PDA

View Full Version : The Two-Way Street: Star Athletes And Their Private Lives

polamalubeast
08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Beginning to get the picture?

In Pittsburgh, it's Sidney Crosby and Ben Roethlisberger. The way each athlete has been marketed to the public is similar, though with strikingly different starts and finishes.

Sidney Crosby was destined for greatness since the age of 14, anointed by Wayne Gretzky as "The Next One." Since coming to Pittsburgh, Crosby has lived up to and surpassed even the most optimistic expectations of him, captaining a once-doomed franchise to the Stanley Cup and a perennial spot amongst the NHL's elite. But don't forget Sidney Crosby the humanitarian or the kid who just loves to play hockey - he's in there too.

And then you have Ben Roethlisberger. "Big Ben" was considered the next one as well, but for completely different reasons. On his high school football team, Roethlisberger backed up the coach's son until his senior year, perennially the next in line. When he finally received his opportunity, Roethlisberger wowed audiences and was given a shot by the Miami University of Ohio Redhawks to play as their starting quarterback. Sure, Roethlisberger was raw, but the talent was there. At Miami, he shined, and, as a junior, he declared for the NFL Draft and was quickly snapped up by the Steelers in the first round.

In Pittsburgh, Ben exceeded high expectations, playing impressively as a rookie before winning two Super Bowls and maturing into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks. Much like Crosby, there was also Roethlisberger the humanitarian, the gunslinger who plays to win the game.

read more

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2010/8/19/1618151/privacy-vs-publicity-tiger-woods-ben-roethlisberger-sidney-crosby

HometownGal
08-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Though I have moved past Ben's public dickie dunkin', there is one glaring difference between him and Sid. Sid is 5 years younger than Ben but has evolved into an extremely mature adult who, as the face of the Pens franchise, has embraced that role as a privilege and an honor instead of taking it for granted as I feel Ben has. Ben could learn a lot from Sid's lead.

I believe this is the year of "The Ben". He's rumored to be working hard to get his head together and I have the utmost faith in him that he will, which will not only reap the benefits off the field, but on.

Killer
08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben
Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben Ben

I am sick of this shit - enough already.

Play ball.

fansince'76
08-19-2010, 07:27 AM
I am sick of this shit - enough already.

Play ball.

This. Ben should strive to be like Sid in his personal life. Got it the first 10,000 times it was said. :coffee:

SirHulka
08-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Roethlisberger's problem isn't between his legs. It's between his ears. IF he gets his head out of his butt, and keeps it out, he could get over this. But the danger is, if he comes back and has a great, or even good, year this season, is he going to be able to keep his ego in check? His problem has never been on the field, it's during the off-season when he has lots of time to kill, and nothing to do. Is he going to be able to stay Ben Roethlisberger, or is he going to revert to Big Ben? Ego has ruined more than one player with talent.

(Plus what you just said)