PDA

View Full Version : LB Sean Spence First Start Well Worth Wait

GBMelBlount
09-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Faith, persistence and a whole lot’ta heart.

That’s all I can say about how someone like Pittsburgh Steelers Sean Spence went from having his knee practically obliterated in his rookie season to now starting at inside linebacker just two seasons later. There’s no embellishment in that statement either. Sean Spence was very close to just being done after suffering that knee injury in the final game of the preseason back in 2012. The multiple tears were very severe and docs first thought that Spence would also have extensive nerve damage in that area.

The Steelers kept their faith in Spence after his injury. In a move that showed real class, the Steelers kept Spence around while he healed following his surgery. They could have just as easily waved goodbye and parted ways with now damaged goods. Instead, the Steelers placed Spence on the IR and kept him there until he was ready to start working with the team again.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/Steelers-LB-Sean-Spence-First-Start-Well-Worth-Wait-2-10458551

Jaucer
09-25-2014, 09:21 PM
aka, Rocky Bleier.

Shoes
09-25-2014, 09:53 PM
I hope Spence makes Shazier fight like hell to get his job back.

Craic
09-25-2014, 10:11 PM
aka, Rocky Bleier.

Um, no. A bullet in the left leg and severe shrapnel wounds in the right. He was told he'd never play again and was twice cut by the Steelers. I know the general idea you're going for, but what Spence went through doesn't hold a light to Bleier's journey.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed with Spence's will and attitude. I wish the kid nothing but luck and think that he's shown an amazing amount of character. There's just no way he can be compared to Bleier.

steelreserve
09-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah, sports compared to actual war is no comparison at all.

It's still a hell of an accomplishment what Spence has done, and a truly uplifting story, but hurting your knee in a football game is not even remotely the same thing as people throwing grenades at you.

ALLD
09-26-2014, 08:57 AM
They don't want to make a Rod Woodson mistake twice.

slashsteel
09-27-2014, 06:09 PM
They don't want to make a Rod Woodson mistake twice.

it wasn't a "mistake"

he was coming off a serious injury and the Steelers saw him as a S as a result.

Woodson wanted to stay at corner so a new team gave him that opportunity

he excelled after he moved to safety shorty after.......... so no not a Steeler mistake, in regards to Woodson.

ALLD
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Cowher's biggest regret as a coach, said when they let Woodson walk. You find room on a team for a HoFer.

slashsteel
09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Woodson was the stubborn party, so I am sure Cowher sugarcoated the situation with the media tailgating him. But that doesn't sway away from the truth of the matter. If Rod would have accepted a S position sooner he would have stayed a Steeler...........