PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 @Browns

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Well then. Looks like we're going to be asking ourselves the same question from before the last 5 games. Which team shows up?

Browns just pulled the biggest comeback win by a road team in NFL history so we know if we only play for one half again we're fucked.

At least our run defense looks like its improved since. Then again we played against a panthers team that was down their starting RB, and lost tolbert and stewart for the final chunks of the game. And the Bucs and Jags RB's have been terrible so far as well.

I feel 50/50 on this one at best

st33lersguy
10-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I expect Pittsburgh to play a little better than the last two weeks but only because their level of competition is increasing. Cleveland for the first time in a long time is playing inspired football. I definitely underestimated them in the offseason. I hope I'm wrong but I think Cleveland pulls out another come from behind win 23-20 because as a team they are playing harder right now

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I expect Pittsburgh to play a little better than the last two weeks but only because their level of competition is increasing. Cleveland for the first time in a long time is playing inspired football. I definitely underestimated them in the offseason. I hope I'm wrong but I think Cleveland pulls out another come from behind win 23-20 because as a team they are playing harder right now

i predict just the same. Our receivers not named Antonio Brown are going to have to have strong games for us. Brown has had Haden's number for a long time but I think he's due for a game where he at least keeps him in check.

GBMelBlount
10-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I give us a 50 / 50 chance of possibly winning. :hmm:

X-Terminator
10-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Browns win, 20-17. Last second FG wins it for them.

salamander
10-07-2014, 06:17 AM
No one can deny that the Browns are playing with a lot of heart, which scares me to death. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to continue playing inspired and beat the Steelers.

zulater
10-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Browns aren't used to playing with expectations. Plus the Steelers should be able to play the disrespect angle up good here. I'm sure there's some quotes out there where the Browns players claimed they gave the opener away. Thus discrediting the Steelers win. Anyway last week's lackluster win should serve to keep this team from going in overconfident. If we had held on and beat Tampa and then won going away against the Jaguars, say like 27-9, which basically we were only a few plays removed from both happening, so say we went into this game 4-1 I'd have little doubt we'd lay down for the Browns. But as things have transpired I think the Steelers take an edge into this game, and go in with the sense that they're going to show the world just what this team is about. Course you could take that last sentence as good or bad. :lol: Anyway I think the Steelers play something close to four good quarters for the first time this season. As I think our best beats their best, and as I think the Browns have been playing above their level and will shrink from carrying real expectations for the first time in a half decade+, I see this as a convincing 27-14 Steelers victory.

one side only
10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Too early in the week to make a prediction. I'd like to see who practices and who doesn't for the Browns, especially Joe Haden and Phil Taylor. However, these statistics should factor in to anyone's prognostication:

1. The Browns defense is ranked 31st in average yards per game (421.8), 28th in passing yards per game (269.3) and 29th in rush yards (152.5).
2. The Browns have registered just eight sacks and forced only four turnovers.
3. The Browns have surrendered 15 plays of 25 yards or more, ranked second only the Jaguars, and the Browns have already had their bye, meaning they've played one less game.

I like the Steelers chances offensively. If Charlie Whitehurst can throw a 75-yard touchdown, I'm pretty sure Ben can as well.

steel striker
10-07-2014, 11:21 AM
It' going to be a tough game but, I think the steelers will take this one 24-17.

Moose
10-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Brown's win 31 - 13. Brown's have something to prove and desire.

Steeltreal
10-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Too early in the week to make a prediction. I'd like to see who practices and who doesn't for the Browns, especially Joe Haden and Phil Taylor. However, these statistics should factor in to anyone's prognostication:

1. The Browns defense is ranked 31st in average yards per game (421.8), 28th in passing yards per game (269.3) and 29th in rush yards (152.5).
3. The Browns have surrendered 15 plays of 25 yards or more, ranked second only the Jaguars, and the Browns have already had their bye, meaning they've played one less game.

I like the Steelers chances offensively. If Charlie Whitehurst can throw a 75-yard touchdown, I'm pretty sure Ben can as well.
Who the hell is Charlie Whitehurst? ...
Seriously cant see Pittsburgh laying the proverbial egg.
Offense explodes, Defense surges. 35-9 Steelers

Steelman
10-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I still think the x-factor is Big Ben against Ohio. Might be a blowout, might be a nail biter, but I say the offense comes alive for all 4 quarters this time.

Count Steeler
10-07-2014, 03:27 PM
I still think the x-factor is Big Ben against Ohio. Might be a blowout, might be a nail biter, but I say the offense comes alive for all 4 quarters this time.

Only if Haley misses the flight or they give him a dummy mic. I wonder how many plays it would take him to figure out that Ben can't hear him.

one side only
10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Only if Haley misses the flight or they give him a dummy mic. I wonder how many plays it would take him to figure out that Ben can't hear him.

It would be funny if Haley claims he got stuck in traffic on his way to the airport again, since the Steelers ride a bus to Cleveland.

st33lersguy
10-07-2014, 04:49 PM

Jacksonville gave up 152 points in their first 4 games and the Steelers offense scored only 10 so that doesn't guarantee success for the Steelers O

Psycho Ward 86
10-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Browns aren't used to playing with expectations.

Well the steelers are and we still have been playing mediocre ball. As st33lersguy said, our offense scored 10 points on a jags defense that allowed 152 points in the 1st 4 games. That is an abomination. I do hope you're right though. I hear Joe Haden is possibly out so that only helps us.

Butch
10-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Jacksonville gave up 152 points in their first 4 games and the Steelers offense scored only 10 so that doesn't guarantee success for the Steelers O

Yep you beat me to it. Browns 27 Steelers 23

86WARD
10-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Browns 31; Steelers 17.

zulater
10-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Well the steelers are and we still have been playing mediocre ball. As st33lersguy said, our offense scored 10 points on a jags defense that allowed 152 points in the 1st 4 games. That is an abomination. I do hope you're right though. I hear Joe Haden is possibly out so that only helps us.

It's a week to week league. Just because A beat C by such and such, and C beat B, doesn't have any bearing at all on what will happen when A meets B. I mean by your logic the Patriots shouldn't have had a snowball in hell's chance against the Bengals.

No team is quite the same from week to week in the NFL. Games sway and flow on a handful of critical plays. So the Steelers Browns game cmes down to who takes best advantage of their opportunities when they come. What happened last week for either team will have no bearing on how this game plays out.

86WARD
10-08-2014, 08:31 AM
And the Steelers very rarely take advantage of their "opportunities."

fansince'76
10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
No team is quite the same from week to week in the NFL. Games sway and flow on a handful of critical plays. So the Steelers Browns game cmes down to who takes best advantage of their opportunities when they come. What happened last week for either team will have no bearing on how this game plays out.

I also think it's ironic that when the Browns dig themselves a 28-3 hole before coming back to win a game, they're playing "inspired ball." If the Steelers were to do something similar, it's because they "suck."

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
I also think it's ironic that when the Browns dig themselves a 28-3 hole before coming back to win a game, they're playing "inspired ball." If the Steelers were to do something similar, it's because they "suck."

better than being on the other end of that. Or close to it like Week 1.

fansince'76
10-08-2014, 10:11 AM
better than being on the other end of that. Or close to it like Week 1.

If we ever went down in a game by a score of 28-3 and then came back to win by a point, I can think of plenty of adjectives that would be used by the Nation to describe such a performance, but "inspired" ain't one of them, especially against a team with a losing record like Tennessee. :chuckle:

zulater
10-08-2014, 10:20 AM
And the Steelers very rarely take advantage of their "opportunities."

Take away the Ravens game and the Steelers have trailed for a total of 17 minutes for the other 4 games combined. They've virtually had the lead for the entire second half of the other four games. All but the final 20 seconds of the Bucs game in fact. So they haven't played good with the lead. I think that's their biggest problem. They need to play with more urgency and do more to extend their lead when they have one. But outside the Ravens game, when they've trailed or been tied they've been very precise in chasing down the lead. So it comes down to this.The Steelers have been the best team in four out of five games when they play with urgency.

one side only
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Joe Haden (hip) and Joe Thomas (rest; not injury - related) limited in practice today. Phil Taylor has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his knee and is out for several weeks.

Count Steeler
10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Take away the Ravens game and the Steelers have trailed for a total of 17 minutes for the other 4 games combined. They've virtually had the lead for the entire second half of the other four games. All but the final 20 seconds of the Bucs game in fact. So they haven't played good with the lead. I think that's their biggest problem. They need to play with more urgency and do more to extend their lead when they have one. But outside the Ravens game, when they've trailed or been tied they've been very precise in chasing down the lead. So it comes down to this.The Steelers have been the best team in four out of five games when they play with urgency.

I was going to make a similar comment. When we are losing, we play with urgency and almost desperation. When we have the lead, we get complacent even to the point of getting cocky.

Has to change or the roller-coaster ride continues.

one side only
10-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Paul Kruger, Billy Winn and Joe Haden all missed practice yesterday. Browns defensive line is beat up and their secondary was bad with Haden in there. If the Steelers don't score 30 points, they deserve to lose.

Mojouw
10-10-2014, 03:22 PM
A lot of degrees in psychology on this board. Maybe rather than trying to skull pilot the neuroses of all 32 NFL teams, we could look at some context...

The Steelers have a weak pass rush and until about the last 3 quarters of football, some crappy DB play. Therefore when teams go into frantic come from behind mode, they can quickly amass pass yardage. This is unlike past Steelers teams where the pass rush would destroy teams in that situation. Additionally, I think what is getting lost in the shuffle here, is look at how many times the defense has taken a short field or a red-zone situation by the other team and limited the damage to a FG this season. If the pass rush starts getting home, or the DBs keep making INTS -- all those frantic comebacks get snuffed out.

As for the conservative mode on offense -- it is designed to keep the defense off the damn field. However, when the offense fails to move the ball and whatever dirtball punter the Steelers have on the roster shits the bed -- it all looks like crap.

The point is that the Browns are good at running the ball. Everything else, not so much. If the Steelers can limit the rushing plays of over 5 yards and actually generate some pressure on D - they win this in a walk. They don't do those things and it will be a back and forth nail-biter.

So I guess I will pick the team that goes through the most gritty and inspired warm-up.

GBMelBlount
10-10-2014, 10:57 PM
The Browns are giving up 5 yards per carry and 420 yards per game.

If our offense plays like they are capable of we should put up 30+.

Moose
10-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Usually the team who win's 4 out of 6 of the football pillars win's the game- Pass def.,Rush def.,turnovers, red-zone, 3rd down attempts and 3rd downs made. And as we all know, the Steeler's have played hell accomplishing a couple of these things.

zulater
10-11-2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/10/ben_roethlisberger_and_tom_bra.html

Mike Pettine has opened his last two seasons under similar circumstances -- suffering last-second losses to future Hall-of-Fame quarterbacks who have dominated the teams he's coaching.

A year ago, the then-Bills defensive coordinator watched Tom Brady continue his mastery of Buffalo in leading the Patriots to a 23-21 victory in the dying seconds. A month ago, the new Browns coach saw Ben Roethlisberger do the same engineering a late field-goal drive allowing the Steelers to escape with a 30-27 win at Heinz Field.

Since the 1970 NFL merger, no quarterback has a better record (18-1) in his first 19 games against a single opponent than Roethlisberger versus the Browns, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Brady is second at 17-2 against the Bills. He's extended it to 22-2.

The Browns and Bills each host their tormentors Sunday.

Pettine said he doesn't get caught up in an individual quarterback's success against the team he's coaching.

"You don't get tied up in it because it can only be a negative," he said. "I think it's critical for our guys. You get to the point where you use the cliche, 'Hey, treat these guys like they are nameless and faceless.' And we're more competing against our standards than we are against anyone else particular."

There are few streaks since the league merger that come close to rivaling the ones of Roethlisberger and Brady.

Peyton Manning is 17-3 against the Texans, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com. Hall of Famer Steve Young was 15-2 against the Rams. Of course, the Ravens' Joe Flacco has inflicted Roethlisberger-like damage to the Browns going 12-1 to start his career.

Pettine said he spoke briefly to the Bills about Brady's run prior to the start of last season. Before this year's opener, he discussed at length the Browns' failure against the Steelers without dwelling on the Big Ben component.

He was asked whether the quarterback's record can become a mental hurdle for players.

"There could be, but to me you're not just dealing with the quarterback, you're dealing with the team in general," Pettine said. "You look at the lack of success against Pittsburgh and that's what we talked about that first week."