.

Devilsdancefloor
10-09-2014, 08:34 AM
That is why I would have wanted to see Brown as he said these comments. Those words leave a big hole for interpretation. Facial expression and body language would tell me if he was sincere or not.

And just because he is toeing the party line, doesn't mean there are not problems brewing. See Lance Moore.

Something just does not feel right.

i agree i think he is just saying, but deep down the is like WTF cause he is the one doing it. like what else do i have to do for this team be honest he is a machine on sunday. What is the problem? Lets fix the stupid penalties this is beyond stupid. oh and the lance moore thing i dont get that situation at all.

fansince'76
10-09-2014, 01:30 PM
You can put the pitchforks away, folks...

It turns out Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not to blame for a recent edict regarding Steelers players not being allowed to exchange their jerseys with other players.

As a reader wisely pointed out, the Steelers entered into an agreement with Fanatics Authentic, an online distributor of sports memorabilia, Sept. 26. Antonio Brown recently gave his game-worn jersey to Jaguars practice-squad receiver and childhood friend Tommy Streeter, which appears would be in violation of this partnership.

This contradicts an earlier story BTSC ran based on quotes from Antonio Brown published by ESPN's Scott Brown.

The gear is on sale at Steelers home games as of Week 4.

The larger point here is this isn't the coach's rule, it's coming from the front office and the jerseys are property of the team. Players are typically asked to pay for balls they throw in the crowd or anything else they may give to fans during games, so the fact the team has entered into a licensing agreement with a vendor for the sale of game-worn jerseys shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Read more: Steelers licensing agreement provides reason for barred jersey exchange practice (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/10/9/6952145/steelers-licensing-agreement-provides-reason-for-barred-jersey)

tube517
10-09-2014, 01:32 PM
You can put the pitchforks away, folks...

Read more: Steelers licensing agreement provides reason for barred jersey exchange practice (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/10/9/6952145/steelers-licensing-agreement-provides-reason-for-barred-jersey)

NONSENSE!!!!

https://punditfromanotherplanet.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/pitchforks-mob.png?w=590&h=399 :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
wow ...team fixed now

really soundbite mike ? you think this is the solution ? really ??

muncher
10-09-2014, 02:14 PM
now that's putting your stamp on a team,

Mojouw
10-09-2014, 02:19 PM
What a surprise, the original story didn't have all the facts. I swear the only job easier than being a weatherman is sports journalist. Being correct has no place in either!

fansince'76
10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
now that's putting your stamp on a team,

Especially when it's mandated by the front office due to a new agreement that makes it a no-no to do...

As a reader wisely pointed out, the Steelers entered into an agreement with Fanatics Authentic, an online distributor of sports memorabilia, Sept. 26. Antonio Brown recently gave his game-worn jersey to Jaguars practice-squad receiver and childhood friend Tommy Streeter, which appears would be in violation of this partnership...

...Players are typically asked to pay for balls they throw in the crowd or anything else they may give to fans during games, so the fact the team has entered into a licensing agreement with a vendor for the sale of game-worn jerseys shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

tube517
10-09-2014, 04:03 PM
http://v015o.popscreen.com/MTEzMDExMjAz_o_coca-cola-classic-ad-mean-joe-green.jpg

Mean Joe better get his jersey back :chuckle:

X-Terminator
10-09-2014, 04:32 PM
What a surprise, the original story didn't have all the facts. I swear the only job easier than being a weatherman is sports journalist. Being correct has no place in either!

No better than politicians. (Except Chidi. He rocks.) I think the sad part is how easy it is for fans to get all worked up without getting all of the facts - and yes, I have been guilty of this many times as well. We need to stop allowing the media to tell us how we should think.

Count Steeler
10-09-2014, 05:34 PM
So back to my original point. If this came from the FO, why did Brown explicitly state that it was Tomlin? Or are we saying that the quote did not take place?

Something is still wrong in that locker room.

HollywoodSteel
10-09-2014, 06:18 PM
So back to my original point. If this came from the FO, why did Brown explicitly state that it was Tomlin? Or are we saying that the quote did not take place?

He probably got the order from Tomlin and accepted it without question. Also, to me there sounded like a "wink-wink" involved in Brown's explanation. It sounded like Tomlin probably said, "if your gonna do it, don't do it on the field. What happens to your jersey when no one is watching isn't my business." Tomlin might have gotten the edict from the front office without out asking why as well. He could have gotten a short text. We know nothing about it except that we can't assume anything, including assuming that it should have been handled differently. I honestly don't think this is a reflection of anything.

fansince'76
10-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Because Brown spends a LOT more time around Tomlin than the FO brass and Tomlin himself probably didn't make it clear that it was a directive from "up above," perhaps? And if it really was Tomlin's decision in an effort to right the ship, why didn't he put a stop to it after AB and Megatron traded jerseys last November, when the Steelers were 4-6?

There are a lot of problems with this team that are worth being concerned about, but this is just making a mountain out of a molehill, IMO.

stillers4me
10-10-2014, 09:47 AM
I . Don't. Care. About. This.

Mojouw
10-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Or Tomlin is doing exactly what the head coach - the public face of a franchise - is intended to do. He is protecting both his players and his owner from criticism. By saying that all things are his decision, even when they are not, it protects everyone and keeps the target squarely on the coach. That is why they all get paid so darn much.

NCSteeler
10-10-2014, 12:49 PM
I learned as a young E-6 in the Navy, you never said the Lt. told you it had to be done. You just went out and gave the order as if it were your own.

CapLovesTroyP43
10-11-2014, 09:21 PM
http://v015o.popscreen.com/MTEzMDExMjAz_o_coca-cola-classic-ad-mean-joe-green.jpg

Mean Joe better get his jersey back :chuckle:

I cry every time I watch that commercial it's just so precious!

86WARD
10-12-2014, 08:49 PM
I cry every Sunday I see Tomlin on the Steelers sideline.

Count Steeler
10-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Tomlin, why don't you give up your shirt? Take Haley and LeBeau with you.