PDA

View Full Version : Arena Football coming to Pittsburgh

SteelCityMan786
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081220-66.stm

Arena football team coming to Pittsburgh
Thursday, August 19, 2010
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A news conference is planned for Friday morning to outline a new Arena Football League team that will begin play at Consol Energy Center in April.

The team will rent the new arena from the Penguins, who do not have an ownership stake in the indoor football team. The name, logo and ownership details will be announced at the news conference. Steelers Hall of Fame receiver Lynn Swann is part of the ownership group.

Pittsburgh had an Arena team, the Gladiators, from 1987-1990. They played at the Civic Arena.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081220-66.stm#ixzz0x4YsmLaj

salamander
08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I know most people couldn't give a crap about Arena Football, but I actually enjoy it. We had a minor league team out here in Wilkes-Barre (played in the same arena as the WBS Pens) and I always went to the games. It was my football fix in the spring and summer. I'll be following this team for sure.

salamander
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
From what I've heard, some finalists for the name include the Pittsburgh Power or the Pittsburgh River Wizards. I'm ok with Power but River Wizards is kinda lame, imo.

X-Terminator
08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey, it's an alternative to watching the Pirates suck for 2-3 months between the end of hockey season and the start of Steelers' training camp and preseason. I'll be following them and may go to a couple of games.

cold-hard-steel
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Maybe we can use them as a place to stow away players we can't really sign right at the time,but don't want to risk placing on the practice squad. That would be sweet. Or would that be cheating?

salamander
08-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe we can use them as a place to stow away players we can't really sign right at the time,but don't want to risk placing on the practice squad. That would be sweet.

Just ask Kurt Warner what playing in the AFL can do for a young player.

st33lersguy
08-19-2010, 04:29 PM
sounds pretty cool, could be a big draw, we love our sports teams and would be a diversion from the succos.

SteelerEmpire
08-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Something to do outside of reg. football season if they package it the right way...

salamander
08-19-2010, 06:20 PM
If anyone wants to check out the Arena Football League at all, the website is www.arenafootball.com

kmsteelerwr15
08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
This is great news. I have been a big Arena football fan and glad to see it expanding to Pittsburgh

vader29
08-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Whatever name they choose I hope that they will use black and gold as their colors.

salamander
08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
This is great news. I have been a big Arena football fan and glad to see it expanding to Pittsburgh

What's your current favorite team?

SteelCityMan786
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I will be taking this team on as a favorite. I have been a follower of the Orlando Predators for years. Looks like my top team will be in Pittsburgh. I guess I will gladly do that.

salamander
08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I've followed the Philadelphia Soul (yes I know, a Philly team) for a little while now (even though they didn't play this year, they'll be back next year.) I'll still support them but I'll definitely be supporting this new team as well.

oh, and If anyone's interested, a good site to get A LOT of info on the AFL is www.aflfanzone.com. I'm a member over there and it's a good site to pick up some good info.

kmsteelerwr15
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I've followed the Philadelphia Soul (yes I know, a Philly team) for a little while now (even though they didn't play this year, they'll be back next year.) I'll still support them but I'll definitely be supporting this new team as well.

oh, and If anyone's interested, a good site to get A LOT of info on the AFL is www.aflfanzone.com (http://www.aflfanzone.com). I'm a member over there and it's a good site to pick up some good info.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have been a Soul fan since they were created (well I was born in the Philly area) but I do plan to support this team as well.

salamander
08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are. I have been a Soul fan since they were created (well I was born in the Philly area) but I do plan to support this team as well.

I live 2 hours north of Philly so if Pittsburgh plays there, I think I'll make the trek down to see that game. Either way, I'd like to get down to a Soul game. The only Arena Football games I've been to were the arenafootball2 (the AFL minor league) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers that played up here.

salamander
08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
The team is going to be the Pittsburgh Power

http://pittsburghpowerfootball.com/

Hindes204
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I actually saw the Gladiators play in Civic Arena back in the day, before they moved to Tampa and became the Storm...Im excited AFL is coming bck to the Burgh, and Power is a pretty cool name

SteelCityMom
08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
That's awesome! Looks like the tickets are pretty cheap as well...that's a good thing. For $35 endzone seats I'll gladly go check out a few games when the season starts up.

Great name too...I'm just glad they didn't go with The Pittsburgh River Wizards. I was concerned about that. :chuckle:

salamander
08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm getting pumped for this new team. I love Arena Football.

I guess this is their "promotional" video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKE7G-6-Oo&feature=player_embedded
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKE7G-6-Oo&feature=player_embedded)

st33lersguy
08-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Do we make "Renegade" a theme for the Power or is it only for the steelers?

salamander
08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Do we make "Renegade" a theme for the Power or is it only for the steelers?

I think the Pens use it too sometimes, so why not? Heck, even the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pens use it every once in awhile.

Edman
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The Power will pay rent to the Penguins to play in the Arena.

Anyway, It's a nice diversion from watching the Sorry Pirates and hearing Nutjob's excuses. The annual wait for Steelers Training Camp by Mid-July is getting old.

Oh, and they have Cheerleaders!

salamander
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
The Power will pay rent to the Penguins to play in the Arena.

Anyway, It's a nice diversion from watching the Sorry Pirates and hearing Nutjob's excuses. The annual wait for Steelers Training Camp by Mid-July is getting old.

Oh, and they have Cheerleaders!

Not just Cheerleaders, they're dancers! :chuckle:

hotrodder07
08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty pumped about this. I love all types of football, and Arena football can definitely be a fun distraction until Steelers football starts. Pittsburgh Power...rolls off the tongue! Cool name!

And Lynn Swann is a co-owner. That's pretty cool. :D

X-Terminator
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Just looked at some of the prices...looks like the upper deck for me. $50 for the cheapest lower-level side seat? Really??

salamander
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Just looked at some of the prices...looks like the upper deck for me. $50 for the cheapest lower-level side seat? Really??

Something that I've noticed is a lot of times when these teams first start up, they charge a lot for the better seats to help with the start up costs then they lower the prices. Hopefully that ends up being the case here... otherwise it's gonna look really stupid when the upper level is filled and the lower level isn't.

kmsteelerwr15
08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I live 2 hours north of Philly so if Pittsburgh plays there, I think I'll make the trek down to see that game. Either way, I'd like to get down to a Soul game. The only Arena Football games I've been to were the arenafootball2 (the AFL minor league) Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers that played up here.

I went to a bunch of Carolina Cobras games when they were in Charlotte and had a lot of fun. I even caught a ball at one of the games. And I got to see Rob Bironas play.

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Im pumped of course who isn't another sport to this proud city and Arena Football is a unique sport and of course any team from Pittsburgh and Ill be a die hard fan from day 1!

The WH
08-22-2010, 05:36 AM
This will be a good place for all of those confused fans that show up at Penguins games in Steelers gear to go.

IŽll never forget the time I almost got in a fight with a bunch of drunk Steelers fans that were screaming for Sid to be pulled in favor of Hines Ward.

HometownGal
08-22-2010, 05:45 AM
I love arena football and am thrilled that we're going to be treated to it here in the Burgh! :applaudit: I'll have to adjust my "sports fund", though, to make room for tickets to a couple of games! :heh:

BPS3akaWirels3
08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
This will be a good place for all of those confused fans that show up at Penguins games in Steelers gear to go.

IŽll never forget the time I almost got in a fight with a bunch of drunk Steelers fans that were screaming for Sid to be pulled in favor of Hines Ward.

Do what?? lol Not sure what I think of this yet.. I have watched arena football from time to time but never get too in to it..

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I love arena football and am thrilled that we're going to be treated to it here in the Burgh! :applaudit: I'll have to adjust my "sports fund", though, to make room for tickets to a couple of games! :heh:
I agree Im so excited to have a new sport here and Ill love the Power till the end, but man just more money coming out of my pocket!

Texasteel
08-22-2010, 11:56 AM

I use to go to Arena Football game in Dallas all the time. For anyone that has been to one, you have to go to at least one. It's a real kick. Be ready for none stop action.

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Ill have season tickets for sure!

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I went to see a game at Amway Arena in Orlando. It's RIDICULOUS. It's like walking into a sports bar everyone's have a good time and then before you know it an explosion happens and then a Football game breaks out.

salamander
08-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I went to see a game at Amway Arena in Orlando. It's RIDICULOUS. It's like walking into a sports bar everyone's have a good time and then before you know it an explosion happens and then a Football game breaks out.

That pretty much sums up Arena Football :chuckle:

It's awesome. I love going to Arena Football games. I love being so close to the action.

I say we all get tickets together for the first game and have a big SU Cheering section. :bananalama:

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM

It's awesome. I love going to Arena Football games. I love being so close to the action.

I say we all get tickets together for the first game and have a big SU Cheering section. :bananalama:

Hopefully I can make it that day. Or in the least maybe FSN or the CW would have coverage of the game.

salamander
08-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Hopefully I can make it that day. Or in the least maybe FSN or the CW would have coverage of the game.

The NFL Network aired the AFL games this year, but I'm sure there's local stations that will cover the games.

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 06:40 PM

count me in haha I would love to be front row at a game right in front of the action!

SteelCityMan786
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The NFL Network aired the AFL games this year, but I'm sure there's local stations that will cover the games.

I don't get the NFL Network!!! Thankfully we get the CW, KDKA, WTAE(KDKA and WTAEonly during certain times), and FSN. Although I really watch those networks at select times.

steelerdude15
08-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I'd rather have an NBA team, but that's just me.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd rather have an NBA team, but that's just me.

Hell No... The NBA died 10 plus years ago in my eyes... I haven't watched a game since Jordan retired....

steelpride12
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
I hate NBA and so happy we got an AFL team than that. Just never got into the sport, I love to play it, but Arena Football is fast paced and exciting!

steelerdude15
08-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I personally could care less about arena football. I love the Steelers and Pitt, but that's it. I love college basketball, with Pitt being my team. I really don't watch the NBA, but if Pittsburgh had an NBA team I would watch.

salamander
08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I personally could care less about arena football. I love the Steelers and Pitt, but that's it. I love college basketball, with Pitt being my team. I really don't watch the NBA, but if Pittsburgh had an NBA team I would watch.

Party pooper. :nono: :chuckle:

salamander
08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
count me in haha I would love to be front row at a game right in front of the action!

I got front row seats for a playoff game once for our team up here and it was effing awesome.

Texasteel
08-23-2010, 08:06 PM

Don't be surprised if you end up with someone in your lap.

Godfather
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Maybe we can use them as a place to stow away players we can't really sign right at the time,but don't want to risk placing on the practice squad. That would be sweet. Or would that be cheating?

Wouldn't be cheating. The NFL has a rule to deal with that. An NFL team can own an Arena team, but any player who gets "promoted" must clear waivers first.

steelpride12
08-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Don't be surprised if you end up with someone in your lap.
Just thinking that could happen is awesome, that's the best part about arena football!

steelpride12
08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.pittsburghpowerfootball.com/ Here's the new website Woo im gettin excited now!

salamander
08-25-2010, 12:02 PM
The team is going to be the Pittsburgh Power

http://pittsburghpowerfootball.com/

http://www.pittsburghpowerfootball.com/ Here's the new website Woo im gettin excited now!

I beat you to it :wink02: :chuckle:

But anyways, I know this team is going to be awesome. Just another Black and Gold team to cheer on!!

steelpride12
08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
^ haha my bad Nepa I always knew not reading old posts would bite me in the ass, but hell ya man for sure!

salamander
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
^ haha my bad Nepa I always knew not reading old posts would bite me in the ass, but hell ya man for sure!

Haha, all is forgiven. I was only joking with ya. :bounce:

What if they go with a heavy goal line set and score a TD (even in Arena ball, they use it sometimes)... is it a power Power TD?? :scratchchin:

steelpride12
08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Haha, all is forgiven. I was only joking with ya. :bounce:

What if they go with a heavy goal line set and score a TD (even in Arena ball, they use it sometimes)... is it a power Power TD?? :scratchchin:
Im sure they will come up with some corny play name or call, but I still like the sound of it!

salamander
08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I found this on my cell phone. It's from a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers game last year. Seeing it gets me pumped up for some Arena Football in Pittsburgh!

http://img295.imageshack.us/i/piosn.png/http://img295.imageshack.us/i/piosn.png/

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3350/piosn.th.png (http://img295.imageshack.us/i/piosn.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

steelpride12
08-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Woo! Im just wondering if were going to have a huge turnout of a fan base at first or ever. Arena football just has not been a huge success over the years for any teams win or lose and being we are a faithful city who loves our Football and all sports teams how will we show it.

salamander
08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I think the first game will be probably be at least close to being sold-out then it'll probably fizzle out throughout the season. Our Arena holds around 8,000 for Arena Football but we only averaged around 5,500 per game, which really isn't terrible because it's obviously not a huge arena. I think that had a lot to do with the fact that the WBS Pens are much more popular in this area as well as our AAA baseball team (the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees). So I guess we'll have just to wait and see.

At least we can still use Terrible Towels! haha. Thank goodness all the sports teams in the 'Burgh are Black and Gold. :tt02:

steelpride12
08-27-2010, 02:21 AM
I know Pittsburgh Power not a bad name pretty cool, I just can't wait to go!

KeiselPower99
09-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Im stoked about the Pittsburgh Power. Be kinda cool if they package a Flyers/Pens Power/Soul weekend double header.

X-Terminator
09-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I agree Im so excited to have a new sport here and Ill love the Power till the end, but man just more money coming out of my pocket!

Upper Deck General Admission is just $15, and it covers every section except center. I think you can make it to at least 1 game if you save your pennies between now and January when individual tickets go on sale. :wink02: Season tickets are just $119 in GA, for those who are interested, and you can buy them right now. Hell, even upper deck mid-field is only $25 per game and $198 for season tickets. Both are bargains, if you ask me.