PDA

View Full Version : Whispers From The Steelers' Locker Room

stillers4me
09-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Monday was the day for fresh media meat to enter the locker room and ask the same question that those who covered the game on Sunday were all asking:

What can the Steelers do to commit fewer penalties?

Cameron Heyward (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827995) had the best answer:

"Stop doing it."

One of the least penalized teams in the NFL the last two mediocre seasons is now second with 44 penalties through the first month of this season as they've suddenly become "undisciplined."

"We're not undisciplined," Heyward said. "We just need to learn from it. If we continue to do it then we'll be undisciplined. We have to make some growth right now. Whether it's just celebrating after a play, getting mad at refs for a bad play, that's going to happen in a game and we have to learn from it."
"Getting mad at the refs," hangs on Heyward. He raged at the lack of a holding call that was in full view of at least one official, who on tape is seen staring straight at Sean Spence (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827742) as he was having his jersey stretched in the open field to allow the back to turn the corner for a touchdown.................

read more @ http://pit.scout.com/story/1458019-whispers-from-the-steelers-locker-room

fansince'76
09-30-2014, 06:03 PM
One of the least penalized teams in the NFL the last two mediocre seasons...

Really? I hear tell the penalty/discipline issue over the past month has been an ongoing trend for the last 8 seasons. :rolleyes:

Getting mad at the refs," hangs on Heyward. He raged at the lack of a holding call that was in full view of at least one official, who on tape is seen staring straight at Sean Spence as he was having his jersey stretched in the open field to allow the back to turn the corner for a touchdown.................

Can anybody really blame him? I'm beyond tired of the shitty officiating (which only seems to grow progressively worse EVERY year thanks largely to the ever-growing number of "safety" rules) myself.

Devilsdancefloor
09-30-2014, 06:32 PM
i hate disagree with Cam,but yes as a team you are undisciplined and i agree the refs are looking for "safety" penalties more than common old holding, but i have ALWAYS said good teams over come bad calls and right now we are not that team. I am hoping the will make me eat my words, but they are bad great talent, just not playing as a team more about individual achievements

Butch
09-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I did not see the game but had my son texting me the action over the phone. He stated on one play that Ben was Horse collard and yet there was no flag. He further stated that the announcers stated that because he was in the pocket it is not a penalty. WTF??? Correct me if I am wrong, but if there was a Horse collar it should be called regardless of where it happened on the field. Did anyone else notice this?

I am not blaming that for our loss...far from it, but it does bring into question why the officiating is so one sided. Are we like the Raiders (who thumbed their noses at the NFL) being penalized for voting against the CBA? On Wheatons disallowed TD against Carolina a defender clearly jumped yet there was no flag, instead the focus was solely on the TD and if it was a catch or not. We won that game so my point is not that these cost us games rather how come so many blatant penalties are not being called. Just my 2 cents.

tube517
09-30-2014, 06:46 PM
I did not see the game but had my son texting me the action over the phone. He stated on one play that Ben was Horse collard and yet there was no flag. He further stated that the announcers stated that because he was in the pocket it is not a penalty. WTF??? Correct me if I am wrong, but if there was a Horse collar it should be called regardless of where it happened on the field. Did anyone else notice this?

I am not blaming that for our loss...far from it, but it does bring into question why the officiating is so one sided. Are we like the Raiders (who thumbed their noses at the NFL) being penalized for voting against the CBA? On Wheatons disallowed TD against Carolina a defender clearly jumped yet there was no flag, instead the focus was solely on the TD and if it was a catch or not. We won that game so my point is not that these cost us games rather how come so many blatant penalties are not being called. Just my 2 cents.

The refs called (no called) that correctly. A horse collar tackle on the QB, who is in the pocket, is not a penalty.

Now, if they really cared about player safety, especially the QB, it should be a penalty.

ALLD
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
It all comes down to mostly everybody is not ready for prime time and at this time the team is mostly fuckheads.

Shoes
09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Keisel said. “We have to get consistent pressure on the quarterback"

Now who is going to do that, Mr. Keisel? I swear these guys sound like politicians.

The Bark
09-30-2014, 08:34 PM

Now who is going to do that, Mr. Keisel? I swear these guys sound like politicians.

LOL. True, they do - especially Tomlin. I'd much rather see them take more chances with blitzing, having the players line up all over the place. Funny how a trait of consistency is predictability - yet that's exactly what the defense has become: predictable.

HollywoodSteel
09-30-2014, 08:42 PM

I'm as pissed at this team as anyone else, but what do you want them to say, that they just suck and shouldn't bother making the trip to Jacksonville? I'm not attacking you, Shoes, since I agree that they sound like politicians. I'm just not sure that they can give a satisfying answer. The last thing I want to see them do is act as defeated as we all feel.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I hear tell the penalty/discipline issue over the past month has been an ongoing trend for the last 8 seasons. :rolleyes:

Can anybody really blame him? I'm beyond tired of the shitty officiating (which only seems to grow progressively worse EVERY year thanks largely to the ever-growing number of "safety" rules) myself.

I heard Tomlin on a radio interview this morning and I was kind of pleased to hear him tell the straight up truth about that one. While he went on about needing more discipline and all that, he specifically said that if he were in Cam's position he probably would have done the same exact thing since it was a blatant hold that was not called. He sounded pissed too. I'm not sure I've ever heard Tomlin actually call out a ref before. I liked it.

Shoes
09-30-2014, 08:52 PM
I'm as pissed at this team as anyone else, but what do you want them to say, that they just suck and shouldn't bother making the trip to Jacksonville? I'm not attacking you, Shoes, since I agree that they sound like politicians. I'm just not sure that they can give a satisfying answer. The last thing I want to see them do is act as defeated as we all feel.

Who says they have to give an answer? How about not saying anything, how about rolling up the sleeves after spending sometime in front of the mirror and just lead by example. Talk is cheap and there is plenty of it on this team. These guys make one good play and their heads swell up two fold. Unfortunately the guy at the helm is a talker and that is where his security lies.

SteelerFanInStl
09-30-2014, 08:52 PM
"Getting mad at the refs," hangs on Heyward. He raged at the lack of a holding call that was in full view of at least one official, who on tape is seen staring straight at Sean Spence (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827742) as he was having his jersey stretched in the open field to allow the back to turn the corner for a touchdown.................

This is the shit that really pisses me off and I'm really tired of it. The damn officials just stand there and refuse to call holding. It's ridiculous!

HollywoodSteel
09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Who says they have to give an answer? How about not saying anything, how about rolling up the sleeves after spending sometime in front of the mirror and just lead by example. Talk is cheap and there is plenty of it on this team. These guys make one good play and their heads swell up two fold. Unfortunately the guy at the helm is a talker and that is where his security lies.

Not saying anything is a possibility I guess, but they'd seem pretty pouty and unprofessional if nobody said anything in a locker room full of journalists. It's actually part of the players' jobs to go through that, and the head coach contractually has to give a statement and press conference.

Shoes
09-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Not saying anything is a possibility I guess, but they'd seem pretty pouty and unprofessional if nobody said anything in a locker room full of journalists. It's actually part of the players' jobs to go through that, and the head coach contractually has to give a statement and press conference.

Unprofessional is how they played Sunday. Remember what Joe Green and Blount said about Chuck Noll. He didn't talk much, but when he did everyone listened (my paraphrase). I'm not saying these guys have to put tape over their mouths, but listening, observing, thinking, less talk and more deeds will speak volumes.

Butch
09-30-2014, 09:33 PM
The refs called (no called) that correctly. A horse collar tackle on the QB, who is in the pocket, is not a penalty.

Now, if they really cared about player safety, especially the QB, it should be a penalty.

Thanks Tube, and yes it should be, I'm sure if it happens to Peyton in the Superbowl we will see the rule expand.

Shoes
09-30-2014, 09:41 PM
How about this whisper from a guy who got a DUI on the way to the team aircraft.

I wonder if he'll continue his first down celebrating?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-plans-continue-celebrating-big-plays-touchdowns/

Texasteel
09-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Tube, and yes it should be, I'm sure if it happens to Peyton in the Superbowl we will see the rule expand.

On the spot. They wouldn't even wait for a rule change.

SteelMayhem72
09-30-2014, 10:40 PM
How about this whisper from a guy who got a DUI on the way to the team aircraft.

I wonder if he'll continue his first down celebrating?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-plans-continue-celebrating-big-plays-touchdowns/
I hope he gets flagged everytime and benched...this is not a team player...im sick of the individuals on this team and sick of tomlin especially after he played the race card...im done!!! Chuck knoll is rolling over in his grave and i hope hr resurrects and fires tomlin. Ive been a fan since the 70s and have never seen such showboating personal acolades in my life...yes im talking about you AB, BELL, etc....
Sorry...its chuck noll

fansince'76
09-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Remember what Joe Green and Blount said about Chuck Noll. He didn't talk much, but when he did everyone listened (my paraphrase). I'm not saying these guys have to put tape over their mouths, but listening, observing, thinking, less talk and more deeds will speak volumes.

Yes, but by the same token, the Steelers of the '70s didn't have to deal with ESPN, or the 24-hour news cycle, or NFL Network or the zillion other offshoot cable channels looking for soundbites and a piece of the NFL action, or the instant communication that the Internet (and, by extension, Twitter) provides either.

Mojouw
10-01-2014, 12:06 AM
So 1974 was 40 years ago. If the average age of Steelers player is about 26, that means that era of football was 14 years before most of this team was even born.

I think, maybe, just maybe, we need to let it go a bit.

First down celebrations do not equal penalties by definition. I don't seem to remember anyone complaining when various players danced and celebrated in game during recent SB runs.

So only winning teams get to celebrate? How do the players know during the game that they are going to be on the winning team?

What about all those highlights of Lambert standing over guys taunting them and giving them the business? What about Bettis and his dances after big runs? What about Llyod and the antics he would do after a sack or big hit?

I get that the players are making a series of mental errors. We have established that despite what we all would want to believe, this is an aberration and represents a 4 game trend - not a 40 game trend. But we are starting to connect dots that likely are not there. We are now crossing over into reading way too much into coach-speak and player cliche from contractually mandated media sessions.

fansince'76
10-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I don't seem to remember anyone complaining when various players danced and celebrated in game during recent SB runs.

Yeah...me neither...

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2008/11/03/s081103_steelers.jpg

X-Terminator
10-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Personally, people make way too much of a big deal out of first down celebrations and the like. Most of them are old people too (no disrespect to older ladies and gents on this forum, but it's the truth). They are human beings, not robots. Let them have fun playing the game, of course so long as it's within the rules.

And obviously celebrating is fine if you're winning...according to the fans. If you're losing, well, you're not allowed to celebrate or have fun anymore.

tube517
10-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Personally, people make way too much of a big deal out of first down celebrations and the like. Most of them are old people too (no disrespect to older ladies and gents on this forum, but it's the truth). They are human beings, not robots. Let them have fun playing the game, of course so long as it's within the rules.

And obviously celebrating is fine if you're winning...according to the fans. If you're losing, well, you're not allowed to celebrate or have fun anymore.

I'm old and I don't mind the celebrations :lol:

Seriously, the one time I got very mad at the First down celebration "Point" is when Sandoobio was doing it during the WINNING DRIVE in XLIII ? The team was running up the field in hurry up/no huddle move and he was doing that crap when he should have been getting in position.

fansince'76
10-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Let them have fun playing the game, of course so long as it's within the rules.

The rules themselves are a big part of the problem too. You can't go to the ground in celebration, unless it's a *Christian* prayer. Scratch that, unless it's also a Muslim prayer that the refs don't recognize as a Muslim prayer until after the fact. But then it's too late because the flag has already been thrown and the penalty yards have already been assessed. But we still have to acknowledge that the penalty was a mistake so ISIS doesn't add the NFL to its list of infidel targets or whatever.

And "group" celebrations are a no-no too, but the "Lambeau Leap" is A-OK.

The "celebration regulation" shit has gotten every bit as ridiculous and out-of-hand as the celebrations themselves.

Mojouw
10-01-2014, 12:55 AM
The rules themselves are a big part of the problem too. You can't go to the ground in celebration, unless it's a *Christian* prayer. Scratch that, unless it's also a Muslim prayer that the refs don't recognize as a Muslim prayer until after the fact. But then it's too late because the flag has already been thrown and the penalty yards have already been assessed. But we still have to acknowledge that the penalty was a mistake so ISIS doesn't add the NFL to its list of infidel targets or whatever.

And "group" celebrations are a no-no too, but the "Lambeau Leap" is A-OK.

The "celebration regulation" shit has gotten every bit as ridiculous and out-of-hand as the celebrations themselves.

But without penalties against celebrations players could tarnish the shield!

Randy Moss pantomimed mooning most of Lambeau and everyone lived. People still laugh about it here.

NCSteeler
10-01-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm only against some of the celebrating bs when you are losing, literally behind. Your down 3 TDs I don't wanna see you dancing when you make the first points of the day late in the 4th Qtr. I honestly do get tired of the continual 1st down bit. I'm pretty sure Hines reserved it for big ones, not every single damn 1st down.

Steeldude
10-02-2014, 07:39 AM
I wonder how many holding penalties were ignored when Harrison was rushing the backfield? It seemed like he was held on nearly every play.

cold-hard-steel
10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
After last years 0-4 start , i'll take a 2-2 start any day.I am not in any panic mode at this time , and i really believe they will get better before it's too late. Whether all the penalties caused the losses or not , one thing is for sure , they certainly did not help the cause too much . I think we have about what , 23 new faces starting this year ? I think they just need some time to meld . I'm positive things will get better .

Texasteel
10-05-2014, 09:15 AM
I wonder how many holding penalties were ignored when Harrison was rushing the backfield? It seemed like he was held on nearly every play.

I would be surprised if the refs were told to look the other way on holding in pass protection, just to protect the QB and increase the passing game. Sounds like a Goodell move to me.

Count Steeler
10-05-2014, 09:53 AM
I would be surprised if the refs were told to look the other way on holding in pass protection, just to protect the QB and increase the passing game. Sounds like a Goodell move to me.

And it fits what we are seeing on the field. Basically, a defensive player has to have a shirt tugged or get tackled for the refs to even consider throwing the flag. Even bear hugs are allowed these days.

ALLD
10-05-2014, 10:16 AM
And it fits what we are seeing on the field. Basically, a defensive player has to have a shirt tugged or get tackled for the refs to even consider throwing the flag. Even bear hugs are allowed these days.

Unless you are a Steeler, then let the laundry fly.