PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early

polamalubeast
09-25-2014, 01:31 PM
When it comes to football age, at 33, Troy Polamalu is old.

So, it is understandable why Polamalu has a soft spot in his heart for the old guys, especially the ones who played alongside him for a number of years with the Steelers.

Over the last four years alone, consider who the Steelers jettisoned from their defense because they were too old:
* Aaron Smith
* Casey Hampton
* Brett Keisel
* James Farrior
* James Harrison
* Ryan Clark

Polamalu and Ike Taylor very well could be on deck.

In the now, the turnover led to back-to-back 8-8 seasons, which, as we now know, isn’t good enough.
Now, the Steelers brought back Keisel right before the season and Harrison a couple days ago that led to Polamalu standing up for some of his old pals.
“When you bring a guy like (Harrison) back and you don’t dig into your youth it tells you something,” Polamalu said. “It tells you that some of the older guys still would’ve helped us out if they would’ve kept them around.”

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/09/25/kaboly-polamalu-says-steelers-got-rid-of-the-old-guys-on-defense-too-early/#ixzz3ELzAPEV4
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

steelreserve
09-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Sorry dude, but I don't know what else we could've done. All of these guys were 35 or 36 years old when we let go of them.

Smith was basically forced to retire due to injury.

Hampton went into the steep decline well before his final season, and his contract simply ran out.

Farrior and Clark had both lost two and a half steps by the time we let their deals expire.

Keisel's and Harrison's situation was strictly about trying to agree on the money.

It's more like, if the player is still contributing, we try to keep them around, even though they ain't gonna get paid like they used to. But at some point there's really nothing you can do. Our family's "second" car was built in 1988, and while it held up remarkably well for most of the 12+ years we've owned it, at some point the fact that it's a nearly 30-year old car takes its toll, and you have to move on.

I'm confident that if a player like Troy still has something to contribute, he'll be around. The fact that he's still the unquestioned starter at age 33 and just signed a 3-year contract ought to tell you something about how we value him.

ALLD
09-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Aaron Smith could not stay on the field. As described above, it was all about the $ with Keisel and Harrison. I thought maybe they would have kept Hampton if they weren't squeezed for cap space. Clark can longer play the style of fottball that made him the hardest hitting Steeler ever and possibly top 5 all time in any era. As a cover guy who needs to wrap up to tackle, he is no good and slow.

Jaucer
09-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Now if this is really true about what Troy said, it pisses me off. This smells of him seeing his owe decline and wants that last bit of money. I just can't see this out of him but I hate to say I hate that type of attitude from any player. They all claim they understand the business side of football except when it happens to them. Troy should know that as well as anyone. It has nothing to do with age, well actually it did with Cowher he held onto players he shouldn't have. It has everything to do with getting better at any position you can. You always take a younger guy who is playing even remotely close to the level of veteran, especially one about to retire, over said veteran.

Edman
09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Troy needs to get a grip.

Even if the Veterans were playing decently, It was going to happen eventually. Everyone hits a wall. The Steelers had to say goodbye to Joe Greene a long time ago, and he put the franchise on the map. It's the nature of the sport and business. No one can play in the NFL forever. Aaron Smith couldn't stay on the field. The coaches even sat down Ziggy Hood for him (before he sucked, anyway). James Farrior was getting victimized by Tight Ends week after week. Ryan Clark simply can't play anymore period.

The only reason why we even brought Harrison back was because Jarvis Jones got hurt. If Jarvis hadn't gotten his wrist smashed, Harrison would still be at home with his family, retired.

Keisel is merely a stopgap at this point for Tuitt.

The fact that you're still even on the team and starting is pretty damn generous on part of the Steelers, Troy.

slashsteel
09-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Troy loved those guys I don't get annoyed for his loyalty, or for the Steelers needing to move on. Reality is a lot of teams very well might have cut string way before the Steelers did.