PDA

View Full Version : Fire Tomlin? Be careful for what you wish

stillers4me
09-29-2014, 05:46 PM
The knee-jerk reaction of some fans to any downturn in the success of the team they root for is to fire the coach/manager and/or fire the general manager. In some cases, the Tampa Bay Bucs, for example, that response might be understandable.

But when that kind of talk focuses around the Steelers, it makes no sense.

Mike Tomlin is in his seventh season as coach of the Steelers. During his first six full seasons, he not only never had a losing record, but he went to the playoffs four times, to the Super Bowl twice and won the Super Bowl once.

And spare me the nonsense that he did it with another man’s players...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2013/10/29/Fire-Tomlin-Be-careful-for-what-you-wish/stories/201310290135

polamalubeast
09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Bill Polian was fired after just one bad season and it was without Peyton Manning

Colbert and Tomlin have been very good in the past, but the reality is that the Steelers are 18-18 since 2012 and if nothing changes,it will take major changes in this team.

steelreserve
09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry, but after seven seasons you can hardly be described as "impatient" or a "knee-jerk" reaction. This isn't about one embarrassing loss; it's about the team not having its shit together, year in and year out, on a regular basis.

The "won the Super Bowl with another guy's team" argument would be bogus if Tomlin kept having success once it was mostly his own players, but he didn't. So it's not an irrelevant argument. I'm not talking about winning the Super Bowl every year, just make the playoffs once in a while. What it really looks like is that he inherited a team full of great players, and the more of them have to be replaced with his own guys, the worse it gets.

I don't know whether that's because the talent of the new guys is lacking, or because they don't fit together into a "team" like the old one most certainly was ... but either way, it is not coming together.

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm sorry, but after seven seasons you can hardly be described as "impatient" or a "knee-jerk" reaction. This isn't about one embarrassing loss; it's about the team not having its shit together, year in and year out, on a regular basis.

The "won the Super Bowl with another guy's team" argument would be bogus if Tomlin kept having success once it was mostly his own players, but he didn't. So it's not an irrelevant argument. I'm not talking about winning the Super Bowl every year, just make the playoffs once in a while. What it really looks like is that he inherited a team full of great players, and the more of them have to be replaced with his own guys, the worse it gets.

I don't know whether that's because the talent of the new guys is lacking, or because they don't fit together into a "team" like the old one most certainly was ... but either way, it is not coming together.

Exactly. There's nothing "knee jerk" about this.

st33lersguy
09-29-2014, 06:04 PM
He hasn't been getting the job done, plain and simple

Moose
09-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks stillers4me for sharing, interesting read. The comments that followed the article were MORE interesting, and some really hit the nail on the head !

Count Steeler
09-29-2014, 06:41 PM
This team is not playing and representing itself the way we would like to see.

This is not new. This is not isolated. In fact, this is on a continual downward trend. This is what is alarming. Especially this season when the team has stayed pretty healthy, compared to previous seasons.

Art II needs to issue a memo that discipline is mandatory. Effort needs to be 100% from start to finish. And, oh yeah, remember to wear your jock strap.

Seriously though, we are talking about professional players, playing for one of the storied franchises in the NFL. How are they getting away with not giving 100% every game, for 60 minutes? That comes on the coaches. If the environment allows for incompetence, no discipline, no urgency, that is on the coaches. Was it not pre game 3 against the Eagles that Tomlin demanded to see urgency? Players certainly didn't take that to heart.

Dwinsgames
09-29-2014, 07:23 PM
The knee-jerk reaction of some fans to any downturn in the success of the team they root for is to fire the coach/manager and/or fire the general manager. In some cases, the Tampa Bay Bucs, for example, that response might be understandable.

But when that kind of talk focuses around the Steelers, it makes no sense.

Mike Tomlin is in his seventh season as coach of the Steelers. During his first six full seasons, he not only never had a losing record, but he went to the playoffs four times, to the Super Bowl twice and won the Super Bowl once.

And spare me the nonsense that he did it with another man’s players...........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2013/10/29/Fire-Tomlin-Be-careful-for-what-you-wish/stories/201310290135

how knee jerk is it when its been talked about for nearly 3 years by some fans 2 by many

fansince'76
09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
This story is from last October. :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-29-2014, 08:46 PM
This story is from last October. :chuckle:

Lather, rinse, repeat. :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
09-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Lather, rinse, repeat. :chuckle:

lol so football is like washing your hair ....gotcha now I got this thing all figured out haha

Devilsdancefloor
09-29-2014, 11:25 PM
he needs to use one just one of his catch phrases "the standard is the standard"
http://i59.tinypic.com/2dme3v5.jpg

For me this is the standard